iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

electric fuel shutoff on kohler

Started by lamar, September 24, 2003, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamar

On front of motor(kohler command 25hp) it says to set rpm at mid range(anything under motor bucks kicks ect. before shuting down) or above.This I dont like to do but because it has the fuel solenoid shut off it has to be sped up to shut off.Its still under warranty .Is anyone aware of this and is there anyway around the high idle shutdone or am I just old and not ready for new stuff? I always thought its good to idle down and cool of valves ect. BTW this motor has been good so far.Thanks for any ideasLarry.

BBTom

If I remember my schooling right, an air cooled engine runs hotter at idle due to a lack of airflow.  I realize that many people think they are doing good by letting it idle for a while, but in actuality they are heating up the engine before shutting it down.  Running it at mid throttle for a couple minutes would cool it down much better than at idle.  Don't feel bad, I think that 75% of the population thinks that idle will cool down the engine.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Mobilesawyer

My take on the sticker is that the engine RPM should be reduced to less than half throttle before the solenoid would kick in at ignition was shut off. The solenoid would shut down the fuel flow when spark was turned off, therefore the engine would not continue to draw air fuel mixture into the cylinders as it was running down without spark.. The reason for doing this is to eliminate backfiring when the engine is shut down. Make sense?

lamar

thanks for both replies.I never thought about both those ideas.
the air cooled motor (stationary)has a fan and shrouding so the air at low idle wont cool engine down,makes cents$.thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!