iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uses for Sawdust

Started by campy, December 03, 2009, 07:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

I shoveled my sawdust into garbage cans and have been burning it for almost a week now.  It is wet and will keep the fire going overnight until I can get back to it.

Has anyone else tried this?

I also have a guy who is going to show me how to grow edible mushrooms on it.

In the past we made compost out of it.

Please share your uses for SAWDUST.

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

JSNH

I grew my garden in it this year in sawdust . Hydroponics. The plants only need the sawdust to hold the roots and moisture. Dont get the wrong idea I grow vegies out side in the daylight. The stuff I grow I don't need to hide.

treedog

works great for spills of all sorts (Hy-Dri substitute) & it's all but free

Chuck White

Fine sawdust from the bandmills makes good mulch for places you don't want things growing!

Chickens like it! 

Don't use  bandmill sawdust in dairy barns for bedding!  Cows get mastitis from it, coarse sawdust from a circlemill is good though!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

It's really difficult to deal with.  Any plant/wood matter needs to "compost" before being used in gardens, etc.  It packs so tightly, and has to be mixed with larger items and turned/stirred as heat builds up during the composting action.

There are sawdust piles through out our country left by "groundhog" sawmills in the early 1900's.  Dig down 6" and it still looks fresh.  It just won't rot.

As campy has discovered, it's difficult to burn also.

Being a portable sawmiller, I can just leave it.  The customers usually just spread/level it out
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

Use it to mulch walking paths. It keeps the weeds out if it is deep enough.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Burlkraft

I bury mine and make dirt out of it.
I just dug some up that has been down there for 5 years. It's the base for Jill's new planter in the yard.
Living here in the land of sand and clay this is a cheap way for me to get a good compost base for the gardens  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

york

use to cover water lines,before you back fill...
Albert

Chuck White

Quote from: york on December 03, 2009, 09:34:47 AM

Excellent idea, I'd forgotten about this!  As a matter of fact, I helped my FIL do that with his drain lines about 4 years ago!  It will protect the lines from being crushed as well as from freezing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tomsteve

i spread it out on the lawn and mix it in the compost pile. i heard that when ya aerate a lawn, it it works good to mix it in with some sand and spread it out over the lawn afer. the aerating loosens compacted soil , the sand helps to keep the soil from compacting, and the sawdust holds water til it breaks down and becomes food.
  be careful with walnut dust. i know its fatal for horses, but dont know about for plants and veggies.

Todd

I tend to use it to coat myself with and then distribute it in my truck and on the furniture at home.  I also fill my pockets with it and make a mess on laundry day! ;D  (not deliberately, but if ya heard my wife yell you'd think I done it on purpose!)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Hi-Country Orange

Todd, now thats funny i don't care who you are  :D  :D 8)

Planman1954

Just in time for me to know....I was about to bury my electrical line and water line to my barn. Thanks.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

submarinesailor

Quote from: Todd on December 03, 2009, 09:48:03 AM
I tend to use it to coat myself with and then distribute it in my truck and on the furniture at home.  I also fill my pockets with it and make a mess on laundry day! ;D  (not deliberately, but if ya heard my wife yell you'd think I done it on purpose!)

Been there, done that and get the same comment for my wife. ::) :D ::) :D ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

paul case

Quote from: submarinesailor on December 03, 2009, 12:18:39 PM

Been there, done that and get the same comment for my wife. ::) :D ::) :D ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bruce
[/qu
ote]makes for some neat mud in thepockets of line dried clothes too
i have tried the use for packing material around buried lines and this works great. it also helps if you have to dig one up.you can identify that you are getting close to the line with your digging. i have used sawdust to fill stump holes in my hayfields. if you make much of it poultry farmers may buy it from you for bedding
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

jbeat

I just paid $250.00 for an 18' grain truck load for bedding horse stalls. Surely you have a horse barn or two in your area.
John B

Jeff

Quote from: Chuck White on December 03, 2009, 09:39:24 AM
Quote from: york on December 03, 2009, 09:34:47 AM

Excellent idea, I'd forgotten about this!  As a matter of fact, I helped my FIL do that with his drain lines about 4 years ago!  It will protect the lines from being crushed as well as from freezing!

Sawdust will not stop water lines from freezing, but it might slow them from thawing out. Only dry sawdust insulates. If you throw sawdust in a hole, it becomes wet and it freezes into ice/particle board. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Todd

Using the dust I make for horse stalls would make the horses look like you floured them ;)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

york

the reason we use sawdust on water lines,is so the rocks do not puncher the line it self...In our area they should down at least 4 ft.....frost is not the concern-some people even use old mulch hay......
Albert

schmism

get a pellet mill and turn it into pellets to burn in a stove.

http://www.pelletpros.com/id69.html
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Magicman

I also fill my pockets with it and make a mess on laundry day! ;D 

That's why I wear a welder's waist leather apron when sawing.  Keeps the sawdust out of my pockets and keeps the DW happy.  And you know what they say......"Happy wife......Happy Life" !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

schmism
Do you have experience with this pellet mill?

So what can you tell us about it? 

Whoops, I see there are no photos in your gallery.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

schmism

no i dont have experience with them.... ive been wanting to get one but dont have a pellet stove.

check youtube.  pellet pros (the people that sell that pellet maker) have a number of good vids showing what you can use to turn into pellets.    Sawdust and distillers grain (which i have access to because of my close proximity to a elthonal plant hear in central IL) are the 2 main items used to make pellets.

sawdust can be used 100% just got to make shure your mosture level is right.

after that its easy to turn it into free heat
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

crtreedude

We take what comes out of making furniture from the extractor (mainly chips from the helix planer and joiner) and use it for bedding for the sheep we have. Then, we replace it once a week, and the sheep droppings and chips go on the garden. Most incredible garden I have ever had. We honestly have more problem of putting too much on sometimes. We get 30 wheelbarrows a week of compost.  8)

But, this is more like wood chips than sawdust.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!