iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal as a ceiliing material?

Started by happyj, December 03, 2009, 11:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyj

I was asked about installing metal as a ceiling in a workshop. I thought about it for a minute and still am unsure of the answer. The guy wants to use it and put insulation above it. The garage is just heated when occupied so i was concerned about it condensing on the inside of the building and dropping on the floor.

is that true or would it work?

Tom

Done properly, it might work. The metal might have to have air-holes in it.

Earlier in my life, some ceilings were metal. They looked a lot like drop ceilings and were made with metal "tiles" that locked together. I don't know how they were hung or what was behind them. They were mostly found in commercial buildings.

D Hagens

Yup! A suspended T-bar ceiling with metal inserts and insulation above will work great as long as your roof above doesn't leak. :)

scsmith42

Quote from: D Hagens on December 04, 2009, 12:14:16 AM

Yup! A suspended T-bar ceiling with metal inserts and insulation above will work great as long as your roof above doesn't leak. :)

+1. 

It doesn't even have to be a suspended T-bar ceiling.  I've seen metal buildings built where the interior - including the ceilings - was finished out in the same type of painted metal corrugated panels as the exterior.  It looked sharp and worked well.

Here is a link to "America's Best Home Workshops 2009".  A few pictures down the page is a woodshop with a ceiling similar to what I mentioned above.

http://www.woodstore.net/ambehowo20.html

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Gary_C

Yes, Scott is right. Metal corrugated panels just like the building siding have been used for ceilings in many applications around here like dairy barns, shops, etc. You can even buy those ceiling panels in corrugated poly for places where they are washed down frequently.

You just don't use them in buildings with heat and no insulation behind them. That is sure to create condensation and problems.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

happyj

Thanks all

I was concerned about the changes in heat. He intends to spot heat it when working in it so that seems like it might encourage condensation?
I think it would look good as well and there would be no mud and tape or paint required.

LeeB

I've seen the 3/4" corrugated used for the ceiling in restaurants and I intend to use it in my basement when I finish it out for a rustic look.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thehardway

Decorative pressed tins were used for buildings and homes a long time ago.  I have been thinking about trying to produce some of my own tins by making a die set from wood and then running it through my thickness planer as a pressing mechanism.  Haven't had time to try it though.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

John Bartley

I'd use metal in a heartbeat, and not just for a ceiling. I'd put it on the ceiling and all the walls, especially in a shop where I'd want a rugged surface with fire resistance and resistance to moisture. I'd also be sure to insulate it well so that it doesn't get condensation on the upper side. I'd also put a bit of a pitch (a degree or two) into it and provide a drain of some kind just in case of a possible moisture accumulation (roof leak or whatever).

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

happyj

thanks for all the replies i will pass that on to my friend. I never thought about it on the interior walls either...

stonebroke

If you use it for interior walls put on some sheets of plywood either four or eight foot high. metal dents real easy and it is nice to be able to nail stuff onto the wall.

Stonebroke

Larry

I've used it three times on ceilings and once on walls.  The good points for ceilings...quick, easy, and with white really brightens the room up.  Most manufactures have an economy or second's metal for interior use which is cheaper and just as good as the high priced stuff.  The only bad point is it is hard to detail where the ceiling meets the walls.  On the ends I just use caulk and hope my wall is straight so I won't have any large gaps.  On one side it's caulk again and on the off side I use an angle.  I don't like using it on walls...to much work with outlets, switches, doors, and windows to cut around.  The one that I did do we put all the electrical in conduit and surface mounted everything.

In this picture the room is 24' long so I had the tin cut 12' 3" and overlapped it in the center.  Makes it a easy one man job and also helps to get it tight on the walls.  This one has trusses on 4' centers with about 8" cellulose blown in.  The first one I did now has maybe 18" cellulose.

Never any problem with any of the three concerning condensation problems.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

PlicketyCat

Another thing to consider with condensation and frost is ventilation. You can control a lot of the moisture-related issues in heated and unheated buildings, with and without insulation, regardless of material if you have adequate ventilation that allows any moisture to escape.  Something as simple as a wall-mount extraction fan can make a big difference.
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Follow our adventures at Off-Grid in Alaska blog.

moonhill

Or a fireplace with a lot of draw.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!