iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

electric goat fence?

Started by redpowerd, September 23, 2003, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

anyone use electric fencin to contain goats?
wondering how high the wires were.
i want to contain a bunch of brushy areas in my woods paige wire is too expensive.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

smwwoody

120 volt doesnt work real well

my one uncle toasted a few pigs like that  :o
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

Had a neighbor in Arkansas that kept milk goats. His fence was  :o crotch high  :o, with 1 strand between it and the ground. The lower strand burned the grass back, so the top strand kept the goats home.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

I once had goats - about 20 of them.  Barbed wire won't work, since they just walk through it.  I never tried electric fence, but Harold's version sounds reasonable.

I used 4' cattle fence, and that worked well as long as there wasn't any place they could wiggle under or climb over.  They love standing on things.  I wonder if they get shocked when they put their hoof on the fence.  

My goats decided that they wanted to be free range goats, so I allowed it and the neighbors didn't complain.  They eliminated all the multiflora rose, honeysuckle, trees and anything else that wasn't nailed down.  I also collected Christmas trees to help with the feed in the winter.  Just make sure the tinsel is taken off.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Fla._Deadheader

Leave the Tinsel on  ;D ;D  Then ya get decorated ornermints to hang on the trees  :D :D :) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

i knew you guys would hand it to me even before i asked.
 ;D
i figgerd goats wont jump over a fence like a deer, seems they need to land on something higher or they wont bother.
they barely like to step over things, unless they can get altitude.
ill try deadheaders neighbors method
thanks, ill let you know if they get out, ill send ya some ornermints :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Percy

Hmmmm
Where you get electric goats?? :o ;D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Linda

Redpowerd,

We just installed a solar powered electric fencer and 17 gauge wire for our goats (4' x 3/8"dia. posts are every 30 feet).

First we tried 2 wires.  One 22" (goat shoulder height) and one at 12".  Our goats are 6 months old and pretty much the same size.  One goat kept jumping over the top wire and the others kept going under the bottom wire.  We hadn't had rain for 2 months at the time, so it was hard to get a good ground.  :-/

We ended up with one hot wire at 9", a ground wire at 18", and another hot wire at 28".  It took only one or two minutes for them to "check out" the new wire.  One or two "zaps" was all it took.  They haven't got out now for 2 weeks (they won't go within 1or 2 feet of the fence).  8)

We have a lot of coyotes in our area, so I have their goat house inside eight 54" cattle panels, which is inside the electric fence (I lock them in the cattle panels at night).

I read that barbed wire is dangerous to goats.  It won't keep them in and they can get bad cuts from it.  :(

Linda :)

Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

biziedizie

Linda can you post some pics of your goats :)

Steve

C_Miller

Yeah I don't think I've seen a picher of Al. :D

C
CJM

Tom

One of my Old Timers told me "To keep a Goat from jumping a fence, you lean a board on it and he'll just walk over?. :-/

Linda

Biziedizie,

Here are a couple of pictures.  The computer crashed when we were trying to load the best ones, so this is the best I can do for now.  ::)

C,

The one of Al must have been the computer crasher.  ;D

beenthere

Which one is Al?  I can't pick him out.

Still laughin at Fla's tinsel plan for tree decorations. :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redpowerd

man. them earless goats are sick. my uncle (step uncle) has a few. wen i first seen em i thought i seen terrorist rambargade, then the little one came out with a name for em, cant remember
anyway
nice animals, cept for the ears ???
why>
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

biziedizie

Linda, awwwww cute goats :) My kid will like seeing these pics :)
 Thanks

Steve

Norm

You know I didn't even notice they didn't have long ears until repowerd said something. I went back and sure enough no ears. Of course now we'll need a goat in addition to them darn guineas that Noble keeps trying to make me get for Patty.

Patty wants one for the milk but I know who will end up getting stuck doing it when she's busy. Are yours for pets Linda?

Linda

They are a cross between La Mancha (little or no ears) and Nubians (long floppy ears).  The black goat has very tiny stubs for ears, but the lighter colored ones have slightly more and somewhat floppy.

A few people that have seen them (if they are use to seeing long ear goats)  actually thought they were a dog at first glance.  :D

The black goat is the "queen" of our tiny herd.  ;D  She thinks her ears make her look more "sophisticated."  ;)

Norm,

They are pets.  I had the mother for awhile (until the one she claimed was weaned.  I milked her for the other 2 bottle fed kids.

