iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Phone table

Started by SwampDonkey, November 30, 2009, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Thinking about a project to use short scraps again and a phone table was born. Well, pencil sketch anyway. Using similar grained woods like ash and walnut, but contrasting color scheme.

One drawer and one lower shelf. Going to turn the legs, so the section above and below the shelf won't look as beefy.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Going to add a 2" to 3" high back , bell-curved. Cutout in back for phone cord. S-curve left/right sides. Walnut.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

That phone a rotary? ;D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Lud and I are on the same page!  Phones with cords will soon be antiques.  SD, building an antique table to hold an antique phone is cool  ;D.

I am beginning to start beginning a new project myself.  It is a gun cabinet for my Son-in-Law made from wood that is near and dear to Cedarman.  Yep, good old eastern red cedar. 

Maybe the Cedarman can send me that special board he used to fool us all at the Pigroast to use in the cabinet  :).  I am pretty good at identifying wood, but he had me swallowing the hook, line, and sinker on that one  :D ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

This is New Brunswick, not New York. :D 

My uncle still has a rotary dial telephone upstairs. But, a cordless down stairs. ;)

Mom has a corded $20 phone in both the kitchen and bedroom. She doesn't trust cordless phones because of potential privacy issues. I have a cordless, but the base in corded and hooked to power to see the display. Still works in power outages, but no display screen. Corded phones are going to be around for awhile yet. Cell phone coverage is less than desirable away from the 4-lane highways. ;) There is 100's of square miles that cell don't work. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on November 30, 2009, 08:55:30 PM
Maybe the Cedarman can send me that special board he used to fool us all at the Pigroast to use in the cabinet  :).  I am pretty good at identifying wood, but he had me swallowing the hook, line, and sinker on that one  :D ::).

Well, I got my hands on a couple short boards, kinda dirty with dust but looked like ash. Well, it was maple after I got it squared up on the table saw. Then went for another board, it turned out to be yellow birch. Dang nabbit! :D  Then I finally got my hands on my ash. Almost made the mistake of gluing it all up for 15" wide and realized the planer is only 12", won't work there. :D

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 30, 2009, 09:12:42 PM
Then I finally got my hands on my ash.

Yep, that is something that you definitely don't want to lose  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don_Papenburg

I still have a rotary dial phone.  Just got rid of the crank phone .  My wife has one of them newfangled pushbutton cell phones .  I don't like it , The buttons are too small so as to need a pencil to punch them .  Then it tends to disconect the call from time to time .   Now if some one would make a good anolog cell phone with a rotary dial they would have something.  Brother used to have an analog cell phone it never had a dropped call .  If we all went back to rotary dial phones we would never have to punch One for  english .  and then you might just get a human when you call a buisness. 
Neet Idea, that table .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

ljmathias

The question is, WDH, did he have to use both hands to find his ash?

I usually can't find mine even with help...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

Yes, inquiring minds want to know...

SwampDonkey

Well, I don't get a lot done in a day in the shop. But, the feel of wood in my hands makes up for it. Gotta love that ash.  ;D

Lud

I'm cutting a lot of ash here at the farm since the EAB  has come down to Ohio from Michigan.  (Thanks, Jeff ;D ;D)

Ash is strong, planes and sands well .  Has a subtle grain.  Spalts well.  Turns well.

And I can tell it from a hole in the ground! ;D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Isn't ash bad to attract bugs like powder post beetles if stored outside?  Hickory and pecan are terrible for that.

SwampDonkey

I don't see it here in my ash lumber. No bugs of any kind in it. It's been stacked in the barn 10 years or more.

WDH

Maybe all the PPBs don't like the frigid North, and prefer the warm South :).

WDH

Maybe all the PPBs don't like the frigid North, and prefer the warm South :).

SwampDonkey

No, we have them but I don't see them in my lumber stash. I don't know what the answer is. But, glad I don't have any troubles that way. Only holes I seen was ambrosia from logs laying too long.

WDH

SwampDonkey

Anyhow, here's my legs. Ain't they perty? :D

Lathe Duplicator? thread

WDH

ljmathias

Can't comment on your legs (not sure I want to anyway), but those for the phone table sure are... nice work!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

SwampDonkey

On my table top ends and front I'm edging with walnut. I'm dovetailing on the end grain and I was wondering if it's worth dovetailing the front which is the edge grain. I could just glue the front walnut edge on. Then just glue the front corners of the dovetails and the 45's with the front edge couldn't I? I can't see it causing drying troubles. The ends are going to be the only moving dimension along the dovetails.

I could easily dovetail the front, but you'd need a hammer to beat it off when just glued, so why bother. :D

SwampDonkey

Well, I just went ahead and glued on the front edge and clamped it tight. Also, got the side rails cut and dovetailed. I won't glue the corners until the front is set hard.

SwampDonkey

Ooops, wrong thread. ;D

SwampDonkey

Here I stacked some of the components for a photo op.

I still need to finish the drawer and it's sliding mechanism. The front you can see is lifted 1/4" high from the bottom walnut section. I will cut a tenon in the front section of the walnut frame for that to sit into. Everything is standing free with the boxed in section all jointed with tenons and dovetails. The upright ash sides will move in width with the seasons, so the back dovetails will slide, while the front will be glued in place. The bottom ash and the walnut above it are jointed with a biscuit on each corner for strength. The walnut sections will be molded with a round-over or ogee router bit. The bottom face of the ash will have an S-curve or bell curve carved on it as per drawing. Nothing has been clamped and glued except the table top, which is dovetailed on the sides and front.  The top will also move on the back dovetail cut into the ash uprights and tied in with a sliding brace that floats with the top. See what ya can built from pieces of scrap under 20 inches?  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!