iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Piles

Started by pnyberg, November 27, 2009, 08:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

Here's a question that comes to mind as I review portable sawyer's web sites about how mill sites should be laid out. 

There are often statements about how logs should be piled up in one spot, so the mill can just pull up and start loading.  But, I started wondering if they really mean piled?

I can see maybe being able to handle a bit of piling, but I've seen lots of pictures around here of log piles 12 feet high, or more.  Do people really pull decent sized logs down off piles like this using cant hooks?

Not that I've actually had a customer yet, but if I had one that presented me with a pile like this, with the expectation that I would work it by hand, I think I would just walk away. 

--Peter
No longer milling

beenthere

Maybe "stacked" is more definitive as it seems to better imply there is some order as to how the logs lay in the pile/stack.

But yes, people carefully roll logs off a stack to get them onto the mill. Realizing that moving one log may cause one or more (or many) other logs to move.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Twelve feet might be a bit of a stretch, but I've managed stacks of logs  tht were in the 8-10 foot range.  You have to be careful, pull the bottom logs out and let the stack settle to a more manageable height. It helps to have equipment to pull it down, but you would be surprised what you can do with a cant hook on each end of a log.  There are times when a log will get pinched or locked and you can't get it down.  The temptation is to climb on the stack and take one from the top.  Do-o-o-o-n't do it. pull the logs down with a backhoe or tractor.  Your are not allowed to mess up even one time.  Two ton logs don't bounce, they smash you dead.

'Course it's better to keep the logs low to the ground.  A stack of logs three high is about as many as you really want to attack.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Tom on November 27, 2009, 08:59:26 PM
Course it's better to keep the logs low to the ground.  A stack of logs three high is about as many as you really want to attack.
Three big logs high will be in the 6'-9' range witch is plenty high. The less I have to roll a log the better when 20 logs are laid out one beside the other that last log can be a ways away from the mill. Stacked in a pyramid that last log is still close to the mill.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

I like to see them no more than two high off the ground and clean.When your making arrangements with customer specify what you want for a pile some just have them spread out all over a field caked in mud. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I like the logs piled about 6' high, 8' maximum!  This being a lot of nice logs.
You just have to be on your toes when you bring a log off the pile!
Don't turn your back on the rest of the pile either!  Sometimes several logs will roll!
Once you get a log from the pile to the mill, look the pile over and if it looks unsafe, then bring a couple more logs down to ground level!
Make sure you and your helper are on the same page when rolling logs off the pile!

I had an order of 30 nice red pine logs, back in September and the guy asked how I wanted them, and I said stack them about 5 high, but when I got there, they were laid side-by-side.  That last log was around 30-35 feet from the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Two bearer logs flush limbed about 8" dia and what ever length you need under the pile as it makes it easier to roll them upto the mill  ;) and i dont go over the 3to4' hgh mark in small logs under 24"dia and big logs over that usually single depth or double but the bigger they are the harder they are to breakout of the pile with cant hooks and always remember Safety First Mate abit of time spent rearanging a deck of logs is time well spent  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

John Bartley

Quote from: Tom on November 27, 2009, 08:59:26 PMA stack of logs three high is about as many as you really want to attack.

Yup, I agree, I like 'em piled about three high also, unless the log owner has machinery for moving them, then I don't care. I like them at least 6"off the ground so that they stay clean and will roll up on my ramps easier (manual mill)

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

bill m

When I stack logs for someone to mill I try not to go more than waist high, butt ends to back end of mill and all up on smaller poles to make rolling easier.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

woodmills1

before I got any ability to move logs myself I used to buy logs from a log trucker.  he kinda got a kick out of loading the pile..............putting a big man killer on top.....I did things like using car jacks to push one out of the bottem rather than getting killed or chrushing the mill from the monster on top
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

I like them stacked.  We "cant hooked" them all off as we sawed.  I moved the mill to each stack..... 8) A very nice Whack O Logs".

From the other end

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Them's some pretty little logs there Magic, but what do you do when they are 36", crooked and knarly?  At some point, a sawyer has to make the customer hold up his end of the bargain, at least to where the job can be done safely.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

OK Dang, sometimes they look like this or worse....

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

A assume you guys charge by the hour on these type of arrangements?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Quote from: shinnlinger on November 29, 2009, 07:10:42 AM
A assume you guys charge by the hour on these type of arrangements?

No, I generally just let the "hide go with the hair" :)

They are mostly first time customers.  After they see what/how things work, they straighten things up.  Most all customers skidded them up with their own tractors, so they get busy.

Thank You Sponsors!