iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you busy with your mill or has the economy slowed you down?

Started by DR Buck, November 22, 2009, 08:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roquevalente

yes less busy and sure since September 2011 we definitely slowed down. 

Roque Valente SRL is a ipe hardwood mill located in the Bolivian forest specialized in milling and logging - www.roquevalente.com

Cedarman

Got a call last Friday.  Outfit wants 17 more trailer loads of fencing this year if all goes well.  Told me to get it in gear and get organized because he doesn't want to run out.  That is the first 50%.  Now I have all year to do the other 50%.  But I also know how some orders can do a disappearing act.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DR Buck

Welcome to the forum 'roquevalente'.  Glad to have you aboard.   From you photo it looks like you have a little mud to deal with.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum roquevalente, this is a great place to give and receive info!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the Forestry Form REGOLVA.....no wait a minute, RUQVAENY, no wait a minute, ROQVLENT.....oh what the heck....I knew once I clicked on reply I would forget how to spell your name.

But anyway WELCOME ROQUEVALENTE TO THE FORUM!

You'll have fun on here and learn a lot and teach us some things.

Glad to meet ya! :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

My sawmilling work is stacking up.  On December 15th, I had 9 jobs.  Today, it's 17, but I don't think any of them will be over 3-4Mbf.  It does look like it's going to be a busy Spring anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is what GRITS will do to ya!

Magicman

Well then, send some quickly to isawlogs.  It will make him look better.   :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

GOOD 1 Magic!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Misfit

I came across this older post while searching for something else and was curious how everyone's Spring shaped up - better, worse, as expected?

With reading some positive economic indicators lately (along with some not-so-positive), I was hoping you guys were seeing or feeling some uptick in work as well.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Magicman

As things are going now I will easily double last year's sawing.  I have records from my past 10 years of sawing and they are all consistent.  I have previously averaged 100M bf per year.  This year is crazy.

Cedarman

I have turned more business away this year than the last 10 years combined. We have 2 extra people and I am still behind.
So far a great year.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

Last year I was able to work on my Cabin Addition for weeks at the time.  I doubt that I have spent much more than one week total on it this year.   :-\

Misfit

Wow guys; that's great to hear! (except you not being able to work on your cabin MM)  :) I'm happy for you both. I hope lots of others chime in with positive things to say too. It'd be a nice note to start the weekend on, especially a Holiday weekend.

Don't forget to thank a vet, or yourself if you're one! Who knows what kind of society we'd be living in without those who were willing to give everything to preserve freedom as we know it.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

vt k-9

Last year was very slow for me. It turned out to be a blessing as my wife was very sick and I needed to be home.   This past winter I had nothing. I am usually booked up all winter. So far this spring is very promising. I have 16 jobs waiting and I have been sawing six days a week. Sure dont have any trouble sleeping.                                                                                                                                                                                                 Will

Tom the Sawyer

The mild winter really helped out.  I am already 50% over my total for 2011.  Should easily double last year's production.  Unfortunately, many of my winter projects didn't get done, I was busy sawing. :) :)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

pnyberg

I'm trying hard to be less than full time.  I have a waiting list that would take me 4 to 6 weeks to clear if no one else were added to it, but people are being added to it at a rate that always seems to keep it about the same length.

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

Yup Peter, that dreaded list.  Counting the one that I should finish next Wednesday, I'm down to 16.  I thought that it would be 15, but another called today. 

customsawyer

I am running 7 days a week and 16-18 hour days. I am still behind at the moment. I am hoping to catch up late July and go for a long bike ride. (hoping the pig roast) and beyond. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Part_Timer

I've had the mill out for 2 weeks and have turned away 4 jobs and sent them to the neighbors.  They are so far behind they are starting to turn people away.  It's busy out there.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

paul case

I usually cut pallet lumber in my slow times.

I haven't cut a pallet board since last November.

I am trying to get some haying finished and can't seem to stay away from the mill. It seems like someone is always calling for a quote or ordering more  of a product I have cut for them before. I will stop and cut some rafter boards for my church in June to be put up in July.
It seems to be going real well as far as custom orders. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!