iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New way (for me) to cook a turkey.....and Ham

Started by Magicman, November 29, 2009, 10:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

At the Mississippi Forestry Ass'n annual meeting I bidded for and bought a smoker.  I paid too much  :'( but it was for a good cause  :).  Anyway, I fired it up Thanksgiving AM.  It has charcoal towers in each corner which distributes the heat all of the way around.  Each tower held 12 brickets, and lasted surprisingly for the 3 hours it took to cook the turkey.
The cooker

Open showing the four cooking towers

The turkey seasoned and injected with Wishbone Italian Dressing

Down into the smoker he went

3 hours later

Yup, just right

When I lifted him out of the basket, the wings pulled off

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

DanG

DanG right that looks good!  Thats a pretty spiffy looking cooker too.  Can't say I ever saw one quite like that.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Those triangular tubes of screen, that he puts the charcoal into, would get caught in your teeth, Jeff. :P

submarinesailor

Magicman

Quote from: submarinesailor on November 30, 2009, 08:27:29 AM
Even if it was stuffed with GRITS?
Bruce

You can eat anything that stuffed with grits....especially yellow grits...... musteat_1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

treecyclers

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2009, 10:14:43 AM

You can eat anything that stuffed with grits....especially yellow grits...... musteat_1

I thought you weren't s'posta eat yellow snow grits
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Tom

eau contraire, mon ami.  You're supposed to eat lots of yellow grits.  You're not supposed to be where there is yellow snow. :D

rickywashere

looks great and for the record white snow play yellow snow stay away!!!!!!

Magicman

Yellow grits are getting hard to find.....I think that they are making whiskey ethanol out of the yellow corn..... :(

mad dog

What is the brand? looks like a good cooker.
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

Magicman

Quote from: mad dog on December 01, 2009, 09:15:47 PM

The only name on it is "Backyard Classic"...... :(

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Magic, look for Lakeside brand grits.  They are in a bright yellow package, and I've only seen them in a 2 pound size.  They are yellow grits, and are the best grits I have ever found, hands down!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

DanG, that sounds like what we use.  We used Quaker until they quit making yellow grits.  I found that yellow package in our Piggly Wiggly.  The DW pours in into a Tupperware container and keeps it in the frig.  They're a little coarser ground, but I like them better than Quaker.

WDH

The stone ground grits from Pine Mountain, GA are mightly fine as well.   

OK, where are the Grits Bashers ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

They have given up, as they are on a pointless crusade anyway. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

mad dog

Quote from: Magicman on December 01, 2009, 09:57:18 PM
Quote from: mad dog on December 01, 2009, 09:15:47 PM

The only name on it is "Backyard Classic"...... :( Thanks,I am going to look them up
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

Magicman

mad dog,  I'm afraid that you are not going to have much luck.  This is a Backyard Classic Smoke Cube.  The company is an importer; Rankam VDG Industries LTD,  1710 Douglas Dr. N. Suite 175,  Golden Valley, MN. 55422,  866-561-0731.

I bought this one at an auction, which means that it was donated.  The box had a Walmart sticker on it.  I suspect that Walmart was cleaning out grilling stuff getting ready for Christmas, and either sold it cheap or donated it.

And that's everything that I know..... :)

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2009, 02:57:15 PM
mad dog,  I'm afraid that you are not going to have much luck.  This is a Backyard Classic Smoke Cube.  The company is an importer; Rankam VDG Industries LTD,  1710 Douglas Dr. N. Suite 175,  Golden Valley, MN. 55422,  866-561-0731.

I bought this one at an auction, which means that it was donated.  The box had a Walmart sticker on it.  I suspect that Walmart was cleaning out grilling stuff getting ready for Christmas, and either sold it cheap or donated it.

And that's everything that I know.... :)

And now I've clicked the wrong thing and don't know how to delete this post.... :-[

Paul_H

The delete button is in the top right hand of your post.It's beside the quote button.
We have a recycling section where all the deleted posts are broken down and the letters are reused in other posts.Numbers are too but sometimes come out as @ or #<! etc.

It's supposed to be Chet's job but he;s been slacking lately.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Magicman

On this forum, I only have  "quote" and "modify" buttons?

Maybe Jeff has it fixed that way on here so that if you "cooks" it you gots to "eats" it...... digin_2

Tom

I think I finally have figured out why the Yanks don't eat much Grits.

I was looking for a mill just north of me, a family member of the owner is a member here, and I can't find it.
But, in the process, I found a site in Boston (Bahstun) that had this little blurb at the bottom.

Anson Mills grits are available for $8.95 a pound at Formaggio Kitchen, 244 Huron Ave., Cambridge

Sheesh! For 8.95 a pound, I might be wondering what they were too.  :-\
Are they being saved for the elite up there, or is this some kind of social engineering program? :-\

beenthere

Tom
The price of ammo is up too. It may be part of the "stimulus" package.   and I'm stimulated.  ;D ;D

..but we just get the best grits up here.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!