iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

recycling some cans

Started by Stephen Alford, November 15, 2009, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

Hey all, a friend and I were working on a salvage job and ended up building a shop. The cans are 8'x8'x40', door 12'x14', bay 30'x40'.

logon

jim king

You should have plenty of room to hang your wrenches.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Stephen Alford

Hey sprucebunny and Jim, just wanted to say how much  I have enjoyed your posts. The containers will be used for storage of stuff that is usually under snow, and will be somewhat more secure. Hot slag and sneakers makes for fancy dancin. The primary goal is to get out of the weather and have an over head lift system capable of going front to back and side to side. :)

logon

fishpharmer

I really like that structure.  Now I am wondering if you will cut entrances into the cans on the inside of the main structure?  Or will access be limited to the original doors? 

Seems like you have alot of options with so much space. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

moonhill

Cool idea.  To further extend it and if the terrain lent to it the top can could be turned to the back where a ramp lead up to it for easy access, like a bank barn.  Something to think on, what is the cost of the containers?  The foundation acts as a storage container.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Tom

That same type of structure is built down here using old railroad boxcars.   I've never seen them stacked, but, side by side, they make a mighty sturdy and immoveable building.  Boxcars are just put onto the ground, I think the weight would crush block foundations.

tughill

I almost bought a piece of land a few years ago that had a similar shop on it, although the conex's were not stacked two high.  The old timer who built it did road construction, and set some large used bridge beams crosswise on top of the conexs.  Beams were probably 48" deep I beams and were about 60' long, was a quite large shop space with no posts inside, and he put trusses the other way across the beams.  Made a really nice shop...I really regret not buying it...It was sold and was converted into a house of all things, I think by some artsy type people.

Great job Stephen, are you planning on heating the space?  The shop I looked at was heated, although I forget how the insulation was done.  The builder had cut doors in the sides of the conexs for interior access to them, which worked out well.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

Stephen Alford

Hey, plan to put a catwalk at the back, stuff can be moved to it then placed in the upper cans. Took us,2 guys 5 days, , one day for the site work, one  for back wall ,one for rafters and one for the front wall , and the last for strapping but still have metal for roof and walls. They can run from one to two thousand depending on there shape.  Numbers are always open for discussion. What we require most is shelter from the wind. More could be added easy enough. They were welded together and as well an Ibeam underneath. They will be the ground when welding.  :)

logon

Ironwood

Grreat stuff man. I almost did something like that w/ a tent arch roof awhile back.

Again, great, Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Stephen Alford

Hey, just a picture update. Moved inside to change the bushings in the log loader. Nice to hear the rain and snow on the roof instead of your head.  :)

logon

smwwoody

I am working on plans for a garage like this now.  i see yours is around 3 years old now.  do you have any dos or donts for me
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Stephen Alford

Funny how stuff evolves. We went to town to tidy up a place and ended up with a shop.  My friend decided to start his own repair shop . I need a place to work on stuff and there it is. Joe bought the acre next to the woodyard the shop is on  and now has a full time business.  I supply the wood to heat the shop and use it when needed.  So with a deeded piece of land arranging the financing for siding, concrete , rafters is possible. Putting a complete plan together is the best first step.  Happy to help in any way I can, just not sure were to start. do you have any specific questions? This is a little more recent pic.  :)

logon

thecfarm

I almost missed the "cans". That looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

smwwoody

did you insulate it If so how?  What are the cans sitting on
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Stephen Alford

That log truck you have will be just the ticket for this kind of project.  For the structure to be sound and be an asset with resale value  years from now pretty good quality cans should be used. Security favored cans as well as reduced fire risk from, grinders torches welders, plasma cutters etc.
Placed and compacted 2 ft of shale out past the building size by about 3 ft.
Orientated the structure on true south for light and heat through the transparent sheets. These cannot be seen from the front,making the building look much more secure.
Used the best 4 pieces of ibeam for the overhead gantry system which rests on the cans and was a priority.For a base  welded some 2x2 plates to the bottom of the ibeams which run side to side at front and back on the ground  which the cans set on.
Welded the cans to the ibeams which then became the forms for the concrete floor. Laid down insulation,rebar wiring, airhose,and  lines for infloor heating etc before the concrete. The source for the insulation was rigid squares cut out  of  products produced by an over head door manufacturer. The squares are pieces of rigid 2" that were cut out of the doors, I am guessing for windows. An important criteria was to put new siding facing the neighbors so those two sides have new siding. The other sides are metal removed from barns that were taken down. Condensation is a problem before heating and air circulation.
  Cans get a bit of a by on permits as they are considered mobile. Because winter was moving in on us we went ahead  without paperwork. The day the guy finally showed up to issue the permit he called and asked " Will the building be going somewhere near this big red structure? "  I said "pretty close".  He said "no problem, I will leave the building permit in the door."   ;D  It is still a work in progress , however as soon as the shell was up we were able to repair gear, and do custom work for others enabling us to make a living. Not sure how helpful these posts are but as Mr. Murdock says FWIW   :)
logon

Stephen Alford

The front and back walls were 16' rough lumber and insulated with pink bat. The sides to the east and west are yet to be done . The roof was plastic and blown in insulation.  I can't say enough about how great it is to have an overhead crane system. Wiring to the shop is underground. The focus now is tools and income .

logon

doctorb

I've got to say that's pretty cool!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Autocar

I agree what a great idea plus a great looking building very good read  ;).
Bill

sawguy21

What a great idea, huge amount of storage space. The cans are cheap, the big cost is getting them trucked in and unloaded. I notice the one over the man door has been closed off, is it accessible from inside?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen Alford

Yes doors have been cut on the inside. There is a wide catwalk joining the two top containers, with stairs up one side. The catwalk has a removable railing so it can be used as a working platform on taller projects.  The 6 ft lights are attached to the wall by a bolt on one end and suspended by cable on the other. This allows them to be swung left or right 180 degrees depending where you need the light. The drain in the center of the floor should have been put to the rear of the building as it is a bit of a pain.  The infloor water storage is a recycled fuel drum.  One container will be used as a mini machine shop.   

logon

drobertson

Like it! Awsome idea, followed by execellent fab work, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!