iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two questions......

Started by Hale87, November 23, 2009, 01:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

Purchased a 15 pack of blades from WM. They do seem to be better quality baldes than whatever the man gave me when I purchased the mill.

Here's the first question.
After a while from use, the first one (only one I've used) started turning blue from what I'm guessing is friction. When I ck the guides (blade sandwhiched between two shoes) they seem to be right. Would guide friction be the only consideration?
If I'm changing the temper of the blade, I'm guessing I'll seriously shorten the life expectancy?

Question two.

Seems like everytime I get down to the last cut on the mill, the last board is always skinny in the middle. Your ideas on what's happening?

Thanks for your help...........
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Tom

I don't remember what kind of mill you have.

Hot bands can be from too little set.  If you band is new, it probably isn't the problem
Also from running a dull band or sawing without lubricant in a dry cant.

If you have Plate guides, it could be that the band is riding on a pate all of the time.  That would do it.  You should be able to hear that though.

It could be a lack of tension and the band slipping on the band wheel too.

If you are cutting oak and using water for a lubricant, you might be seeing Iron Tannate on the band.  That is a stain, not caused from heat.

The thin board left on the bed of the mill is caused from internal stresses within the log.  You learn to read a log for stresses and turn it to relieve them.

Link1

Link2

Hale87

The mill is an older 28 inch hudson.
Yes, I was sawing white oak, and some cherry.
I've sawn a number of white oak and you can definately see the diffrence from anything else I've sawn.
The logs are free, so I'm going to keep going at the white oak.
Haven't had the pleasure of sawing anything green yet.

Side note.
Was going to get another log on my Kubota yesterday when I had a small accident. Tried to put it in 4 wheel drive while going up a steep hill. I don't no what happened but I couldn't hold it with the break. Eventually flipped it going backwards down that hill. Wouldn't be a big deal but roll bar came down on my foot when I jumped off. I can't walk and my foot's the size of a balloon, but I'm going to try and wait it out a few days. Thank God for good friends. They showed up and used a come-along to flip the thing back up. Blocked up the other side so she sit level. She started right up and they drove her home.

It will be a while until I get back to the mill.............
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Tom

You're lucky you still have a foot.  I hope you wasted no time in seeing a doctor and finding out what is broken. Letting injuries like that go unattended can cause you to lose your leg to grangrene.  I sure hope you get it attended to and that it's OK.

I guess, on the flip side, you will have a lot of time to read.  :)

beenthere

Good to hear you are ok, 'cept for the foot. Sounds like could have been worse.
Something we can all learn from, at your expense experience.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

Rubber side goes down!

Glad you're ok...hope you got that xrayed...shot myself in the wrist with a nailgun a couple weeks ago...we all do dumb things...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

paul case

hale, in the very experienced words of my dad, you wuddnt bein very careful now was you? glad your ok . hope the foot gets better quickly. my dad had a similiar injury a while back . he was helping my cousin cut floor boards  for a stock trailer and managed to drop a oak 12'  2x12 on edge on his toe. it bruised real bad and swelled up. he probably broke it but wuddnt go to the doc to have it checked out . it healed up but not until he hobbled around for a while. lucky for us he dont gripe much. hang in there!  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Don K

Glad you are ok with only a bruised foot. I bet the pucker factor hasn't eased off yet. Do you have a seat belt? You should always have it on in case of rollover and keep a tight grip on the wheel and let the rollover bar do it's job. There has been many a person killed from jumping from rolled forklifts, skidders, tractors, and such. Skidding logs is a touchy business and much caution should be used. I have done a lot of it over the years and have been very fortunate to not have had any incidents. Be safe and hope the foot gets better soon.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

Wow, Hale,  I'm glad that you are still alive !!!  You didn't say whether or not you were "buckled up".  With a ROPS, you should always buckle up to keep you in the seat so that the ROPS won't crush you.  Don't wait too long getting that foot looked at.  Good luck man.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hale87

Thanks guys.

My foot's swelled up like a balloon, but I'm going to wait a few days.
I did go to the doctor, (wifes works there so it's free) Doc, does think it's broken but I'm waiting. I hate paying med bills. We have a 5000 deductible, so I'm hesitant to go. I've broken a few bones over the years, so I have experience with this. I know it's the foot, so it's more important, but I want to see what happens first. Mom's 75 and still hunts, and I'm the babysitter, So I want to be able to go Monday on the first day of buck. I ain't lugging no cast around iffin I don't have to.

Of course this accident would be wood related. When I was 21 (i'm 47) I cut the fingers off my left hand using a radial arm saw. They were able to put one back on. I only have one knuckle working, the back one's fussed together. It's not a big deal now, I'm quite use to it. I tell people I'm one of the few that have flown in two helicopters at the same time. They flew me to Baltimore ten mintues ahead of my fingers. They had a hard time finding my fingers in that dusted up wood shop.

Thanks for your concerns guys............

beenthere

Hale87
Puzzling that the Doc wouldn't at least take an Xray.
QuoteDoc, does think it's broken

Your 75 yr old Mom needs a babysitter?   ::) ::)

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Glad to hear your okay.  Durnation, that makes me cringe to think about jumping.  Good Lord was watching out for you.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

paul case

hale,
you have been in the wrong place at the wrong time more than once . hang in there we'll pray for your soon recovery. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

captain_crunch

Luck was on your side that time but like said above DON'T bail off wear seat belt 90% of time people jump wrong way even tho it is natural instinct to do it. Surprizeingly there are not more people hurt with these 4X4 tractors getting them in places where a wheel tractor has NO buisseness. Sorry to get off topic but would rather hear from you than hear about you.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

thecfarm

Keep that DanG tractor in 4 wheel ALL the time.I have a Ford that has not been out of 4 WD for years.Don't listen to the crap about wear and tear on the drive train.Your life is worth more than $4-5000 that would take to repair the drive train.I also have a small Kubota that has not been out of 4 WD but once in 9 years since we owned it.That was when the wife grabbed the wrong level,than when down out steep hill to mow and wondered why she almost ended up in a heap.She won't do that again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

solidwoods

If you are through sawing the last bit of the cant, be sure to 180* flip it after each cut.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Jasperfield

Tractor roll-overs are almost always fatal.

If you've got ROPS, the seatbelt stays on and you ride it out.

No ROPS, the seatbelt is always off and you jump clear.

beenthere

May seem like they are almost always fatal, prolly because the fatal ones are those we hear about. Non-fatal we don't hear about.  :)

Have to say, I don't wear the seat belt and have a ROPS.
south central Wisconsin

captain_crunch

Don't have tractor with rops so tractor powers mill. Skidding is done with an old IH TD-14 with full canopy. Logged for about 30 years and if not for canopys on equipment you people would not have to put up with my banter. Roll bar is a plus but a top on it is better. Like I said before jumping is natural reflex but most of the time WRONG choice. A rolling machine don't always flop in the direction expected not to mention what else it has set in motion as in log on loader bucket or what else it may have nocked loose. Seen two fatalitys in my logging carer and that is enough to last me a lifetime so please becareful I have lost enough Friends already.
But on lighter side
Happy Thanksgiving to all
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

woodmills1

I agree about a canopy, sooner or later in the woods something is going to break loose and fall to the ground.  trees get bumped by the tractor or brushed by the fel, even driving over roots can cause problems.  I have had a top on all 4 of the machines I have used in the woods and have had my neck saved more than once
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!