iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soul Food

Started by Magicman, December 03, 2009, 07:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Peas, corn, chicken beast....ok, grilled not fried, pickles, iced tea, and yellow cornbread....... musteat_1

Oh yeah, did I mention yellow cornbread?

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

OK.  The cornbread seals the deal  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

We eat a lot of Chicken Beast here too.  I like the dark meat of the beast best. ;D

pappy19

Looks like cast iron skillet corn bread, my favorite. I'm a Griswold cast iron fan, anyone else??
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

Quote from: pappy19 on December 03, 2009, 07:15:42 PM
Looks like cast iron skillet corn bread 

Yup, cast iron is the only way..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

breederman

I got to tell you that dem peas would taste better if you didn't boil all the green outa em. ;)
Together we got this !

Magicman

Quote from: breederman on December 03, 2009, 07:40:02 PM
I got to tell you that dem peas would taste better if you didn't boil all the green outa em. ;)

Wrong kind of peas.  Crowder (field) peas are brown.  Light brown when shelled, darker when cooked..... :)

DanG

It must be tough living where you can only get one kind of peas. ::) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

My friend Noble says he gets up for several different peas every night.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Magicman

Reminds me about how you get a polar bear.

Put peas around a hole in the ice.

When he tries to take a pea.

You kick him in the ice hole.

Now......what's this got to do with cornbread  ???

DanG

I had chicken too, but mine was fried.  A hip and a beast, a wad of rutabega greens, baked tater and a biscuit. ;D

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

QuoteNow......what's this got to do with cornbread  ???

They called that Corn on HEE HAW. ;D

That's a right nice Knee Plate, DanG
That big old potato is a Beast. ;D

Magicman

Quote from: DanG on December 03, 2009, 11:01:06 PM
I had chicken too, but mine was fried.

I,m glad to see that you're eating "heart smart".... :D   At least it didn't come from KFC....... :D

pappy19

Quote from: Tom on December 03, 2009, 11:49:01 PM
QuoteNow......what's this got to do with cornbread  ???

They called that Corn on HEE HAW. ;D

That's a right nice Knee Plate, DanG
That big old potato is a Beast. ;D

Yeah, that looks like a real Idaho Spud, a Russet, best baker there is.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

DanG

Thats what it was Pap, and it was good. :)  I was in the store yesterday and bought some taters.  The only thing they had was big ol' Russets in 8 pound bags.  I picked through the pile looking for the smallest ones.  I looked at one bag that only had six spuds in it. :D :D

jim king

Here are some local delicacies from down South.  These will give you a soul.
The meal on the mostly orange table cloth is one of my favorite restaurants.  The cost is about 85 cents US.  Deep fried chicken,  beans and rice, chicken soup, hot pepper and onion sauce .

Other photos a tiger cat fish, a cayman, little boy with a capibara, boiling bananas and another restaurant.

fishpharmer

Does Caymen taste like chicken?  The tiger cat is a neat looking critter, do you know how they compare to US Farm raised catfish? 

Oh yea, I type this over a bowl full of fresh boiled turnip greens with fat back........mmm good soul food.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jim king

fishpharmer:
The cayman is a white meat and is to me a cross between chicken and shrimp .  My wife refuses to cook it as none is killed legally but you can buy it in any restaurant in town.

The tiger cat is like any catfish you have up there.  The meat is white and soft but very good fried in beer batter.  I also smoke it and it goes well with cold beer.  Another way the locals prepare fish is to wrap it in a banana leaf and before wrapping cover and fill the fish with spices and sauce and slowly steam it.  I cant stand it like that but it is very popular.

My favorite form of catfish is ceviche.  It is small cubes of the fillets soaked in lime juice and hot peppers and onions.  Not cooked, just soaked in lime juice and served cold.

fishpharmer

Thanks for the info JK.

I would try the ceviche.  You think you could get me a recipe? 

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fla._Deadheader

LOVE ceviche  8) 8) 8)

Recipes vary, from what I know. MY favorite is using Tilapia, cut in very small pieces, soaked overnight in the Lime-lemon juice. Mayo is used in what I like. It looks a lot like a relish dish, with the mayo. Served as a dip with crackers.  8)

Don't have a good recipe.  :( :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

LeeB

My recipe for cebiche is:
Chop fish and shrimp into small pieces
Bell pepper chopped
onion chopped
a little minced garlic
cilantro choped
tomato chopped
hot peppers of your choice chopped
salt and pepper to taste.
Mix all this well and let soak refrigerated in lots of lime juice for 24 or more hours.
As mentioned before, serve cold.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jim king

Fishpharmer:

Sorry I didnt see your post for the recipie.  My wife makes it almost identical to LeeB.

LeeB

Quote from: jim king on December 09, 2009, 02:45:26 PM

Sorry I didnt see your post for the recipie.  My wife makes it almost identical to LeeB.

That's nice to know. I never had a recipe to follow, so I just winged it by trying to remember what was in it when I was a boy living in Equador.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Slabs

What's this soul food scheist?  That's "Redneck Culinary Cuisiene".

How-bout some cornbread-and-eggs?  Two over medium on a fried hoecake with a side of sowbelly.

ne".
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Magicman

Yup, I think that passes as Soul Food.  That's a new one on me, but if "PoFolks" fixed it, it's good...... food6

I've had cornbread and molasses many times.  When we had a cow, there was a big daub of butter on top and a couple of spoonfulls of fresh cream....right off of the top.

