iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to save these logs?

Started by Qweaver, November 27, 2009, 03:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We cleared some land this summer and have about 110 poplar logs that are mainly 12' to 16' in length and range from 12" to 24" in dia.  Mostly 20" dia on average.  I just fell and broke my femur so I can not saw for a month or two but I have two older relatives that can operate the saws OK and I'm considering having them saw and stack a few of the best logs but there is no way that they are willing to saw the whole lot on my LT 15 manual mill.  I know that these logs will ruin over the winter.  No one will buy logs here right now and we can't even get someone to take them on a share of the sawn lumber basis.  We could probably make the time to saw them into cants and sticker and stack them in the shed, but I think they would dry and split and crack before I have time to saw them.  I hate to see this much timber go to waste.
Suggestions?
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tom

In the heat, down here, the logs are sprinkled to keep them wet. Two things inhibit the growth of fungus, Heat and Humidity.  There is a small window where heat allows growth.  I would think that W. Virginia would be cold enough in the winter to keep fungus from growing.  If you keep the logs wet, sprinkle them or submerge them, the fungus is slowed or stopped too.

Insects are at their minimum in the winter months.  If you keep them at bay and don't allow the laying of eggs, you won't have larvae nor the "vacination" of your logs with the fungus.

Removing the bark is also a way to keep the insects at bay, since they start off eating the cambium layer beneath the bark.

Fungicides and insecticides might help, but that could be expensive and still not get the job done.

Toolman

Wish I lived closer to you. I'd jump on that share cutting deal. I love Poplar boards. You should be fine with those logs. Keep them off the ground. They'll do fine this winter. throw a tarp over them to keep the snow and rain off.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

John_Haylow

I think your Poplar logs will be fine for 1 year Quinton. I have cut Poplar that were older than that and they were fine.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

campy

Maybe you could hire and train an apprentice and a helper.
Something like two $10/hour folks.

There are a lot of carpenters out of work.

Maybe you could sell some of the wood as they do the cutting.

zopi

get em off the ground and end seal them....they'll last awhile..peel em will help...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Brucer

My very first portable job was from a guy who had a dozen big Ponderosa Pine logs that were given to him. He didn't have an immediate use for the wood, but didn't want it to go to waste.

I was hired to square up the logs and then saw out the centre -- basically big FOHC cants with plenty of wane. He stacked and "stickered" them (with 4x4 blocking), sealed the ends, and put a lumber tarp over them. None of them cracked and he was able to resaw them over the next few years.

I don't know as you'd want to do this with 12" logs, but the 24" ones might be suitable.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

Quint,logs be DanGed take it easy and heal properly,having outhers mill your stuff will probibly be a big agrivation,you'll be there and in ten minutes working.If possible get them up off the ground and wait till you fully well. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Qweaver

Thanks for the input everyone.  I won't be able to do a thing for several months and it seems like everyone in the family is busy with their own problems.  I got one email from a sawyer not too far away and that may work out.  I like the idea of doing cants and may try at least some.  I'll be able to finish saw them in a few months and they will probably be ok for that long.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

shinnlinger

Quinton,

What do you see using the logs for in the end?  If you cant some, great, if you can end seal some ,great, but you will be surprised at what you get out of them next spring.  I have cut what we call poplar up here (might be different down there) that had been down for three years and made some beautiful boards.  A little gray in the sap wood, but very nice.  I then turned these beauties into stickers, but they were nice.

Bottom line is do what you can when you can and be happy with the result.  I would also say  that any log you get on a mill this fall I would go right to something you can see using, be it a board or a 2x.

Heal up.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

EmannVB

I'm about 3 hours south of you, down in Summers county.  I'm knee deep in sawing Poplars myself.  I'll have some free time in December if you need a hand.  I've only been sawing for a few months on my TK B-20, but I think I can make you some square cants or boards! Matter of fact, I just hit my first metal this weekend- 3  16-penny nails in the center of a 30 inch Poplar.   I'll keep my amature status until I hit a log stop.  ;D

~Mark
2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

kderby

" I'll keep my amateur status until I hit a log stop.  "

Mark,

Thats pretty funny and oh so true.  You will learn that unique sound one day.  You will wonder, WHAT WAS THAT?  Then the truth shall be known and you can call your self a real "Pro." Arghhhhhh ::) ::) ::) ::)

Magicman

Quote from: kderby on November 30, 2009, 10:44:48 PM
and you can call your self a real "Pro."

And after you become a "Pro", you'll still hit something.  It may take a few years......but it will happen.  We all get distracted......and then "stuff" happens.... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: Qweaver on November 27, 2009, 03:53:05 PMI know that these logs will ruin over the winter.
Quinton,

The logs should be fine, AFAIK, but I was more curious what could happen to them when sitting over the winter, and what could be done as a precaution?

Hopefully you or one of the more knowledgeable folks could explain that.

I know that it rains in WV, like a cow pi$$en on a flat rock...I mean, does it ever quit raining there?  ::)

More so, I'm currently looking to get some doug fir that was fell last March to June, and wanted to know if there is something I should look for with the timber, other than being without a lot of checks, and in good shape (rot/bugs/etc)???

I was planning to spray them with borates (2 cups of 20 mule team Borax per 5 gallons of water) to keep the bugs at bay.

Our climate is much different out here, but it does rain, just not like it does back there. I was sure glad to come back to Cali and slip into my birks after that trip...but I sure grew to love my Red Wings...with all the mud...lol

I would think that if you get them off the ground and on bunks they will do fine though, even if you don't peel them. I have heard that painting the ends helps a lot, and plan to do that with the fir, if I get it.
The axeman in the twentieth century displaying this determination to find peace and sanity is joined in history to every pioneer who set himself to carving a homestead in a new world.  B.Allan Mackie - "Building with Logs"

WTB - used sawmill around NorCal/Oregon area

Thank You Sponsors!