iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trees adding up, where is my processor

Started by spencerhenry, December 01, 2009, 07:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

i just bought a processor, and they called to tell me that they needed a couple of more days. it was supposed to be picked up tommorrow, but it isnt ready. but fortunately they have found a cheaper shipper for me, saves me another $75. it is now supposed to be here next week.
in the last few days i have accumulated 94 trees in the deck, and 10 more on the ground waiting to be skid. selective cutting in an area that i have worked for years, taking out the stragglers. one here, one there, i average about 10 per hour cut skid and in the deck. everything from 6" 30 footers to 18" 80 footers. i am taking out all dead, and all live with disease. the diseased trees have rotten centers, and i am not sure what i am going to do with all of them, some will make ok firewood for friends and myself, but i think i will end up with a couple hundred of them.
once the processor finally gets here, i am going to make a MOUNTIAN of firewood. right now with the ground frozen and no snow, the woods work is as productive as it gets. another month and i should have 2 or 3 feet of powder on the ground, that really slows production. once the snow settles like in february of march, then i drive on top of it and skid.

gunman63

Magicman

Quote from: spencerhenry on December 01, 2009, 07:32:41 PM
saves me another $75. 

Sounds like that $75 savings is costing you $$$...... :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

spencerhenry

i have got plenty of wood ready to go right now. the wood that i split right now i wont sell until next year, so a few days really doesnt matter. i dont have alot of space in my deck, as of today i have 132 trees out, tree length is up to 80 feet, but most are around 50. i will sell some wood in log form as i dont think i can sell that much processed wood. i think i will process about 30 cords of aspen, and then maybe the same or a little more in pine. i will also run all of my slab through it.
the processor is a dyna products. 30hp, bar saw, conveyor. not a top of the line unit, but all i process at this point is aspen and lodgepole pine, both of which are not hard splitting, and typically not very big. i think this machine is a good value, i dont do enough volume to justify a big machine. i needed a write-off, and this allows me to not spend much time and more importantly not much physical effort to process wood.

SwampDonkey

When you split your lodgepole pine, do you see much dimple figure? There was someone looking for figured pine awhile back.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/communications/bulletins/figureinwood/figure32.html

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!