iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 hard starter

Started by welderskelter, November 20, 2009, 12:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

My 066 has had a muffler mod and it has always been a hard starter.(5 pulls then fire, 5 more then start wide open). Can a person put a primer button on so it will start on first pull? Just curious. Thanks Harold

Al_Smith

Noooo . Playing with the muffler has little to do with weather the  thing starts . A screwed up carb has everything to do with how it starts .

If you have to full throttle that contraption to get it to go ,the carb is flooding . Rebuild the thing .

joe_indi

5 pulls + 5pulls....that's 10 pulls.
That is 5 pulls too many. Not the greatest thing for starter life.
Check the pickup body and L screw setting.

Try drawing out the starter rope slowly, with the choke on 3 times.Twice more with off choke.
One smart pull and it should start.
Saves a lot of starter life and better for the elbow.

Joe

GASoline71

Floodin' the saw... click the choke off after the first burble.

A primer bulb on a Stihl chainsaw would be a blasphemy...   :D

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

edwardj_

How old is the saw and have you ever had it rebuilt?  My guess is that there are limiter caps on the carb.  If there are be carefull if you try and adjust them.  if you lose the cap and there isnt a spring holding it in place it will self adjust.  you also need a tach to properly adjust it.  you can also check the "float" height on it.  If it is doing its first burp after 5 pulls that is not unusual...  but 5 after that is odd.  you also should not need to have it WOT but should start properly on the fast idle setting.

rebocardo

FWIW: My 066 was one of my easiest starting saw, maybe three pulls.

Al_Smith

Oh the danged things seem to have a personality . I've got a few that will fire on 5 or less after sitting 6 months and others that need a prime if the sit over a few days .

Thank You Sponsors!