iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Serving Trays

Started by SwampDonkey, November 22, 2009, 04:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Anyone ever make any?

I'm just using up some shorts, ya know the ones you can fill a bin full. Right now, I glued up some walnut to some yellow birch, will be 12" wide. Going for a couple 20" long trays with cherry handles. I don't have a compound mitre saw, and I can only tilt my table saw blade and not the table. I would like to make the handled attached at 20 °. Can I cut the tray ends to 45 ° and the handles to 25 ° and biscuit the ends to get a 20 ° slant to the handles? Probably eh? Just have to be careful which face is going to be up and make the cut accordingly. These aren't going to be real fancy, I just need a little edge on them to keep the dishes from sliding off onto the floor. I'll tie the edges (front and back) into the handles to give it more stability. Fun what you can build from trash. No plans to show, just got my wheels a spinning and see what becomes of it. I'm constantly trying to come up with some kind of project to use up the scraps. ;)

I would like to burn some kind of designs on the trays and handles when I'm done sanding.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D._Frederick

If you use a mitre gage and tilt the saw blade on a table saw, you can cut any compound angle you will need.

I don't thing your handles will be very strong butting two end grains together even with using biscuit.

Don_Papenburg

Maybe a dowel would be better than a biscuit
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

What I'm thinking is putting a rail on the long sides connected to the handles as well. Also keeps the dishes from sliding off. This is just one idea. I'll probably try other ideas as well.   ;D End grain is jointed quite often on many applications and biscuits are laminated, not solid wood with one grain direction. Never hurts to try, won't cost a thing. ;)

A mitre guage on a table saw that I'm thinking of, turns on a different plane than the table saw blade or the table of a compound mitre saw would.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Finished assembling the first tray and sanded it this morning. No wood finish on it yet.

Cherry handles, walnut and yellow birch for everything else.

And a little touch of class. ;D

Tom

Very nice, swampdonkey.
How much does it weigh?  I get so used to seeing those from the dime stores that are made from pieces of 1/8"  plywood that a tray made with a real board looks huge.  It almost seems a shame to put a finish, other than wax, on it.

Have you signed it?

Fla._Deadheader

Dangit, Reina spied that photo.  :o :o >:(

Ella Quiere MEDIDA's, SD  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tom on November 28, 2009, 11:18:59 AM
How much does it weigh?

about 6 lbs

Have you signed it?

Not yet.

Still figuring on a burn pattern before any finishing.

Wax might be a little slick to handle. ;D

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 28, 2009, 12:17:38 PM
  Ella Quiere MEDIDA's, SD  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

What!? ;) :D

Fla._Deadheader

Reina wants measurements  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Outside dimensions are 21" x 13", 3-1/2" to top of handles, handles are 3-7/8" cutout, 3/4" stock all the way around.

Fla._Deadheader

Muchas Gracias, Senor.  8) 8) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

metalspinner

Very nice, SD!

But it's just the beginning of a very long winter.  Whatever are you going to do to pass the rest of the time?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

OH-h-hh-hh!  I understand now.  It's going to be winter up there.  I had completly forgotten y'alls cabin fever season.  :D

SwampDonkey

Never a dull moment around the shop.  ;D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looking good SD  Top Job Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) Its amazing what you can make outa scrap  ;) but then again the chinese are pretty good at it we use to send 2 continers of scrap to them every week at the H/wood mill i use to work at  ;) :D

whats that FDH the missus wants one now  ;) :D :D you might haveta go out and get one of those screen covers so only you can see it mate  ;) :D :D as i reckon we'll be seen more of SD's Cabin Fever scrapwood projects

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Fla._Deadheader

G'day, Chris
The Mrs. has taken over the table with Craft Projects, so, I get to eat at the Computer or on the couch.  Doesn't matter to me, but, she wants a serving tray, and happened to be walking by, when I was reading SD's post.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Well, don't get the idea that she's wanting to serve you on a tray because she feels sorry for you having to eat at the computer or couch.  She's going to put that on the craft table too.  It's going to be your new job to make them for her to sell.   You might even lose the couch.  :D :D :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Got the first one ready for Varnish, and, she already has 5 sold ???  ::) ::) ::) ??? ??? ??? :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

FD,

You are going to have to get SD to send you some scraps  :D.

SD, that is quite the handsome tray!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

I really need a wood worker  ::) ::)  I'm so far behind, I quit looking for the Sunrise  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Meadows Miller

Too much to do and too little time i know the story Mate  ;) :D :D :D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SwampDonkey

He's got all the time in the world.  :D

SwampDonkey

A couple perspectives of a wood burning I drew tonight. Purple trilium in the tray and a rose border on the rails. The trilium was a photo I took and converted to line art in Photoshop using layers, color dodge, image saturation, image reverse and minimum filter. I have a tutorial I scrounged off the web that I saved in Word for reference. (In case I forget how :D )

WDH

Very nice.  Now if you could just tattoo the colors in :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!