The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Cleaner Firewood?  (Read 11165 times)

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
Re: Cleaner Firewood?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 05:15:45 am »
If you're thinking of the debarker route, you might want to check out post peelers.  They handle small logs quite well.  As for 3 phase, we have it running right past our mill and found it was cheaper to run a gen set. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 06:27:07 am »
Gday

The debarker should work fine do you  blokes smaller chain flail debarkers for mills overthere  as there is a bloke building them for mills and post n plantation pulp operations here you can runn dang near anything through em  ;) eg 35' long 3" head and a 16" butt and about 5' of sweep in it  ;) this was there smaler pto model (bout 70hp) in an infield opp with a 215 cat excavator with crab grab feeding it  ;) 

The other way to go which is cheaper and more effective is just make an open bottom bucket like doug's its how all the producers with a loader or 20 to 35 ton excavator do it here out of stockpile thats for operations form 2000 upto the 20000 coards pa mate all the smaller blokes generaly just store the wood in 4' to 8' lengths then knock the bark of as they are benching it onto the truck for del  ;) ive lumped ,benced & handloaded  more semiloads than id care to remember since i was a kid   :) ??? ::) ;) :D :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline MDLogging

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 07:05:56 pm »
Thanks for all the good information.  I'm going to think about it some more and try to take the best route and I'll keep everybody posted on how it works.

Offline mrnero

• Full Member x2
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 07:11:16 pm »
I guess you can try all of the above techniques, but the best proven fact to eliminate all bark debris and all other debris in firewood, is to hand pick/hand load the firewood into a bucket loader or delivery truck. You will also notice a huge improvement in cleaner firewood if you store your processed firewood in a shed so its out of the weather while its being cured/seasoned.

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 01:32:55 pm »
I've not used those trommel screens but I've seen them run, and I would say that loading the dry firewood onto a conveyor and through that trommel will eliminate most if not all of the loose bark.  They are incredibly efficient.  The waste product can be run through a tub grinder for mulch.

Offline neslrite

• Sponsor
    • www.bluecreeper.com
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 05:01:55 pm »
Carl Neutzel is a PALAX dealer, I am sure he would be happy to help you.

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 09:30:56 pm »
I'll throw out two more ideas.....For your picky customers stack and dry it under a shed.  Much of the bark will remain tight.  For your really picky customers, look at kiln drying.  The wood will come out clean and light colored.  Charge them accordingly.

Wudman