Sponsors:

Sycamore

Started by Hi-Country Orange, November 25, 2009, 12:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi-Country Orange

Are there any good uses for sycamore ??

Tom

Yes there are.

Cut in vertical grain configurations, it's lumber is beautiful and used for furniture.

It makes a grand table, when cut into thicker dimensions.

It's not rot resistant but works as structural timbers inside of a outbuildings.

It's claim to fame is its figure and high finish.

Hi-Country Orange

Thanks Tom, I've got a guy that want's to give me 30 or 40 10'
logs so i guess i'll take them, because i need a couple of small
utility sheds & a few more table slabs. Thanks again Randy

Tom

Use the Search on the forum and look for Sycamore.  There are a bunch of pictures here and there.  Arkansawyer started posting a lot of the pictures, so you might put his name in the search engine too.  use the advanced search.  I think the regular search window only goes back a short ways.  You can get the advanced option to go back to the beginning.

Frickman

Never say no to free logs.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Magicman

It can be some of the most beautiful wood that you can work with.  Very hard with very little shrinkage.  It must  be sanded evenly to avoid areas "catching" the stain.

I've built jewelry boxed, etc. out of it.  It's also very good for drawer sides and backs.  I would think that it would turn on a lathe very well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

footer

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2009, 09:30:49 PM
It can be some of the most beautiful wood that you can work with.  Very hard with very little shrinkage.  It must  be sanded evenly to avoid areas "catching" the stain.

I've built jewelry boxed, etc. out of it.  It's also very good for drawer sides and backs.  I would think that it would turn on a lathe very well.

Like Magicman said, I have used it for drawer sides and backs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

One of my most treasured possessions is a bowl made of sycamore that was turned for me by Electric Al and Linda's boys. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Quartersawing Sycamore is all the rage because of the unique speckledy grain, but it is beautiful when flat sawn too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fraxinus

My wife calls it "buttonwood".  Not sure if that's a local (Massivetushes) appellation for it but I suspect it was used for buttons in the old days.  Wood similar to beech and I bet it would look good quartersawn.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Hi-Country Orange

I went & looked at the pile of sycamore logs sat . there must be
50 or so, most in the 8" range, some will go 18" but for the most
part pretty straight, i'll likely start this coming week.

WDH

Keep good air flow while air drying or it might stain on you.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hi-Country Orange

WDH   the kiln i use does a good job of that, so i will likely take
any of it to be used for anything other than framing straight to him.

GF

Had a 13' sycamore log laying around about a year and a half and cut it a couple of weeks ago this was what I found inside.

SwampDonkey

Looks like spalted maple.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That is serendipity, GF  ;D.

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 01, 2009, 05:28:50 PM

So does spalted Maple look like spalted Maple.  smiley_bucktooth
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

WDH

I bet sweetgum spalts too, but I have not run across any yet.

Tom

Yepsir, Sweetgum spalts too.
Does Serendipity spalt?

WDH

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!

I just got to have some of that  8) 8) 8).

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on December 01, 2009, 06:40:13 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 01, 2009, 05:28:50 PM

So does spalted Maple look like spalted Maple.  smiley_bucktooth

Spalted birch. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

I'm trying to get 3 wild cherry logs to spalt as an experiment. So far it hasn't done much after 16 months >:(
remember man that thy are dust.

coldnorth

A few years ago I had someone here who wanted all the Sycamore I could get.  2" thick for carving.  Not sure what he was carving, but you might look into it.
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

Ironwood

Never EVER have I seen cherry spalt. Oak, maple, gum, elm, sycamore, on and on, never cherry. FYI

Nice gum Tom.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Be hard to see in cherry, like butternut or walnut.

Modat22

I think cherry must have some sort of anti-fungle property of something.
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

It's possible some extractives prevent it or mask the coloration. Don't know enough about it to say. It does rot, spalt is just a step away from rot.

Thank You Sponsors!