iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitter tip-over

Started by 1938farmall, December 02, 2009, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1938farmall

8 hp honda engine was running when splitter tipped over- almost upside down.  got it shut off quick and upright within 10 minutes.  let it sit about 2 hours and engine was locked solid when i pulled the starter cord.  i'm guessing hydrolock, but don't know how to clear the cylinders.  if i take out the plugs will they drain down in time?  all help appreciated before i start major dissassembly.  thanks, al
aka oldnorskie

Gary_C

Pull the spark plug out and then spin it over and push all the liquids out the plug hole. Drain the crankcase and refill and fill with gas and new plugs and you should be good to go. If the oil got into the cylinders it may smoke some till it burns off.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mrnero

Might want to install some training wheels on that splitter so it wont tip over again. What you think. :D ;D

pasbuild

Quote from: mrnero on December 02, 2009, 07:02:22 PM
Might want to install some training wheels on that splitter so it wont tip over again. What you think. :D ;D

OOOHH  that was low :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

mrnero

Quote from: pasbuild on December 02, 2009, 07:49:03 PM

OOOHH .......What... !! My splitter wheel spindle broke off last year and came crashing down while splitting firewood.  So, It does happen. I had my splitter modified with outriggers (e.g. training wheels) last summer. Hopefully it won't happen again. I think you took my post wrong. ???

beenthere

Quote from: pasbuild on December 02, 2009, 07:49:03 PM

:D :D :D

What engine is on the splitter? You mentioned clearing the cylinders. Is it a two cylinder engine?

Curious too how it tipped over. What happened?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

Check your air filter as well.

zopi

had that happen...engine spit and sputtered and smoked, but smoothed out after a bit...tough little things..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

I have one of those horizontal/vertical splitters. There is a little tag of metal on the axle/hydraulic tank and a matching one on the ram rail.  When you stand the splitter in the vertical position you put a little bolt through them to keep the splitter from opening up, becoming unstable and turning over. I thought it was a waste of time to stick the bolt in there until I almost lost the splitter one day.  :D :D  Not saying that this incident was like that, but I went up a real steep learning curve real quick. :P :D

pasbuild

(OOOHH .......What... !! My splitter wheel spindle broke off last year and came crashing down while splitting firewood.  So, It does happen. I had my splitter modified with outriggers (e.g. training wheels) last summer. Hopefully it won't happen again. I think you took my post wrong. )

Sorry man I though the little smily face meant it was a joke,
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Tom

Me too. :D

I need to go sit down before I get my leg pulled.  :D :D

Do you know why those egret type birds lift one leg when they are standing in the water?

beenthere

I'll guess it is to keep it from getting wet.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Good guess, mon ami!!

The real reason (drum roll) is that: If he picked them both up, he would bust his bohunkus.  :D

RSteiner

In a some what related vein a friend has a Timber Wolf splitter with around a 6 hp. Honda engine.  He let another friend borrow the splitter.  Not an hour after the splitter was returned we tried to start it.  He pulled the starter rope and the engine would hardly turn over.  I pulled the rope slowly several times and the engine began to turn over easier but there was fuel dripping out of the muffler.

The fuel shut-off on the engine was left in the on position.  The only thing we could figure was the bouncy ride over the rought road between his house and the friend who borrowed the splitter some how caused fuel to partically fill the cylinder. 

After a few pulls the engine coughed and started and seem to run normal. Don't know if anyone else has had the same experience.

Randy
Randy

1938farmall

did just what gary c said.  new spark plug, smoked for a while, now runs fine.  thank you. al
aka oldnorskie

Thank You Sponsors!