iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 19 info

Started by Frank H., November 16, 2009, 08:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank H.

Hi Everyone!

Frank H. here.  I'm new to the Forestry Forum, and I'd like to say hi to all.  I'm a forest management major at keystone, and work primarily for myself, doing everything from welding to excavating, but my true love has always been in the woods.  Of course, lately that wouldn't pay my mortgage or feed my kids.  In hopes of the market someday recovering, I just bought an S-7 IH skidder.  I used to have a c-4 treefarmer, but sold it when a full time logger friend's machine got vandalized badly.  Since then, I've been skidding with a tractor, and a tractor or dozer is not a skidder. Anyhow, I need some info on a gearmatic 19 winch on my skidder, like a service  and parts manual.   Or another winch, or direction to look for one.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks a lot.
Frank.

Tom

Welcome to the ForestryForum, Frank H.

C5C Tree Farmer

Hi Frank
What problems are you having with the winch?

When I first acquired my C-5 the winch had almost every ailment imaginable...mainline hard (well almost impossible) to pull out...brake would not hold...incredible force needed on the winch control lever to get the winch to pull even a small skid of wood together.
After a lengthy period of frustration and meditation I finally got the winch to work properly. I'd be willing to share what I learned in order for you to shorten up the learning curve on yours.
Good luck on getting your Paylogger functioning again.

Frank H.

Hey C-5C,
The biggest ailment it has is that it was previously taken apart and things seem to be missing. (I knew that when buying the machine, the owner was honest...he said to get a new winch.)  I really need a manual for it, but I don't know where to find one. If I even had just an exploded parts breakdown, I'd be set.  I just need to know what I'm looking for, 'cause you can't tell the parts guy "I need the little locking thingy that hooks to the doo dad in the corner."  Or, on the other hand, who seems to be good to deal with for a whole winch?  I live in PA, but am in upstate NY a lot, especially when it snows.  As for the way I remember my C4 winch working, if I kept it tarped over the weekend, when not in use, the winch always worked pretty good.  If I was lazy and didn't, then I had to suffer with hard pulls to get the cable out the first few times.  Thanks for the help.

Frank

C5C Tree Farmer

Frank
Too bad your winch got disemboweled by a previous owner. I also remember the winch mounting arrangement on the Payloogger was not as repair friendly as the Tree Farmer arrangement.
Here is a link to a online manual for a Gearmatic 19 winch. Hope you find it useful. http://www.partsfinder.ca/Winchs/partsbook.html

Frank H.

Hey there C-5

That info you got me for the winch is great.  Thanks for the link.  I may not need as much as I thought. 

Frank ;D

Ed_K

Hi Frank,
pm me,I have a maintanance manual. If you have the option to get another winch,it might be cheaper. Rebuild is $3500. or more if your missing parts.
The original plumbing to get fluid to the clutch is what bugged me the most. It was fixed by using a live swivel and reworking the protective cover.
Ed K

mad murdock

http://www.paccarwinch.com/pdf/j358j.pdf
this is the link to the factory manual.  I wish they would post the manual for the gearmatic 8.  Oh well, can't have everything i guess.  the Gearmatic is a tough winch. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!