I told Al I would like to breed them once, so we could have fresh goat milk.  He put a stop to that instantly, not that he was afraid he would have to milk them, but because he thought my time was more valuable as his helper!  ::)

Beenthere,

The ornery one!  :D  ;D

Linda  :)

Bro. Noble

Man,  I can't believe how mean some of you FF guys are! ;)

Norm won't let Patty have some guinees :'(
Al won't let Linda have a milk goat :'(
Jeff won,t let Tammy have that cute little schoolbus :'(

You guys otter be like Bibbyman------he gets Mary anything she wants ;D------new sawmill,  new loader, new truck

Heck I'd even buy my wife something if she would raise my allowance :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Norm

Your right Noble, I promise to mend my ways. I took the liberty to call your wife, and said to have an auction to get rid of all the old junk around your place. Then I told her with the money she makes she can raise your allowance so you can buy her something nice.

Bro. Noble

Oh man has this thread taken a vicious turn :o

Maybe we better talk about food like we're supposed to :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

ElectricAl

Noble Noble Noble ::),

We really don't need to piddle and putt around milking goats when I can buy a gallon of the good stuff for 2 bucks ;)

Now don't get the idea I'm no fun ??? I helped Linda make a real nice Goat Gate in about 15 minutes ;D It's all the time I could spare for goats :D

Hey, I did buy Linda a nice new Solar powered electric fencer.

See it on the gate post

That Goat zapper was a cool 100 bucks :o

DanG,  goats are costing me a bunch of money :-/

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bro. Noble

What was I ever thinking when I made that post? :-X

I've been having nightmares that my wife might sell all my treasures because of what Norm said ::)

When I saw that you had posted,  I was afraid that you might be sending me some of those DanG goats just to be spiteful :o  Looks to me like you have gone above and beyond in the goat department :D

I was serious about that mean old Jeff not letting Tammy get that cute little bus though.  You otter see all the stuff he accumulated on his trip.  She just gots some rocks she found in the dirt :'(

Linda

Yeah, Al helped me hook the electric fencer up, too!  You can tell by the picture that he did a good job.  :-/  It looks as though it's zapping the skin right off my face and neck.  :o

Nice resolution Al !   ::)  

Oh, yeah, Al;  I notice you didn't mention that the 15 minute gate is tied down with 4 -12" landscape nails either!  :-[  Wonder how long my gate will be standing after we get those wonderful whirling winds up here on "frost bite" mountian?

Noble,

Don't worry, the goats won't let Al get close enough to send them to you.  They think he's in competition with them and would just as soon butt him as pal around with him.  ;D

redpowerd

well, theres a picture of an electric goat fence!
al, a gallon of good stuff?
more like $13.50 per cwt
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Haytrader

I shouldn't even say what I'm thinkin.
But.........what the heck.  It is Saturday night... ;)
If I didn't know better, I would say Linda is GUARDING the gate. SHE probably put the charger up to keep someone out.

Hardy Har Har  :D

Well, I thought it was funny.
 :)  :)  :)

Haytrader

Linda

redpowerd

linda,
 have you had any goats with 'milk fever'?
cows will usually get it a few days or so after fresh, while they still have colostrum.
had a goat kid about 3 weeks ago, and shes showin signs of milk fever, but i think its way late for that.
gave her 5ccs of penicilin.
any thoughts? i cant find a vet to look at her for a week or so.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Haytrader

red,

Cause yer to busy?

or

Vets dislike em that much, huh?

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

ADfields

Don't sound like milk fever to me but some I-V dextrose would not be a bad thing if she is down.   The dextrose will Get her back up but don't milk her till she is bagged up hard and then don't milk her dry for a couple days.   Our Jerseys were bad to get milk fever but I don't remember any of our Holsteins having it, I think because of size but ???   If it is size goats could be real bad to get it but I have not been around goats for 30 years or more as don't much like them. :-/
Andy

redpowerd

alas, she died today around noon :-[
this mornin when i checked on her after milkin she was cold, we think she may have caught pneumonia, with the stress of her kids.
she was 2, our first baby goat. but she left 2 behind, and theyre weaned. odd
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

