iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookin Wild Hog

Started by Bro. Noble, November 15, 2009, 10:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Does anyone have experience preparing and cooking wild hogs?  Should I just strip out the loins and hams?  Are they worth bothering with at all?  If so,  how shoud they be cooked?  I assume a dry sow or a young one would be best.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

The younger the better.  Cook everything low and slow.  You can't just throw a chunk of wild hog on the grill and expect to eat a half-hour later unless you have razor blades for teeth.  I have my best luck when the meat is sealed up to slowly steam in its own juices for at least a 12 pack.  On the grill, I cook it over a smoky fire until "done", then wrap tightly in foil over a low fire for several hours.  In the house, use the crockpot or put it in a tightly closed roasting pan in a slow oven for several hours.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Yep!  That's the way.  What DanG said.

Something to note (message from Granddad): When you shoot that hog, don't let it run.  Its better if they are asleep.  :D

My Uncle Pete shot one, onetime, while it was running across the field and my aunt ran him out of the kitchen when it started to cook.  He had to bury it meat, pot and all.   It's probaby still there.  :D

Texas Ranger

Cook WELL done, they got more parasites than the government. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

zopi

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 15, 2009, 06:20:52 PM
Cook WELL done, they got more parasites than the government. 

BS. NOTHING has more parasites than the gov't....

If you can trap the piglets young, and corn feed them, and keep them from running all
over the place, they make better meat..you are what you eat and whatever a wild pig can find isn't all the great...

Some of the better gourmet hams are from acorn fed hogs...most notably, the ibericos...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

I gave up on every method except BBQing slow or grinding the meat for sausage.  The meat is so tough. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ely

the mainmost trick to a good eating hog is cleanliness. they are undoubtetly the most nasty animal i have eaten. but on the good side all the nasty is on the exterior of the animal. unless its a boar, then some of the nasty is on the inside.

if you are not going to take extreme care when dealing with all the boar parts of a hog while skinning it then you may as well not waste your time skinning it. it will not be fit to eat.

primary thing is wash your hog after you have killed it. they have stuff all over there hide. even the sows have stuff on their hide, they get it from the boars ::)

once you get them washed then you can skin them.  dont let the water run off the hocks or the head whichever way you skin them. it will get all over the meat while you skin it. this is where the bad tatse and smell comes from.

i wash my hogs before i even bleed them. i dont want them opened up until they are clean. i use a brush and dish soap if i dont have a pressure washer.

Bro. Noble

We've had wild hogs for a few years and have shot 8 or 10 in the past couple of years,  most of them this past summer.  They have increased so much that they have become a nuisance and now only come out at night.  The conservation service asked to put out a trap and we were agreeable.  The first night we caught three and kept one in a small pen next to the trap to use as a decoy.  The others we gave to a friend of my son.  Yesterday we had a huge sow and a small boar and shot a large boar outside the trap.  The sow and small boar went to a neighbor.  The conservation trapper is feeding the little decoy gilt everyday and plans  to keep it there all winter or until he thinks he's got all the hogs.  I told him not to skimp on the feed,  cause that's the one I want. :D  Tom,  I 'll take your advice and shoot it while it's sleeping.  When those things are awake they spend their time charging you.  It's a little scary getting the stoopid cows in before daylight with those things around.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

pineywoods

Bro Noble, you doin it right. Around here, most folks use a pressure cooker, even then sometimes the result is not too good. A lot depends on what they've been eating.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ErikC

I have sent the hams in to be smoked, and they are good. The best tenderizer I have used for the rest is a sausage grinder. Takes the tough right out of them. And the sausage seasoning helps with the flavor. But even then there is no substitute for cleanliness, as someone already described.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Larry

Pretty tasty if not over about 80 pounds...in fact far better than what comes from the market.  Heavier than that or a boar let em lay.  No secret to the way we prepared them...just like any other porker.

We've always skinned them before gutting. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pappy19

When I lived and worked in Louisiana we killed a number of feral hogs and tried cooking them any number of ways. As already noted, clean with a scrub brush and water, then skin, then cut off hocks/feet(no you don't even want to think about that), then gut(and throw out everyting while holding your nose), and then(if possible) let what's left hang for a week in the fresh air(not some meat cooler with a bunch of deer or other hogs), then cut up the chops and tenders and sausage the rest. Better is to smoke the sausage. Forget the hams, just sausage the whole thing except the loin chops and tenders and you'll like the result. Make sure you cook everything to 180 or risk tricanosis or worse. Acorn fed feral hogs can be good if you stick with the above, otherwise, it's a crap shoot and pun is intended.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

James P.

Geeze and to think how lucky I thought you guys were to have wild hogs to eat. I saw a show just this weekend on the problem farmers were having and the traps they put out. Even thought that wouldn't be a bad business to take and get some traps and go on the road. resell the hogs for meat. well sorry to hear they aren't that wonderful. I was wondering why the farmers were complaining.  :D

stonebroke

I heard that some hunters are trapping the little ones castrating them and turning them back out, just what us farmers need!!

Stonebroke

WDH

I hate to kill something and just let it lay.  I have let them go before just because they were so big and nasty looking.  The best bet may be to trap them and give them away to someone willing to feed the nastiness out of them and butcher them later.  I don't have time to fool with it, so I don't do it.  If I eat pork, i would rather have domestic stock bred for meat and let the rest of y'all have the wild stuff.  I would prefer venison any day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: stonebroke on November 17, 2009, 10:05:21 AM
I heard that some hunters are trapping the little ones castrating them and turning them back out, just what us farmers need!!

