iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl toy chainsaw

Started by Flatheadyoungin, November 18, 2009, 10:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatheadyoungin

I've called two of the three local Stihl dealers (seems like we have a Stihl dealer on every corner, now :)

None of my local dealers have one.  I'd like to buy my son one of them for Christmas.  However, the ones one ebay are fetching around $60 after shipping.  How much are they normally?  I don't want to spend that much on a toy- heck, I'm only asking $100 for a great shape litttle Husky.  I could just take the chain off of it and let him play with that!

I would settle for a "other" brand or even a cheap one if it had good sounds and was realistic.

Any ideas?

beenthere

Flathead
Can't the dealers order one for you? 

What prices do they quote for one that is ordered?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Red 93 L1 #3383

The one that Roxie linked to can be found at Wal-Mart for a few bucks less.  You can also listen to it & see it up close and personal.  I've thought about getting it for my 2 year old but mom has already bought too much stuff for Christmas.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Rocky_J

I know Roxie means well but IMO a Black and Decker toy chainsaw would be an insult to any child, as well as insulting to the parents of said child unless they actually were drawing a paycheck directly from Black and Decker. Might as well buy the poor kid a toy Yugo car.  yikes_smiley

MartyParsons

Our distrubitor for STIHL said they are not available.
We sold our last one last week.
Marty
We are going to a STIHL dealer Saturday I will see if they have any. They have a different distrubitor for STIHL.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bro. Noble

Our 2 1/2 year old grandson is spending a few days with us while his folks are off getting him a new little brother.  He packed up all his belongings he couldn't do without and among them is his Black and Decker chainsaw.  He's a lot more proud of it than I am of the last three stihl saws that we've bought.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Rocky_J

How did I just know that was coming?  ;D

metalspinner

Years ago when we had our first child, my sister bought him the most annoying present.  It was this electric guitar thing that had the most annoying sounds on it.  And wouldn't you know it it became his favorate toy.  I vowed to get back at her.

A few years later, she gave birth to my first nephew.  On his third birthday, I gave him that Stihl chainsaw you're talking about. smiley_devilish  Everytime, I'm over he is running around the house with it driving his momma nuts. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawguy21

Hehehehe. When I worked at a Stihl dealership, the parts girl bought two of them for her urban terrorists. She was really regretting that by the 27th. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

I'm not brand loyal when it comes to toys.  I do put some stock in the reviews of other parents.  This coming Saturday, my grandson will be six, and he asked for a leaf blower.  His Black & Decker chain saw is 3 years old and still runs like it was new.  (He helps Granpa cut firewood).   :)

Say when

Reddog

Well I was brand loyal as a kid. ;D

My parents bought me a toy chain saw for Christmas, when I opened it my dad said I just stood there looking at it.
He asked what was wrong, and I told him I didn't want a Homelite their where no good. I wanted a Jonsered they where a good saw. ;D
He got a good laugh out of that. I don't remember it, being three or so it wasn't one of those things that stuck in my mind. :)

Flatheadyoungin

Yeah, of course I'd rather have the Stihl.....they look real.

I've found, it looks like, there are two different versions.  the latest one looks much more realistic than the older one.

I've called 3 dealers, locally.  One I worked for one spring season to bail them out.   The other has a head mechanic that I worked with while in high school and college at a True Value store that sold Troybilt, Lawnboy extc.  None of them could get them or had them.  They didn't even know the price....."I remember they were pretty expensive...." is all they would say.

I'll see what I can find......

joe_indi

This one wins the prize for having the best 'nuisance : size' ratio

This shouldn't cost much a couple of $$ at the most because we used to get these as a gift from the distributor.

Gifting yourself with a pair of ear plugs might be a good idea, in case you buy one of these saws.
Joe

paulpieter

I bought one (Stihl), for my grandson about 3 years ago and I paid around $25 Canadian for it, maybe $20 us at the time. The chain was like that of a beaded keychain. I presume that is the same as what you were looking for.
Do the right thing and make things happen.

Ironwood

I bought one years ago. I chiseled my dealer a bit on it (dont normally do that, but what the heck). ALL the boys love it 7-3-2. Just hide the bar tool and extra chain, as once they find out it comes apart, well, we all know what happens ;D

We also "got" a Home Depot multi set w/ leaf blower, and weedwacker. All get alot of attention.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Flatheadyoungin

i think that is the older one, i'm pretty sure the newer one has a rubber looking chain......not that that is the most important thing....i'm pretty sure the newer one looks very real.....

authentic sound is what i'd like....

i looked at one at toy r us last night and it was just annoying......sound wasn't very clear......i think it was the HD version

Quote from: Woodlot_Manager on November 21, 2009, 06:39:22 PM
I bought one (Stihl), for my grandson about 3 years ago and I paid around $25 Canadian for it, maybe $20 us at the time. The chain was like that of a beaded keychain. I presume that is the same as what you were looking for.

nhlogga

Quote from: Flatheadyoungin on November 18, 2009, 10:53:52 AM
I've called two of the three local Stihl dealers (seems like we have a Stihl dealer on every corner, now :)

None of my local dealers have one.  I'd like to buy my son one of them for Christmas.  However, the ones one ebay are fetching around $60 after shipping.  How much are they normally?  I don't want to spend that much on a toy- heck, I'm only asking $100 for a great shape litttle Husky.  I could just take the chain off of it and let him play with that!

I would settle for a "other" brand or even a cheap one if it had good sounds and was realistic.

Any ideas?

Try Sears or Kmart. I also couldn't find a toy Stihl for my nephews. I found toy Craftsman chainsaws at sears for about $15 each. They sound good and work good and are realistic sounding.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

nas

Bailey's used to have one. I bought one for my kids, and my wife never stops thanking me.  She might sell(give) it to you. :D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Ron Scott

Dealer here said that Stihl doesn't have the toy saw anymore, but Husky does. They had 3 of them on the counter and said that they are a popular seller at $29.95. They have a rubber chain.
~Ron

Cut4fun

Meadows Miller

Gday

Cut4fun I like the look of that husky  ;) When I was a kid  :) :D :D we had to get by making them up outa coat hangers and made our own bloody noises  :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

From the posts it still looks like most kids just wanna be like Dad  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!