etat

check the little one's eyes, weak color or pale around the edges indicate worms.  Keeping goats wormed is very important.  Also extremely sick goats I used to give Nuflor injection.  It is a VERY strong antibiotic.  Most times when you give it to them it will knock them off their feet for a minute, you'll think you killed it. Extremely important to give it in a muscle.  In a minute it'll get back up, and if anything is going to help it will.  Goats that weren't quite so sick I would just usually give a shot of penicillin.  When the little ones are born giving them a mouthful of vitamins will also help them get strong quick.  A female especially having her first kids, it doesn't hurt to give them a dose of the same vitamins.  I can't remember what it was but I'd get it at the feed store and it was something for sheep.  Also you have to be careful worming a pregnant goat, some wormers will kill the babys.  I used to use paste wormer like you give horses (the safest), alternating it with, Ivimek (spell).  The biggest killer of goats is worms, and overfeeding, especially with grain, and pneumonia.  It doesn't matter what kind of electric fence you have, if something gets against it and it shorts out, they'll know it.  I used to worm my goats every three months, and trim their feet.  I understand that if they were on rocky ground they'd usually keep their feet worn down eliminating the need to trim.  If giving shots for worms the shot goes under the skin, not in a muscle.  If you don't have vitamins available for after they birth you can mix dark corn syrup, and warm water, this willl give them an immediate boost of energy.  Doesn't always work, but when it does the results are spectacular. Worm babies with paste wormer as soon as possible after birth. (paste wormer goes in the mouth)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

redpowerd

thanks ckate!
some helpful information there, what are the vitimins you speak of? would i have the same at the dairy farm? im pretty new to this goat stuff.

also wondering about the paste, we worm with pellets twice a year, and get the babies when they are older(few months)
i think she was too young and to small to be kidding,  we did have a cold snap, she may have caught a draft.

thanks for the info, more than the vet gave us!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

etat

Would not be the same as for cows.  One big problem I had when I was raising Boar Goats (expensive) was the vets.  They didn't know a darned thing about goats.  I started asking every question I could when I went to goat sales.  You don't have to have many 12 hundred dollar goats to kick the bucket to realize you better learn how to doctor em.  I can't remember the name of the vitamin stuff, it was in a small bottle, and a dark liquid in it full of sugar and starches, and it was specifically for sheep.  Also for a QUICK booste you can give them a small dose of Red Cell, it is also a vitamine available at feed stores,  not too much though, or not very often.  Only when they are sick, or they are really wormy and you're trying to bring them back.  This may not help you much this time of the year, but one thing that is REALLY good for sick goats is fresh twigs and leaves from trees, even if you have to cut them a limb or too.  Also there's something that you can give very little ones that helps put bacteria in their stomach so theyll digest food better.  Whatever it was it's the same thing you give cows to straighten out their digistive tracks.  You should ALWAYS give goats this big ones or little ones after very strong antibotics, as it is possible that the antibotics can kill the organisms that help them digest food.  It's been a few years since I sold my herd so most of this is from memory, but maybe it will help tell you what you need to be looking for.  Again, especially look at the pink part around their eyes.  This should be a darker pink, healthy color.  Very light washed out pink indicates a goat that is desperately in need of worming, and vitamins. Ocassionally also I would buy a vitamin block like for cows for them, but you have to be careful or they'll eat too much of it, let em have it for a while, and then take it away for a while.

I've been in georga for a minute, I wish I could have caught your first post about your goat getting sick, some of this may have helped.  Again, vets do NOT know much about goats.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Again, worm the babies as soon as possible after birth with paste wormer like you give horses.  Just squeeze a bit in their mouth, they love the taste of it.  I used to buy the apple flavored.  If you keep them for a long time ocassionally switch wormers on older goats, sometimes they'll become immune to one if you don't ocasionally switch up.

Haytrader

I have a neighbor who has close to 400 Boar goats.
I am just sure he does not give them the attention you guys are talking about.
He seems to get along.
He raises dogs for a livin. Must have 500-600 of about 10 different breeds.
Haytrader

Linda

Redpowerd,

Sorry to hear about your goat.  :(    I haven't had any dealings with "milk fever."  Is it a form of mastitis?  I will ask a friend of mine (who has 40 goats) if she knows anything about it.  She is on vacation, but if she has any ideas when she gets back I will let you know.

