iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

curly wide quartered white oak

Started by woodmills1, November 28, 2009, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

check this out.  Hard to get a picture of both the curl and the quartered, as you move your eye over the board it is like a slide show.  My cooper customer brought 4 pieces of this 3 foot log and he had to hand quarter it to lift the pieces.  143 bd ft in a 3 foot log with 2 15 inch wide quartered boards sawn plus 3 14", 6 12" nice wood.  Hope the pictures do it justice.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

scsmith42

Man, that is sweet!  I love wide QS boards!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

woodmills1

you had to see how loaded his half ton was with the hand quartered logs
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

Kinda tough to see but I can make out the angling curl in the backround. Quatered curly can get BUSY.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodmills1

move your eye side to side  lika slide show............... :P the nicest wood I eva sawed

SwampDonkey

Is it curly-ripple like, or a strong ray fleck?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

It is true very curly like the maples get.

SwampDonkey

Must'a been stump wood, since the logs were short. The board ends show some tear-out. Still, cool stuff. Lucky find. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

Now the kicker

the wood belongs to my cooper customer, it was his log and he cut it short and hand split quartered it so he could hand load his truck

IT IS GOING TO MAKE

BEER BARRELS
:o :o :D :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Curly, quartered beer barrels, no less. ;D  :)

woodmills1

yep

gonna be some nice looking barrels fo sura

but then I kno you know he can only use the quartered for the barrels

so some other nice curly riftsawn white oak is for?????

SwampDonkey

MikeH

Here is a nice close up I got of this rare bird.

dail_h

I'd like a barrel of beer ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dan_Shade

I run into a real conundrum when I see something like that, Mike!  I have no idea what to do with it, because anything that I do to it will make it worse  :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

You know since you mentioned it, ther is nothing more sinful (IMHO) than seeing Cadillac material made into Chevette.  >:(

Ironwood

Chico

Why is it he can only use quartered wo for a barrel Choice I assume
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Dan_Shade

I think all barrels are quartersawn material.  There was a video on the forum a while back showing the process.  the factories have some pretty neat equipment used to quartersaw the staves (I think that's what they are called).  they probably use quartersawn material due to it's stability.

white oak makes good barrels for liquid storage due to it's closed pore nature.

Here is a link to the post with the video:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35368.0.html

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Not all barrels are quartered, white oak is because it is open grained but tylosis fills the pores. It's quartered to ensure water tight. Up here potato barrels were never quartered. The last ones dad bought were white cedar made 30 years ago and they stayed like brand new barrels all them years unless someone ran over or crushed one. They were some nice barrels and very light to wheel around, made locally.  Used to pressure wash them to disinfect for seed potatoes and they would shine up like new. 8)

Dan_Shade

thanks for the clarification, Swampy.

I thought potatoes came in clear plastic bags? ???

SwampDonkey

Yeah light burned and turned green skins, yuck. :D

Them whisky barrel staves would likely be easier to steam bend to, since shrinkage is greater in thickness on quartered timber. Less likely to bust the fibres.

woodmills1

As explained by Ron the cooper, a non quartered board runs the risk of delaminating at a point where a growth ring hits the board face when it is bent to form the stave.  Ron is the resident cooper at the strawberry bank museum in portsmouth.

SwampDonkey

woodmills1

Ron was here yesterday to pick up half the wood, as I cut two red oaks I had for him also.  He thought maybe he would use a few of the white pieces for furniture but the bulk is going to beer barrels :D

Thank You Sponsors!