iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A question about engine covers.

Started by D Hagens, December 04, 2009, 03:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

As I'm looking at all the mills out there I've been noticing one thing in common with most mills. They have no engine protection. I do understand that most mills are undercover or they have engine covers while not in use. Do the manufactures make solid non removable covers as an option? I understand that the more open the better for cooling but what about the weather and its effects on components while it sits?

UKJimbob

Hi D,

From experience most sawmills i have seen with deisel engines or electric motors have stood the bad weather, here in the UK with our own large sawmill we had 6 lines running with various home made electrical items which through the years stood the test of the bad weather, but please bear in mind the good weather can sometimes cause problems to engines. So in my opinion if you are not going to use your machine for some time, cover over the saw to prevent parts seizing and run the engine every now and again to prevent fuel becoming stagnent, on deisels, it keeps the injectors and other vital parts well oiled "as they say".
Most small size sawmillers build themselves a small lean too over the park positon of the saw, just to keep the worst of the weather off.
Most manufactures of saws these days are well experienced in covers of engines and each have a reason for not covering them to much.

best regards

Jim (UK)

D Hagens

Thanks Jim :)

I guess how this came to mind was that my tractor and lawnmower both have hoods on them and when I buy a mill why wouldn't it?

bandmiller2

Its a fairly simple matter to attach a roof to the top of the bandmill carriage.Light tin roofing or fiberglass works well.I attached the roof to the operators end so I am protected and when done milling park the carriage under it.Of course the best thing is a nice building with a roof over the whole mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

D Hagens

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 05, 2009, 07:46:12 AM
Its a fairly simple matter to attach a roof to the top of the bandmill carriage.

Yup it would be simple, I guees where I'm coming from is WHY don't the manufactures see this as well?

The most important part of the mill and for a few extra bucks they can't design a cover to protect the investment? ???

beenthere

Quote from: D Hagens on December 05, 2009, 11:10:35 AM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 05, 2009, 07:46:12 AM
Its a fairly simple matter to attach a roof to the top of the bandmill carriage.

Yup it would be simple, I guees where I'm coming from is WHY don't the manufactures see this as well?

The most important part of the mill and for a few extra bucks they can't design a cover to protect the investment? ???

It is not their investment, it is yours.  ::)  Order the mill with a cover, and I bet they will charge for it extra.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don K

Yep. You can get a cover from WM that covers the motor but it is extra. Mine stays parked under a shed.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

D Hagens

Yup I see that there's soft covers but I was thinking more along the lines of a permanent hard cover like a tractor has over its engine.

When I buy a mill it will sit unattended for periods of time and it would be nice to lock a hard cover.

bandmiller2

"D",when you buy your mill your first project should be a roof over it ,can be a simple pole shed,it will add years to the life of the mill and your enjoyment of it.Tarps ,and worse plastic, condense moisture blow off and are hard to put up.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!