iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Appendicidits, NASTY (no pics, no odors)

Started by Ironwood, November 20, 2009, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Got sick last Friday, thought it was bad food poisoning (w/ a pulled stomach muscle). Worked for a day and a half w/ an out of town customer filling an order. By time he left I was on the ground  "supervising" his loading efforts. It was grizzly, one minute working, next SERIOUS heaving.  Saturday night wife said "hospital if not better by morning".

Well, SERIOUS Appendicitis. Only one operating room at the local hospital is open on weekend. Well, finally got in a 3 AM ::). WOW, I was wrenching around and many hits of morphine didnt do much. I was "a little out of character" w/ the nurses poo pooing me while waiting. They really had to open me up to get it cleaned out. Finally home, loads of discomfort, and a real learning experience. Surgical wing for recovery was crowded, spent some "quality" time w/ dimensia/cancer folks. Room was SMALL, too small. Finally move him out (my infection prompted that) and that helped my recovery emmensely. We dont have any family local, so Scouting  parents helped ALOT. Had not seen my boys in almost a week (makes me cry thinking of it)

Home, finding my way, greatful for a strong competent wife. AMEN

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DanG

DanG Reid!  That's some SERIOUS stuff! :o  A whole bunch of people have died from a ruptured appendix.  It don't pay to wait around.  Glad to hear you're on the mend.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

That is scary stuff. :(
I hope your back to feeling 100% soon.

Tom

I've been that route myself and you've been through the mill.  Take  it easy and relax for awhile.  You know, folks died from that stuff less than a generation ago.  Be on the lookout for infection that might have escaped.  Don't get too far away from the doctor till he says it's OK.

sprucebunny

Hope you feel better soon. Don't push the recovery !!

I got appendicitis driving across the country when I was 17. The people I was with dropped me at the first hospital they could find in Denver. They waited for me...it was my car  :D and we went on to California but I sure didn't want to do anything too strenuous for a while !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ironwood

Thanks for the kind words, Yeah it is scary to think I would not have survived natural selection if it were 100 years ago. That is a humbling thought. I was on a SERIOUSLY strong antibiotic, and will continue to be so for another week and a half.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Warbird

Hilltop366

Hay did you get any new and wild ideas will under the influence of those pain killers?

Glad to hear your on the mend, take care and take it easy until you are really better!

nas

Glad to hear you are on the mend 8)
Don't try to make it too fast :o

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

scsmith42

Wow...

Reid, I'm glad to learn that you survived it, and hope that you recover completely and quickly.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

I would like to mention the "self advocacy" approach one needs to take while in the hospital. Many well intentioned folks caring for you can be a little less than focused during the busy times in a multi day recovery.  I found most of my nursing to be technically OK, but in at least one instance I reported a "new hire" as, in the "wrong line of work". I got VERY upset with her as contemplating the treatment she gave me perpetrated against an eldery patient or someone less "aware". I dont know what will happen, but she clearly was not there for the right reason.

Whether, yourself, loved one or what have you, you REALLY need to be paying atttention and asking questions. Even little things can effect a stay by days and days.  The one nurse left from shift w/ out hooking up my cath to the vaccum, and nasal canela to my face. Once the vaccum hose was knocked off due to the small room (hit w/ a neighbors bed while moving hiim). In any instance, these things could create a situation hampering recovery, creating nasea/ vomiting. I was really paying attention, most of the elderly cant/ dont. The nursing staff was/ is well intentioned, but we all have limitations.

I thought it worth mentioning, as my wife and I "go into mode" of SELF ADVOCACY when any of us is "doctored" by anyone.

Ironwood

fstedy

Reid
Hope you are feeling better. Take it easy and mend well.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Cedarman

Get well Reid.  Wow, too close.  You are so right on being on top of things.  Very easy to just think that the hospital folks will do everything just right. 
Take it easy for a while.  Lots of good reading on the forum for you to catch up on.
Did mine in 65. Senior in HS.  I found the get well card from my economics class the other day.  It brought back a lot of interesting memories.
Your episode did too.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Captain

Roxie

I'm so glad you are mending.  Stay down and listen when people tell you that it takes two months for each hour of surgery to fully recover. 

Now, I just gotta say, "Your poor wife."!!!  She's been through the wringer in a whole different kind of way.  I'll say a few prayers for her too.   :)
Say when

WDH

Reid,

Sorry to hear that you are just a little bit lighter now.  Hang in there and behave while allowing recovery.  Those curly maple logs can wait just a bit  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Ironwood, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.  I lost a good friend that waited too long.  Glad that you didn't.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Been there, done that, never want to do it again. Come to think of it, guess I won't have to ;).

Get well, Reid.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

pep

Hey Reid

Hope you have a full recovery.  Been battling H1N1 for the last week and a half.   It's been running the gamut through the schools.  Didn't get the shot, but everyone in the house has. 

Take it easy for a couple weeks.

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Ironwood

Hey there PEP!

You get well! WOW. We (everyone but me) just got the shot for H1N1 yesterday. I spent most of today outside tidying up as the snow is coming. Check out my Gallery for latest toys, huh tools!

Reid

pep

hey Reid

I really like your all terrain crane, sure looks like it'll save the old back alot of aches and pains.

What do you mean snow's on the way, I thought you lived in the banana belt.  We had 8" snow about 3 weeks ago, it melted within 2 days.  Haven't had any since then, its been an above normal November, but that should change very soon.   Wish we wouldn't get snow till Christmas, but that's wishful thinking.
Finally got a roof over the mill, only took 5 years.  I bought a Clearspan building from Tek supply last year, but winter came too early.  Just got it up in the last couple of months.  They say you can put it up in a couple of days :-\ , ya with a crew of 10.
Had the frame up, but had to wait for a calm day to pull the tarp up.  Hope to be sawing in a few days if I can get over this flu.

pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Ironwood

PEP,
Glad to see your well.

We got the bill,.................$29,000 and change. After med coverage, we owe,.........$100. My wife brings med. coverage, thank goodness it is GOOD coverage. Went to ER Sunay morn, out Friday afternoon.

Still somewhat getting used to the "new" things. Sense of taste seems sharper, stomach sometimes still aches. This surgery stuff is NO fun.

Ironwood

Fla._Deadheader

Good to see you getting out and about, Reid.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!