iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ever build a sail boat???

Started by smwwoody, September 22, 2003, 05:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Has anyone out there ever built a sail boat?

???
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

shopteacher

Where's  biziedizie?  He's a boat builder.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

biziedizie

Smwwoody sailboat #2 just about done, did ya see the pic??? Kinda bad pic but it will be out of the shop and on the trailer soon and then I can get good pics 8) After a year of tests then that boat will turn into my bigazz boat that I will do some major sailing with 8)
  Anywaysssss what was the question??? You gonna build one??? 8)

Steve

smwwoody

thinking of starting one in the spring trying to gather all the info I can over the winter

how big is the one you are working on

I didn't get to see the pic
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

biziedizie

Sorry I had to run to the shop and get specs.
 The one that we have on the go is just a small proto-type for the bigger one.

LOD 16'
  LOA 19'
  Beam 6'
  Draft 3'
  1' rudder up
  Sail area 90 sqft, 32 sqft jibb.
  Weight 550lbs
    This boat came from plans online and I think it costed about 90 U.S to buy them, the guys that sold us the plans have been great and the calls have been fun 8)
  I will send you a few pics.

Steve

biziedizie

Your e-mail is hidden, can ya pm it to me :)

Steve

smwwoody

ok now what kinds of wood did ya use
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

biziedizie

The wood was fir for the main frame and the ply was marine grade. All the little things that make a sailboat look cool are made out of oak. The mast is clear yellow cedar and it came off the mill.  Lots of fun building this boat :)

Steve

SawInIt CA

Just a kayak for me but I would love to build a sailboat someday.

smwwoody

ok steve where do i go for plans

who can i talk to about what works and what doesnt

I need a forum just like this for boat building

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

biziedizie

What size boat are we talking about??? You mentioned in a pm that you were thinking about a 40' to 50' :P There are plans all over the net, and some are free  8)
  Are you thinking wooden, fi-b-glass, concrete??? Standard rigged, gaff rigged???
  Don't know much about forums but I'm sure there are some out there.
  What type of sailing do you plan on doing???

Steve

smwwoody

Well ok

My wife talked me into this she is from a sailing family.  I have never been on a sail boat But it is something I always wanted to do.  as far as the boat goes  wood all the way.  the rest of it will be a big learning project.

HELP
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

biziedizie

What SIZE boat are you thinking about??? What kinda sailing are you gonna do???

Steve

OneWithWood

Hi Sm,
I built a 16' gaff rigged sailboat some years back.  It was built using a plywood/fiberglass sandwich with oak and fir trim.  The keel was fir.  
I would suggest you and your wife take a cruise on a sailboat, or better yet, enroll in a sailing school if you intend to do any blue water sailing.  I see you are in norther PA.  Are wee talking about fresh water sailing?
I can tell you this about wooden boats - you will spend far more time maintaining it that sailing it, especially if sailing on freshwater.  A fiberglass sandwich with minimal exposed wood will cut down on the maintenance.
I sail an '82 Catalina 27 now.  I have grown to appreciate plastic boats.  I do spend a couple of days a year maintaining the teak trim.
Gotta go, wife says dinner is on the table. Like Biz said tell us about the size and type of boat you are contemplating.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

smwwoody

Well she is set on at least a 40 footer  :o  I wanted to start small but she says this is what we need and we need it finished some time before june of 2006.  big family reuinon on some island around puerto rico ? ??? ???  
she made this trip 2 times with her parents and sisters. when she was a teen.  now she is the only sister without a boat.  and they all want to do it one more time  with mom and dad  before they get too old to enjoy it
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

OneWithWood

Research, research and more research!  :P  :P  :P  :P

A 40 footer is a very large task and not one I would recomend to a novice.  If you do decide to build a wooden 40 footer do yourself a favor and go visit some master boat builders still building with wood.  There are still some out there.  By all means purchase a good set of plans from a reputable marine architect.

Definately take a carribean cruise on a chartered 40 footer to get some firsthand knowledge of such a craft.  If your wife is an experienced sailor you should have no trouble chartering a boat.

Good luck and keep us posted.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

A 40 footer, by yerself, by 2006 ??? ??? ??? ???
  Either yer a glutton for punishment, or your a great big star in yer bride's eye. I have built several smaller wooden boats, NOT sail, ::), and I'm not sure I would attempt that  ???
  I have built 30 and 40 foot Fiberglass Race Boats, and THAT is no small task. How big is yer Bandsaw, not the sawmill? That will be yer #1 tool.
  I just located a Builder here that rebuilds the 30's and 40's Chris Craft inboard runabouts. He will take all the straight grain Bald Cypress we can get. That or White Cedar is an excellent hull planking. The big boats would use Mahogany, I believe. Oak stem, keel and ribs, usually.
  This would be an interesting project if you can pull it off.
  Ya MAY hafta have an FF gathering to get LOTS of help, hint, hint ::) ::) :D :D :D
  Good luck. Keep us posted.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

raycon

In the back of wooden boat magazine they have a section for used wooden boats. Some can be had for free -- or next to nothing. Someone else's restoration project might be a good starting point or a source of hardware - sails -motors etc...
Lot of stuff..

smwwoody

HI all

well we are planning on some sailing with her family this winter.

I will check out that wooden boat mag.  sounds like a real big help.

Deadheader
you forget my band mill runs a vertical band and I can lift off the carrage and replace it with a saw table so now I have a realy big band saw I'm hoping this will cover my needs for a band saw.

now to find a few boat builders that still work in wood
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

Yep. I forgot about the vertical saw. NEAT' 8) 8)O
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

I once took an interest in boat building...that's all it ever was, just an interest. :-/  I studied a book by Chappel(sp), I think his first name was Howard. It was a wonderful book, and I learned a lot from it, particularly about the grain of the wood, and how that grain should be oriented for different purposes. There was also a great deal of instruction on lofting, and the importance of it.
The book was well written, and not at all dry. One of the things I remember with fondness is the frequent mention of "the moaning chair."  It is the first thing to be built, and, according to the author, will be worn away to nothing by the time the boat is launched.
I encourage you to find as many of his books as you can and study them. You will be roundly entertained, but probably discouraged from taking on such a large project on your first go.
Your best bet might be to saw up a DanG big WHACK of lumber, sell it, and buy yourself a boat for the trip. :)  Good luck, in whatever you decide.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!