When I have medical questions about my goats I usually visit one or two websites.  www.goatworld.com
or www.fiascofarm.com

I agree with cktate about vets.  Most don't know much about goats and some think goats are worthless and don't take the time to treat them properly.  If you can find one that has a lot of experience with sheep, it would help because sheep are quite similar to goats.  

The friendly bacteria is what cktate was trying to describe, for use after antibiotics.  I use "Probios" powder and mix it with their grain.  There is also a paste available.

Linda

etat

Thanks for helping me out there Linda. Probios is what it was.  I never had much trouble with goats exceptin ole bob until I got them boar goats.  Seems like the ones that costed the most was the ones that needed the most doctoring.  I kept goats almost 4 years and it seemed the more I tried to improve my herd with better stock, the more I watched and doctored them, too much money not too, especially on a small herd.  I'm glad I got out when I did because not long after the bottom fell out of the prices, at least around here.  

That said, they were a LOT of fun, especially when you had a bunch of little ones.  A LOT. :) :) :)

redpowerd

thanks linda,
i think milk fever is received when the cow looses milk quickly and suddenly, not much of a herdsman, more of a crop botanist ;D i dont think it is related to mastitis in any way.

willow, the nanny, was only weak for a few days. after she died, we picked her up and she threw up a bunch of green stuff that stank to high he!!. luckily she lived long enough to feed and wean her two kids.
thanks for the links, ill check them after milkin ;D

QuoteSeems like the ones that costed the most was the ones that needed the most doctoring.
:Dim sure thats why they are worth so much! ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

wiam

Linda,
Milk fever in cows is caused by low calcium levels in the blood.  Usually just before or just after giving birth.  It will make the animal too weak to even stand up.  Sometimes the animal dies from it.  The treatment for this is an IV in the main artery in the neck with a calcium solution.  This works very quickly.  By the time you get a 500ml bottle into her she will be fighting you and trying to stand.  Proper nutrition during late pregnancy will help prevent this.
Probably to much info.

That being said I know NOTHING about goats.

William

ADfields

New Born's calf's respond well to the Karo like cktate laid out but we would mix 50-50 with raw egg's and Karo then thin with water just enough to flow good and drench them if they wont suck.   With that I have found calf's so far gone they were cold in the mouth with eyes all fogy and saved them with that drench and putting them in a bath tub of 105 degree water. ;)  

To bad you lost her red! :'(   I always get mad at myself when I lose one.   And yes, it's always the one I needed to keep the most that kicks the bucket after a ton of hard work and long nights. :-[
Andy

redpowerd

part of farmin.
ill hafta try that emergency drench next time i got a weak calf, but i aint puttin it in the bathtub! :D the sink works fine! :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

wiam

I've had more than one calf in the tub.  Found no other way when you find them in the snow when it is -20.

William

redpowerd

were lucky enough to have a bathtub size stainless sink in the milkhouse. i also have one in my laundry. 8)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Linda

Wonder what ElectricAl would say if he caught me puttin one of my goats in the tub!  :o  Might be worth a try just to see. ;D

Suppose he'd ground me from the shop for a week? :D :D :D :D :D

William,

What you described sounds like what my friend's German Shephard dog went through every time she had pups.  To treat her, they gave her mega doses of calcium pills orally.  I think it took her 1/2 a day before she was strong enough to walk around normally again.  Thanks for the info.

Linda

Bro. Noble

In addition to what Wiam said:

Milk fever is caused because of the sudden demand for calcium at the onset of milk production.  It's hard for a high milk producing animal to get the needed calcium from it's feed so mother nature gives the animal the ability to draw calcium from the bones during this period.  To help prevent milk fever,  there are two easy things that you can do:

1)   Don't feed legumes before birth because this is high in calcium and prevents the animal from starting to take calcium from the bone.  Then during the high demand for calcium the body isn't working right and the feed doesn't supply enough calcium.  After birth,  lots of legume hay or pasture and calcium supplements are good.

2)  Give vit. D shots a month or two before the animal is due and then again as soon as possible after birth.  Vit. D helps the body process calcium.

