iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Use for Slabs

Started by campy, November 28, 2009, 09:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

Magicman

Lately I've been too busy making slabs, to find time to make anything out of them..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

mine all turn into firewood rite after the log is sawn and i have a waiting list for the wood.$100 per grain truck load del  less than 10 miles. sold 14 loads that way this fall already andNOT MUCH of mne had as much wood as the one in the picture. i am studying :P up on how to be more efficient with my wood waste. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ohsoloco

Campy, do you have a market for those benches?  Looks like you could get another board out of those slabs...

Chico

I was fixin to say the same thing if your slabs are thick enough to use for anything other than scrap or burning your wasting lumber
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Tom

not necessarily so!!
Your slabs may be thick and thin, with enough on one end to make a stool.

I sawed for a doctor who turned the oak slabs (if they were thick enough) into benches; which he sold for $150 to $300 dollars a piece.  Not a bad price for a board.  :)

shinnlinger

Hi,

If a log is crooked, bowed, or tapered, or just to darn big to easily adjust on my deck, sometimes I make a slab a little heavier than ideal, but I deliberately made some heavy slabs for a picnic table idea I have.  THese slabs are currently rotting in the field, but I now have a plan....

Campy,
I like your benches, I might add feet on mine when I copy them....

THanks,

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

zopi

little flitches ripped up the middle make nice trim...or live edged picture frames, or live edged cabinet doors.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ohsoloco

Yeah, often when I'm sawing crooked or tapered logs, I'll end up with a slab that's next to nothing on one end, but really thick on the other.  The slab for the seat looked pretty consistent, that's why I mentioned it.  That's also why I asked if he had a market (or a use) for them.  If that's what you're looking for then  8)  I think that's why a lot of us bought sawmills...to cut what WE want  :)

Tom

Yep!  I just had to find a segue for mentioning the $300 benches.  ;D

campy

I would like to see a photo of the $300 bench.

This project gave me an idea for a picnic table.

Now rip this down the middle so as to form one right angle on each half.
As you look at the bench seat it would be a vertical cut.
These could be four vertical legs for my new picnic table.

The table top and seats could be 1.5" planks.

I think that would keep the weight and waste to a minimum.

The log I made the bench on had a drastic taper 3/4 of the way up.
That is why the slab is so thick.

However, I do not edge my lumber.  I give the pieces that need edging away as perks to workers/customers and only dry the best boards.  That is because I am running out of places to dry wood that are out of the rain.

So, my slabs are quite thick.

Dan_Shade

you're throwing away the best boards if you don't edge flitches.

the clearest lumber is typically the wood under the bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Puffergas

Can not beat slab wood for a base over wet land then gravel over top when making a drive way. But don't use those $300 slabs for that. I also make charcoal from them besides firewood etc.  This fall I saw slabs used as battens, looked really good. I bet they put a good sized space between the boards.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

ohsoloco

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 29, 2009, 10:53:00 PM
you're throwing away the best boards if you don't edge flitches.

the clearest lumber is typically the wood under the bark.

Ditto!

DanG

Ahhh the freedom you get when you own your own sawmill! 8) 8) 8)  You can cut your logs any way you want to!  I like that little bench, and it is serving a higher purpose than the 1x8 board he might have gotten out of it.  Not only does it provide a convenient place to take his boots off, it gives him satisfaction every time he looks at it. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

bandmiller2

Dan,what are you doing up at 2 AM don't you know you need your beauty rest.Since I retired I've been sleeping in til 5 AM still poop out at 9PM old habits are hard to break.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fodenwagon

This reminds me of a guy who makes things like that over here, some of the stuff he makes is beautiful! all made using a chainsaw mill attachment.

http://www.treet.org/

Cheers Duncan

1967 Ford County 954 Super Six.
1972 Ford Super Dexta.
1964 Fordson Dexta.
1969 Ford 550 digger
10 ton Norwet winch
1901 Grahams of Perth Rack Bench.
Husqvarna 254 xp

James P.

campy, thats a nice looking bench, your a good designer looking at your link. I like the gate. I am wasting wood too. :D Could someone come show me how its done. well when I get some logs worth worrying about.I personally wouldn't cut such a heavy slab but if you use them like for the bench I think you are probably saving wood. If not you better make some more drying space.  ;)keep up the good work :)
What Tom said about those thick and thin slabs is mostly what I have. Cutting crooked logs and not using a taper . next board after that slab is what I am cutting stickers out of.

backwoods sawyer

I have a couple customers that get more exited about the tailing pile then they do the lumber pile, so for them I add an inch to some of the pieces that they think they can use. What is a shame is when there is a real nice tailing pile that gets cut up for firewood. I have had customer's trade tailing piles so that one could have the firewood and the other could have the art wood.
When milling for myself I sort my tailings and my firewood pile is small.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Whatever salable product we can slice from a log is fair game.Mine keep me warm through our long winters.A friend is getting an old chipper and is going to try to adjust the knives to make bedding with the pine slab.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Engineer

If I know I'm getting into a clear log (especially pine) I'll take a heavy slab, flip it 90 degrees and cut 4/4 QS trim boards out of it.  I can get 15-20 really nice, straight grain boards out of a big log, and they look fantastic when clear finished.

Slabs

Awwwww!  Slabs ain't good fer hardly nuthin. ;D
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

woodbowl

Quote from: Slabs on December 02, 2009, 07:42:27 PM
Awwwww!  Slabs ain't good fer hardly nuthin. ;D

Ha! Don't listen to him. He knows just what to do with em'. You aught to see his wood working shop and his house and his wood bin and his planer, his shaper and ....
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Slabs

Ha! Don't listen to him. He knows just what to do with em'. You aught to see his wood working shop and his house and his wood bin and his planer, his shaper and ....
[/quote]

I meant ME Olen.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!