Started by bill m, November 27, 2009, 06:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill m

Here are some photos of my log landing last winter

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

beenthere

Quite the logs. 8)
What is the rest of the story.  ::) ??? ;D

Did you saw them out of that landing, or sell them? 

The forum allows those pics to be up to 500 pixels, which is about twice the size (just so's you know  :) ;) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Bill, looks like  you had been busy.  Did you harvest all those?  That's a lot of logs to me.

Tell us more.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bill m

The forester I do most of my work for markets the logs, I get paid by the M to get them on the landing. It took me over 3 hrs. to get these pictures on this post so next time i hope to do better. There are more in my gallery. I can't find a way to link from my post to my gallery.

Tom

bill, if they are in your gallery, putting them into your post is downhill

Open the post window
go to your gallery
open a picture
scroll down until you find the sentence
"Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window" that is written in green.

click on that sentence and the code will automatically be put in your posting window.

Hard, huh? :D

fishpharmer

Hang in there Bill.  It gets easier.  Kinda like riding a bike.  

Never mind what I say about pictures.  Listen to Tom.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jasperfield

Is that a Metavic trailer? Can you give us the scoop on it?

Dave Shepard

Very nice! I used to borrow a similar trailer, but it had a steer axle up front so you could use it with horses.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

James P.

that is some nice stacks of logs. Bill tell us more about the type trees.

Mooseherder

semologger

Either you are bringing in some nice logs or you have a real small tractor and trailer. ;D. looks good sir.

thecfarm

Nice!!! What kind of tractor and HP? Looks like a NH.  I suppose those are white pine logs.Looks like quite a load you have on.Good size logs there too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

The tractor is a NH tc55 - 55 hp. and yes, the trailer is a Metavic 7 ton with 4 wheel drive, xt1400 loader with hyd. extension. Those are all 12 ft.  Ash logs on the trailer. With a load of 12 and 14 ft. I get 1 M per load. With 16 ft. I can get a little more than 1300 ft. The sort behind the tractor is all White Pine. Very nice logs and the trees average 800 ft. per tree. One of the largest had 630 Ft. in the first 12 Ft. butt log and 900 ft. in the second 16 ft. log. This is a winter only job so I should be here for the next 2 or 3 winters.

semologger

Well its nice to know were you are going to be for the next couple winters. Are you going to update to a cab on your tractor? At least you Know your air works right now. How long did it take you to get that stack of white pine?

bill m

No cab - I don't mind the cold. I started this job mid Nov. last year but production was very slow till Christmas because of warm weather. I cut the pine untill end of Jan. than switched to Ash, than Tulip Poplar, than Hemlock. Finished for the season about March 15th.

woodmills1

metavic makes a very good in the woods trailer..............the trees can be good or bad depends on your lot
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

customdave

Yes those are real nice logs! Sure would like to see a close up picture  of your log wagon, looks like a beauty if you have time sir. Play safe!!!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

glk34

Sure are nice logs. What are you using to fell/skid them with?

bill m

Hand felling everything with a Husky 372xp. All forwarding to the landing is done with the tractor and trailer. For spots I can't get the trailer to I have a grapple/winch combination for the 3pt hitch. I just get the logs to a location where I pick them up with the trailer. I don't think I have used the grapple/winch more than 6 hrs total on this job. I'll get pictures and post them later this week.

Jasperfield

A Metavic trailer will make bad logs look better.

bill m

Jasperfield, I'm kinda new at this and didn't really understand your post.

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the forum Bill  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) Your already onta Us Mate We Like Pics  ;)  :D :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

I Reckon Jaspers just sayn that a Nice bit of gear always makes  good logs look Great  ;) ;D 8) 8) You have a good settup there and your cutting some bloody nice looking sawlogs how many Mbft do you get out to the landing on an avereage day  Falling & forwarding Mate  ??? ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bill m

In Pine I was cutting about 2 to 5 Mbft a day depending on how easy it was to get them on the ground. Wedging and directional felling everything so as to not damage the good hardwood ( Oak ) we were leaving. Production for last winter was 27Mbft of Tulip and Ash, 19 Mbft of Hemlock, 88 ton of Pine and Hemlock pulp, 15 cord of firewood and 72 Mbft of EWP.

Thank You Sponsors!