If the animal is down a combination of calcium and glucose  (available at most feed stores and farm supply stores)  is the best treatment.  IV in the juglar vein is the preferred method,  but the milk vein is often used or even subcutanious ( in several locations).  If given IV,  don't let it run in too fast or the animal will go into shock.  When given properly,  it is normal for the animal to tremble as the calcium and glucose take effect.

redpowerd

so the objective for the fresh one to take calcium from the bones to make milk? i love to pass this stuff to my brother, hes the cow man, im the goat roper!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Norm

Linda that Al is a slavedriver, take off a couple of days and come over to sunny Bangor.

ps... bring your edger ;D

ElectricAl

Norm,

If I send the edger over on our neighbors TrailKing Drop Deck, think he could back haul the track hoe so Patty can straighten the creek?
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

trouter

I use a board fence 48" high with two strand electric around the bottom Top strand is about 20" bottom strand is about 10" off the ground never had any trouble.

Norm

I wouldn't have a problem with that Al, but you know how the DNR is about messing with a creek. I almost had to get permission from them to build my pond. Seems if it gets over a certain size they need to do an impact study. Darned if it wasn't just under that size. ;D

Patty has been talking about fresh milk again. You would think soom interprising dairyman would sell fresh milk in this state but have not been able to find one. I'd like to find one that likes fresh eggs for breakfast to barter with.

Patty

Al

You need a creek straightened? No problem ;D. I never was one for letting those pesky laws and their enforcers bother me.    Me and Martha could become great pals. Heck, she might even be able to teach me how to cook and make those cutsey little craft things she does so well. ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

redpowerd

its against zoning regulations for dairymen to sell milk to the public. you need a permit, and fill out form w-r4 and tt-90, get an attorney to sign here, here, and ........here.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Norm

That may be the reason milk prices are so bad Jon, cutting out the middle man is illegal without a bunch of bs. I like to make my own pizza but the store bought mozzarella is so salty I can't stand it anymore. Bought me the book and ingredients to make my own.

How bought slipping me a couple of gallons under the table. ;D

redpowerd

trade for some home brew motzerella?

the kraft cheese plant here in canton announced its shutting down this summer, now we need to ship 30 more miles.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

ADfields

We always sold our raw milk for non human use (WINK WINK) only. ;) ;)   We would tell them it's what we drink, and I will give you a cup to drink right now for free but if we sell you some the law states you CANT drink it and you understand that, right? ;) ;)   We were getting $3 a gallon in the 70"s and selling around 40 gallons a day, then we were given base by U.D.A. for free if we would stop selling.   In the mid 80's we sold that base for $130K when we shut down.   Dad still has a show string of around 30 Jersey cows that we don't know what to do with when he can no longer handle them.
Andy

Linda

Norm,

So if'n I bring my "little champ" over, you gonna show me how to make that mozzy cheese? ;D

I just started making my own yogurt.  8)
Lots better than the stuff you buy at the store!  Even if I do say so myself.   ::)

By the way, You think this wife swappin' thing is legal?  :-X
I'd hate to do time over "cheesy little champ @ mozzy creek." ;)

Linda :)

Linda

Trouter,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

You been goatin' long?  I had to put my bottom wire 6" off the ground (one of my goats loves to go under the fence). ::)

Did you saw your own lumber for the fence?  

If you get a chance, fill out your biography.

Linda  :)

ADfields

QuoteNorm,

By the way, You think this wife swappin' thing is legal?  :-X

:D :D :D Never saw that one coming. :D :D :D
Andy

Norm

Andy we had Jerseys' growing up and they are a great cow. Too bad your dad is so far away I'd volunteer to give em a place to go out to pasture so to speak.

Linda these folks don't know how wild us Iowans are, must be the long winters.  :D

Are you having any baby goats this spring? They are the cutest little things.

ADfields

Well thanks Norm.   He has the milkers farmed out to a family Friend in Buckeye Arizona for the last 10 years.   They are mixed in with 2000 Holsteins, he keeps them in the first calf heifer string.   Dad has all the young ones with him.   I would like to bring them up hear and milk them so they stay in the family but don't see how I can money wise. :-/   He will likely sell them in the next couple years now.   They are great stock, all on DHIA and testing the the top 1/4 of all Jerseys in the US for profit.   They go to 3 shows a year now (used to be 9) and do very well.   Dad has a huge stock pile of silver platters from over the years from the shows and just got one from the Arizona State Fair for showing there 50 years in a row last year.
Andy

Norm

That's cool Andy, we showed Jerseys in 4H. They are real easy to halter break and are a nice looking cow. After we quit milking my dad kept two that were really tame. They finally died of old age after many years of out to pasture. Seemed fitting.

Thank You Sponsors!