iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028 (used) or Poulan Pro 18/42CC (New)???

Started by newhavendave, December 02, 2009, 09:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newhavendave

Hello all!  I just bought a house and it has a very nice woodstove.  I also have several trees to chop down, maybe 18" dia.  I do not have alot I can afford, so I have been shopping around.  My local power equipment store has a used Stihl 028 (maybe AV) with a new 16" bar with a chain that someone traded in.  I have not had to start it yet, but they claim that it runs good.  They want $100 but I may be able to negotiate to $85. 

I also have the option to have Lowes price match a New Poulan Pro 18" 42CC Anti Vibe for $90, and that has a 1yr warranty.  Anti-kickback chain though.

So what would you do if you needed a saw for little use, maybe like 2-3 trees per year?  The saw I have now is a 14" Poulan and the oil pump died. 

I am thinking the stihl, because if that dies on me I can always part it out.  If it lives I have a great saw.

Thanks, appreciate any input!

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Dave
I wouldn't expect much from a saw under $100. Either it will be someone else's problems (reason they traded it in? ) or a cheap saw. Yet, you could get lucky, but I think you will be trapped and end up spending more to fix something.

And you said you had trees to chop down, so maybe an axe would be the way to go, and a buck saw.  ;D
Just kidding, but it is something to consider for some wood for the stove until you have a couple hundered to spend on a saw.

Or rent a saw, if that is possible, from Lowes or HD.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

James P.

newhavendave , welcome to the forum, personally if the 028 would fire up and the bar and chain are in fair condition . meaning they are usable and have life left. I would buy it. I have 5 . few run . few for parts. a complete non running saw with no breaks or damage other than lost spark or compression is worth in my opinion 85 . I haven't own a poulan that was worth fixing from a box store. stihl 028 will always have value.

gemniii

If you buy the poulan and only use it rarely you probably will have problems with it in a few years and have to buy another $100 saw. 

If you buy the Stihl 028 you may be stuck with it forever.  I bought a Stihl 021 probably 10 years ago, didn't do much to maintain it, changed the plugs once.  It's the saw that won't die.  Look at ebay - the 028's are going for well over $100.

It may have been traded in because someone needed a bigger saw.

good luck.

/edit - also it's got a few more CC's

Mad Professor

If the 028 has it's last gasp of a breath left it will outlast/outcut the Poulan.

If you put a 028 P/C on it it might last a homeowner lifetime.

newhavendave

Alright, I will check out the Stihl and start it up tomorrow.  I prefer to support local business anyway, althought I would like at minimum a 2 day warranty..

The Poulan has many good reviews from infrequent users who recently bought it, but I would like something I can trust and that is still worth something 5 years down the road.

Oh, and what is a P/C?  It did not come up in search.

Thanks for all the help, I will let you know how I make out.  I've never had much luck with an axe and hate renting!

-Dave

Rocky_J

A P/C is a piston and cylinder. And the 'good reviews' on the Poulan were obviously written by casual saw users who don't know any better. It all boils down to your priorities and if you consider a saw as a tool or just a means to accomplish another chore.

newhavendave

Thank you for that, I will keep an eye on Ebay.  I prefer to buy lasting equipment, for an investment, similar to that I will never rent a place, only buy.

I pulled the trigger on the 028.  It is the Super AV.  It started up fine, and seemed very powerful, but the clutch was stuck and needs a new spring.  The (family run) shop will be replacing it and I will pick it up tomorrow.  They are allowing me to return it Monday if I have a problem with it, so I did not bargain them down.  Thanks for all the help, and yes, they said the owner traded it in for a bigger saw, although with good displacement of ~52CC I would think he would have just bought a bigger bar for this one.

ford62783

i have an 038 av super my self and i love that saw even more than my 350 husqvarna the saw is a work horse and have used it alot the best part about them though sum like mine is old and handed down they have good power and part are always available good deal dave
timberjack 240e

newhavendave

Yep, this saw is almost 25 years old.

Well I picked it up.  They could not fix the clutch and the chain stays spinning, so he gave it to me for 75.  I have to decide if its worth fixing that, or use it as-is and stop the bar with the kickback guard.

Also, it tends to bog down (sometimes stall) upon throttle and load.  I have adjusted the H screw out some to about 1 1/4 and it helped alot, but still not perfect.  Should I keep going with it?

What would anyone recommend for a good additive/oil for my winter blend 87 with ethanol?