Stonebroke

Some of that goes on here, but it ain't made a dent in the population. Only good thing, if you catch the same one a year later, they are somewhat fit to eat. Some areas of north louisiana and south arkansas are so overrun, it's legal to kill them any way you can anywhere you can, even in the game reserves.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

In Texas they are a non game animal, kill where and when you can, got to have a license, but kill them 24/7/365.  DanG things are dangerous and a nuisance.  If you have ever seen a hardwood bottom or a plantation torn up by the DanG things, killing them and leaving them lay is not a problem.

Coyotes got to eat.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

stonebroke

In new york witha small game licence you can kill them anytime anywhere anyhow.

Stonebroke

woodsteach

Gee and to think about 10 years ago while in Florida visiting relatives I paid to go shoot them things. and then Mama Rico (who came from Cuba about 50 years ago) cooked it up and DanG it was good!  BUT it was in the 80lb range and the guide had that thing skinned and quartered so fast I can't remember the details.

Here my cousin and I were just talking about going somewhere and hunting hogs for some more meat. :D :D

I'll have to see if Mama Rico will part with how she prepared it!

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Larry

We had a lease in east Texas at one time.  There was some guys trapping hogs on the lease or in the vicinity for re-sale up in Arkansas and Oklahoma.  The sportsman? there were releasing them for there enjoyment.  I think the penalty is jail time or a minimum a big fine.  They can really destroy habitat for native animals.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WildDog

In my state downunder its illegal to transport a live feral pig, they must be dead, they are classed as a pest animal and must be continually controled and supressed under the Rural lands Protection Board Act, my day job is to ensure compliance with this act, instead of using the big stick we prefer the advisory role and assist with supply and monitoring of pig traps, we issue a chemical called 1080 to kill the pigs, they take a bit of knocking, the rate is approx 15mililitres in 1kilogram of grain, which is 60 times more than I would inject a 250gram wilddog/dingo bait or 120 times more than a 100 gram fox bait. The pigs often consume a lot then regurgitate it. They are not always easy to get as they are a smart animal and when they get that trotting gait up they can do about 30 miles a day. The easiest time to find them is in dry conditions when they hang around water holes, creeks etc. Our agency conducts regular aerial shoots from helicopters using slr 308's and pump action shotguns, I was talking to a fellow Ranger from out west last week and his recent shoot resulted in approx 600 dead pigs. The majority of our pigs destined for the chillers and then exported for human consumption are caught by dogs, lugged by the ears and then stabbed with a long bladed knife, its nice to have reliable dogs as some of these guys sport some pretty good ivory.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Stan snider

I saw an ad on craigslist of someone in Kansas wanting to kill a wild hog with a knife like that.  ::)I suspected he was an escapee from an asylum but maybe he had been hanging around some of your Aussie buddies and had been infected with that idea!! ;D :D               I don't have much experience with wild hogs but there is a group of around 100 only a few miles away so they're coming. There is some interesting stats on there reproductive rates and distribution on a Missouri DNR site I ran across that said If you don't have them it is just a matter of time.                                                                    I think it is legal to hunt them from the air here too.  Probably fine to kill them with a knife but i'll leave that to guys with more nerve and less sense than me.  Those tushes are nothing to play with! Stan                                                                                        When I post something my paragraphs are not like the preview. ::) any ideas?

beenthere

Quote from: Stan snider on November 18, 2009, 09:12:26 AM
I saw an ad on craigslist of someone in Kansas wanting to kill a wild hog with a knife like that.  ::)I suspected he was an escapee from an asylum but maybe he had been hanging around some of your Aussie buddies and had been infected with that idea!! ;D :D 
I don't have much experience with wild hogs but there is a group of around 100 only a few miles away so they're coming. There is some interesting stats on there reproductive rates and distribution on a Missouri DNR site I ran across that said If you don't have them it is just a matter of time. 
I think it is legal to hunt them from the air here too.  Probably fine to kill them with a knife but i'll leave that to guys with more nerve and less sense than me.  Those tushes are nothing to play with! Stan 
When I post something my paragraphs are not like the preview. ::) any ideas?

No, except it was full of spaces. I could remove them in the quote, and preview looks fine. Will see what posts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stan snider

Thanks Beenthere:  There are a few things I know somewhat about but computers aren't on that list!! :D

Tom

Stan, sometimes, the use of smileys will throw off the number of spaces between letters or might even backspace over a carriage return.  I don't know why.  I don't know why the preview screen doesn't show it either.  You can use the modify at the top right of your post to go in and fix it, if you want.  :)

Dad told me a story of he and his buddies preparing a bar-b-cue of wild hogs. All of the guys were rounders, so you have to take that into consideration.  They had trapped the hogs and had them in a pen.  When they had the tables built and were fixing the pit, some of them hollered at Dad, "Tom go get one of those pigs".

Dad didn't have any experience with wild pigs.  He picked one out, climbed over the shoulder high fence and...

"Son!  Before I could get out of there, the only thing I had left on was my belt loops."  :D

Thank You Sponsors!