LeeB

Cornbread and molasses is one of my favorites.

Magicman

A fellow offered me a jar of freshly cooked sugarcane syrup yesterday, but I declined.  I prefer Blackburn syrup.  It's milder.  Growing up we had sorghum molasses.  Now that was strong stuff.  You 'bout had to put cream on it.

LeeB

Molasses for me and lots of butter, not margerine.

bd354

Looks like cast iron skillet corn bread, my favorite. I'm a Griswold cast iron fan, anyone else??

Pappy, I have 3 or 4 Griswold pieces and a bunch of Lodge and BSR. The Warden sez I have about 50 or 60 too many. It's getting kinda hard to sneak another one home.

fishpharmer

Quote from: jim king on December 09, 2009, 02:45:26 PM
Fishpharmer:

Thanks to you Jim and LeeB.

ErikC

We have 1 Griswold, mom has 3 or 4 at her place. They have a nice look to them, but I won't say they cook any better than anything else properly seasoned. Especially one that's been around a while and is worn pretty smooth. I think they are kind of a collectible aren't they?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

bd354

Quote from: Magicman on December 19, 2009, 09:43:08 PM
A fellow offered me a jar of freshly cooked sugarcane syrup yesterday, but I declined.  I prefer Blackburn syrup.  It's milder.  Growing up we had sorghum molasses.  Now that was strong stuff.  You 'bout had to put cream on it.

A guy I work with gave me a bottle of cane syrup today. His father makes it every year. There's still quite a few people making it around here, most of it pretty darn good. I usually eat honey instead of syrup but I still like cane. Nothing like it on a hot buttered bisquit!

pappy19

Quote from: bd354 on December 20, 2009, 05:37:11 PM

Pappy, I have 3 or 4 Griswold pieces and a bunch of Lodge and BSR. The Warden sez I have about 50 or 60 too many. It's getting kinda hard to sneak another one home.

50 or 60 pieces is a good start. I have about 300 pieces and I'm a small time collector. The cool thing about collecting Griswold and Wagner is that it is one of the very few antiques you can use every day and not hurt it. Of course there are about 10 pieces that I use most often; mostly my # 8 skillet, # 9, # 7, #6; then my #9 Dutch Oven, #7 DO, # 8 Double Skillet (which is the best all around setup ever made), #7 long griddle, "#6 round griddle, and #110 skillet griddle. I have many more, but those are my most used versions, and all Griswold. Once in a while I will use my Wagner Skillet Griddle which has ridges to make the fried steaks look like it came off of a BBQ grill, but it is too hard to clean, so I don't use it much.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

bd354

I try to stay with what I find around here which is normally the older Lodge and BSR. Griswold and Wagner are kinda rare in these parts.  I bought one # 9 Gris at a flea market last year for 20 bucks but usually the few I see are way to high for me. See a lot on fleabay but not willing to pay their price. I also bought 8 #3 skillets for 30 bucks at a thrift shop but they're all assorted Lodge and BSR. Had one Wagner in sad shape and I passed on it.

tyb525

DanG, we have those exact plates at our house.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

crd1957

i got a 10"lodge cast iron skillet 35 yrs ago at a wedding shower . wife left 22 yrs ago.love may not last forever but good cast iron will never let you down
a man should never wear a hat that has more character than he has. (will rogers)

Magicman

Especially if it's not across your head when she left...... :D

WildDog

That corn bread looks good, I have never seen it down here, might be time to chase up a recipe.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

crd1957

2 cups self riseing corn meal; 1 cup butter milk; 1 egg 1/3 cup veg oil . coat 10" skillet with lard; lard not veg oil.
mix cornmeal milk and egg stir in veg oil . bake at 450 for about 18 to 20 min. good stuff  serve with beans; stew ; chilli or just butter and a glass of tea
a man should never wear a hat that has more character than he has. (will rogers)

WildDog

Thanks crd will get Nicky onto it this week :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

crd1957

thats my moms recipie i think you will like it

pappy19

Quote from: crd1957 on January 17, 2010, 06:31:16 PM
2 cups self riseing corn meal; 1 cup butter milk; 1 egg 1/3 cup veg oil . coat 10" skillet with lard; lard not veg oil.
mix cornmeal milk and egg stir in veg oil . bake at 450 for about 18 to 20 min. good stuff  serve with beans; stew ; chilli or just butter and a glass of tea

My recipe is similar except I use 50% buttermilk and 50% whole or 2% milk. All buttermilk makes the middle hard to cook through and is unevenly done for my experience. Also, I use PAM to spray my skillet and then ad an additional 1/4 cup oil at the bottom of the pan and put it on top of the stove on medium-high. I then sprinkle about a heaping tablespoon of yellow corm meal evenly around on top of the oil. I then let this cornmeal cook for a minute or two and then pour in my batter. Once the batter gets a heat bubble or two, I transfer it to the hot oven and finish cooking. The cooked cornmeal keeps the bottom from sticking and also gives the finished product a little more crispy texture. I flip the finished pone onto a pizza pan and start cutting wedges. It's usually gone before I finish cutting.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

crd1957

thats why i use lard ; makes a nice crust ive used the same cast iron skillit for 34 yrs. all we use it for is bread.never have a problem with it being hard in the middle. maybe different altitudes

pappy19

Yes, for altitude you need to add additional flour. Funny how that works. the oil and corn meal "trick" however came from my roomate's mother from Lisbon, Louisiana, as that is how she did her's. It's all good, regardless.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!