Thanks again, I love using this good quality chainsaw.

rayrayrau

I think you made the right choice in the 028, even though the saw is 25+ years old it will outlast the Poulan.  I am a Stihl/Husqvarna certified tech and in my opinion there aren't many saws made today that are as tough as the 028, 034, 038 Stihl from that era.  As far as you clutch/chain spinning problem goes I would check the idle first should be about 2800 rpm give or take a few.  If the chain spin can't be cured I just saw a new in the package clutch for the 028 on ebay today with a make an offer or a buy it now of $50. 
Stihl 009 020t 026 034s 046 051 075, Husqvarna 55 460 570 272 576

rayrayrau

Also the Stihl company does recommend the use of a name brand gasoline with an octane rating of 89 or greater with a quality air cooled 2 cycle oil Stihl or Husqvarna oil in my opinion are the best.  Stay away from stabil or gas with an ethanol percentage greater than 10% and get rid of your gas if you have had it more than 60 days.

John Mc

Rayrayrau -

Why do you say to stay away from Stabil? People around here seem to be having good lock with it... particularly the marine Stabil (blue color, formulated for ethanol). Not a cure for all of ethanol's problems, be most here seem to think it helps.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

rayrayrau

I stay away from stabil because it is only designed to keep gas fresh for 60 days, and it doesn't make sour or stale gas fresh again, nor does it restore lost octane.

wraylow

;D  you made a good choice. The 028 is one of the best saws stihl ever made. is out of production but parts are not a problem.  From what you discribe the clutch springs are either broken or worn out. Take the sprocket drum off and look . it has 3. and they are not hard to replace and not expensive. As for gas additives just use stihl oil , it has a stabalizer already added.  50:1 .   ( stihl dealer)  Open the low adjustment on the carb about 1/2 round or so and your  bogging problem will go away. 
numerous stihls , massey ferguson mf35  kubota L4701h

John Mc

Stabil may not make stale gas fresh again, but I don't know of anything that does. It does help prevent it from going stale in the first place. I don't use any gas in my chainsaws which is older than 60 days anyway - if it sits that long, it's going in my car or mower.

As wraylow mentions, good mix oils have stabilizer in them already... but that only works if you'v already mixed up your gas. I try not to mix it until I'm going to be using it. I'll fill a 5 gallon jug with high-octane, ethanol-free gas, put some Stabil in it, then mix up some 50:1 a gallon of that at a time as-needed. The Stabil in the 5 gallon can helps prevent deterioration till I mix it up with the 2-cycle oil.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

newhavendave

Thanks for the advice all!  I will pickup some Stihl oil and the high grade gasoline.  Also will open up that clutch when I have some time.

One more (last?) question though is that after messing with the tune, the saw runs great, all around, and starts up great when cold.  The problem is that I cannot start it again when hot, it seems like it is flooding, I have to wait 20 mins or more before restarting.  Any ideas?  Air filter is clean.

Also, I run through about 2/3 of a tank of bar and chain oil to tank of gas, total of about 10-15 mins of running, does that seem average?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

James P.

newhaven ,congrats on the saw. that is a super deal in my opinion. when hot don't choke it just put it in run and hold throttle trigger . Also might help when you get new fuel and proper mix ratio. as far as the oil goes that is about right. best to run out of gas first. Otherwise we would be replacing bars left and right. good luck and as stated a 038 is an awesome saw too and some parts are interchangeable with the 028 . like mounts and even wrap around handle can be modified to fit.

metalspinner

With the 25 bucks you saved on the deal by yourself a pair of chaps for Christmas.  The running chain is a greater threat to your health. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Rocky_J

If it's hard to start hot then it may be getting too hot. Check the RPM at wide open throttle and make sure the saw isn't running too lean and revving too high (too much heat without enough lubrication/fuel). I'm not sure what the max RPM should be but I'd guess around 13,000. I'd also make sure the muffler screen isn't plugged (probably just throw it away unless you cut in a fire risk zone) and make sure there isn't any crud built up between the engine cooling fins. A good cleaning with a wire bottle brush and a strong air nozzle should get rid of the crud to allow cooling airflow.

Al_Smith

An 028 is of the same design but smaller than an 038 which was one of Stihls finest .If that shop cannot repair that clutch or get the idle speed down evidently they don't employ the brightest mechanics in the field or they don't want to fool with it .

Unless it's a broken clutch shoe it's most likely a spring but replace all three .If the shop is too stupid to know the part number it's 0000 -997-5811

Thank You Sponsors!