iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stuck Valve

Started by D._Frederick, November 16, 2009, 02:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

My Farmall M has a valve stuck open, any  easy way to get it to work? Tractor has not been run for a number of years.

beenthere

Rust reaper if you can get to it.  ;D

Is there a way to push it down, to get it to budge/move (short of removing the head)?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

Pop the rocker cover and squirt some penetrating oil on the stem , do it a few days then tap the stem top with a hammer . 
the spring should start returning it . If not pop the spring and give it a light twist with a vice grip being carful not to damage the stem . None of that works tear it down and do a complete valve job.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

D._Frederick

I haven't tried it yet, but have been thinking about getting some 1/4 or 5/16 inch diameter rope and feeding it through the sparkplug hole and filling up the cylinder, then turn the crank shaft and apply pressure to the valve.

I am concerned about bending the valve stem, any thoughts about trying this?

Fla._Deadheader

Yes. Don't do it.

Can't remember, is this a flat head engine or overhead valve engine ???

Simplest is get the valve cover off, either type, and put the penetrating oil to it. It.s probably the exhaust valve, because the heat helps create rust after shutting down.

Use Rust Reaper, or PCBlaster.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

mrcaptainbob

A 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. A teaspoon of each, stirred (not shaken), dribble it on that valve stem, wait overnight. Try moving the valve the next day. Should be free....

Woodchuck53

Remove the plate behind the carburator and try to twist the lifter a little. This might relieve the tension on the valve. On the old H that I have I was able to loosen them up that way with a little penetrating oil. Hope this helps. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!