iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Clear this Up??

Started by Typhoon, September 22, 2003, 06:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok I am a bit confused.. so maybe someone could help clear this up.
It is about saw chain size. I just recently ordered a chain for my saw, and it didnt fit. I still don't understand why. I have a Husky 350 with an 18" bar. My chain size is .325, 050, 72 drivelinks. Ok so I ordered an Oregon 33LG. If im not mistaken, this chain is .325, 050, 72 drivelinks.  Now im sure about the drivelinks, because I counted them. But the chain did NOT work on my saw. It just kept binding. Does anyone out there have a husky manual who can decipher it and describe to me why the 33LG chain did not work? Also, what does "33LG" mean? Because there are all kinds of numbers.. like 33SL, 34LG, 34SL, etc etc. I though all chain was the same as long as the 3 major numbers were right. Thanks!!
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Kevin

33 stands for .050" bar groove thickness.
LG is round ground chisel design, ramped depth gauge and standard sequence.
Three things need to match , the drive sprocket pitch, the bar sprocket pitch , chain pitch and the groove of the bar must match the thickness of the chain driver.
The chain drivers must also match the bar length.

What model is your bar?

woodbeard

33LG and such are Oregon's model numbers. Yours should have "33" stamped somewhere on the chain. Check it to make sure they sent you the right stuff.

Kevin

If that's a micro-lite pro bar then you need a 95VP chain...
or
you can get a new bar to match your new chain.  ;D

Typhoon

I don't know what kind of bar it is really. It just says Husqvarna on it. And it is 18".

Kevin

What chain works on that bar now?
How does the height of the cutters compare between the two chains, does your original chain have smaller cutters than the new LG chain?

Typhoon

The chain that came on the saw. It is a Husqvarna chain. But I still don't know what the number is on it. The manual has a chart with the different size chain/bar combos but it is chinese to me. I love everything about this saw and the manual except this one chart. It is rediculous. I cannot understand it for the life of me! I have studied it for like an hour and still don't get it. The chain just says "Husqv" on it.
There is a picture of the saw and bar on the Husqvarna site. That is the bar I have.

Typhoon

I will check to see if the size of the cutters is different. Should that make a difference?

Typhoon

Maybe this will help. On the Oregon site, it says the chain that fits my saw would be the 33,34, or 35SL superguard.
I got the 33LG supergard. Would these chains be the same?

Kevin

You may have a narrow - kerf bar which uses a special chain, if so the cutting teeth will be smaller.
A standard chain such as the LG will not fit this type of bar.

Kevin

Don't forget your dealer should have a cross reference to any numbers you can get from your bar.
He can tell you what chain fits the bar with the manufacturers number.
I don't have access to Husqvarna part numbers.

David_c

hey kevin i have the 350 with the 18" bar i got 2 extra chains when i bought it this is what he gave me stihl 23rs 72e if this helps.

Kevin

The SL series have the bumper tie strap ...you don't want that.
It's the same size as the LG anyway.

David, depends what bar he has.

David_c

why dont i want the bumber tie strap whats it do

Kevin

I don't like them because they can be more difficult (or impossible) to sharpen using the filing guides.

David_c

allright thanks i was thinking of getting oregon chans anyway now i know i will.

Kevin

That's a liability safety anti kickback gizmo that most saws are sold with.
Oregon has them also, all depends on the style or series of chain you buy.

Kevin

Typhoon;
I'm not sure if we covered this before but does that bar have any numbers on it anywhere?

David_c

thats what i thought when i opened them i havent used them yet.

Typhoon

Ok I may be getting somewhere here. On the bar of the chainsaw, it has a little symbol. It is the symbol for "narrow kerf". The chain that came on my saw has holes in every other drive link also. I looked at the chains very closely and compared them. It looks as though the Oregon chain that didnt work is slightly thicker at the part that fits in the bar. However, I could have swore somewhere I read that you could use a larger chain in the narrow kerf bars, but not the other way around. When I put the oregon chain on the saw, it turns just as freely as can be. But when I started it up that day, it kept binding. I guess I could try it again tomorrow??

Kevin

I wouldn't use that new chain until you determine what bar you have.
95vp narrow kerf chain has holes in every other drive link.
Is there a 95 on any of the drive links?
Does it have bumper drive links?

Quoteit has a little symbol. It is the symbol for "narrow kerf"
This pretty much tells the tale.

ohsoloco

Kevin, do you have a link to a good site that explains all the different types of chains?  I was just looking at the numbers on my new boxes of chains, and have no idea what any of it means   :-/

David_c

David_c

ohsoloco

Thanks, David...the first link didn't work, but the second one hooked me up  ;)   Now, another question...how crucial is the filing angle?   I've been told by an arborist friend that I should keep the angle of my file at zero degrees (if you're staring down the nose of the bar)....in other words, keep it level as you're filing.  According to what I've now been reading, I should be filing at 10 degrees....I'll set my file guide to ten in the future.  Have I done much "damage" to the chain, or compromised the cutting performance much  ???

Thank You Sponsors!