iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Build auto-feed sawmill for about 100 bucks!!!

Started by Slingshot, November 13, 2009, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

loggingdenmark

wow.... takes production to a hole new level :-\

Tom

Is that your's slingshot?

Gotta admire a contraption like that, but that blade needs some containment.   Being up on the mountain, in the woods, off of the grid, like that, getting a spinning bandsaw blade wrapped around the neck would pretty bad.  Not to mention the problems of being hit with shrapnel from a broken band.   I guess this band isn't under too much strain, but stuff happens.

I want to see the elevator that goes to the top of the tower.  :D

Slingshot

No. That is not my mill. I ran across it surfing u-tube and thought it rather interesting that something
like that can actually saw as good as it seems to be doing.

_______________________-

Charles
sling_shot

bandmiller2

Tip o the hat to that lad he done good with what he had.A bigger motor or engine and he'd be crusing the interstate,and mayby a guard.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I'd fall asleep running that mill.  Looks like a small motor.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

TJB

My buddy used to have his Norwood rigged up like that with a 5 gallon bucket of sand. lol
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

James P.

I'm sure that guy has an interesting story, luckily he isn't a perfectionist. I envy his ability to make do. I lol when he called that his shop. I hope he keeps his equipment on the ground level floor. that said thanks for that video. It was worth watching

moonhill

He probably uses more fuel running the genny to power the electric mill than if he has used a small gas engine on the unit instead.  I guess he could switch to alternative sources solar/wind when he has the cash to go that big. 

He also needs a scrapper on the track in front of the rollers to keep the sawdust from accumulating and messing with the thicknesses of his material.  Did you notice he didn't have any gloves on either ;D among other offenses.  I hope his tower does not come down on top of everything. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

beenthere

Why does he need gloves?  I missed that.  ???

Seems a simple way to get the mill to move at its own pace through the log would be to lower one end of the mill and let gravity feed the head down the log. Raise that end to return the head, or just pull it back up hill for the next cut.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

backwoods sawyer

If he put a new saw on he may have to put a smaller log on, but it is getting the job done as is. He is starting to get quite a pile of sawdust there.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

That is really a neat setup.  As long as it meets his needs and keeps turning out beams and boards, looks like he's happy.  That band is gonna need sharpening.  Bet he uses a file..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rickywashere

i have found as long as it serves your needs to heck what everyone else thinks buttttttt i wouldn't touch it with borrowed hands that far away from civilization to many ways to get hurt milling without adding to the danger with the Gilligan's island approach doing it/// but hats off to him   

mike_van

The machine is "getting it done" but the cost  someday [broken band in your face] might be priceless.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Bibbyman

Looks like a good candidate for a Darwin Award to me.
Sawing since '94

paul case

bibby
i think hat looks more like a rube goldberg machine! you know the kind where 16 dominos fall that triggers a cup to spill that waters a mouse so he has to go to the bathroom that in turn completes the elec. circut that starts a motor turning that flips the switch on a vac cleaner that bumps the cat and he jumps up and lands on a paddle that is taped to the flusher on the toilet. you know one of those!   my only thing with this set up is that the mill head has to come back sometime and that means a person is going to have to pull that same weight up. i guess that with a push by hand method a person could not walk around with a camera and video the ghost sawmill in action.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

shinnlinger

Ok,

Who is going to email that guy and share these concerns?  Do we have an obligation to do so?  I mean filming the welded band as it comes around the wheel is a little silly.  BUt then again he has done some impressive things..
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Bibbyman

Quote from: shinnlinger on November 15, 2009, 10:11:05 AM
Ok,

Who is going to email that guy and share these concerns?  Do we have an obligation to do so?  I mean filming the welded band as it comes around the wheel is a little silly.  BUt then again he has done some impressive things..

I watched a video on TV the other night of a guy that rode a skateboard down the roof of a commercial building and tried to land on a staircase railing but missed and went kersplat on the steps.   I wasn't impressed.

I don't know what obligation we have for this guy.  He'll be DanG lucky or learn the hard way.

I just hope anyone encouraged by this video will go ahead and add some adequate shielding around the blade and such.
Sawing since '94

Bruce_A

If this were a commercial operation I might share your safety concerns.  However I didn't see him handle the blade while in operation, walk anywhere near it while it was cutting[camera zoom], or do anything that would not be hindered by gloves.  I did however see someone with a powerful lot of time to come up with something that works,  although slowly at best.  Very low cost per board foot however.  Imagine what he could do if he were to invest 20 to 30 thousand like some of the other band millers.  One more point that comes to mind is the fact that he probably could get very drunk drinking beer while waiting on the cutting since he didn't have to be near the mill while it ran. 8) ;D :D

Hilltop366

If you watch another one of his videos (it's hard to watch) he was pushing the saw with his face just behind and above the blade ! :o

Here is another home made band saw this guy says he is putting guards on his read the comments where he says how far it will throw a blade when it comes of the wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1QFRCkW28k&feature=PlayList&p=BDC19A6E851ABD6E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=63

Bibbyman

Looks like his drive wheel is on the left side (as we're looking at the video) and it looks like it has to be "pushing" the blade instead of pulling it. 

The blade sounded right off like there may have been a break starting in it by the "rump, rump, rump" sound it was making.  The cut on the top of the cant looked like the blade had hit something or had a few teeth missing or bent way out of set. 

Lucky for him that the blade broke and left the blade in the cut, else it would have been much more dramatic.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

I dropped the guy a note yesterday morning:

I ran across your bandsaw on a forestry related site ( www.forestryforum.com ), and would like to throw a friendly word of caution your way.

I highly recommend cobbling up a set of blade guards for your saw, I've had bands break before on my woodmizer sawmill, and with guards it is still pretty scary. It's hard to guess where a band would stop if one broke and started "dancing" around your log.

Good luck, a little ingenuity will go a long ways, and it appears that you have plenty!

Dan Shade

Oh..... the blade has broken plenty of times. Always goes the same place. I was using a repaired blade when making the saw before I bought a pair of new ones. My crappy repairs only lasted a few days.

My conscience is clear on this one...

The second video is really scary.  Have any of you guys ever had a band shoot out of a cut when it breaks?  I had a band break once prior to entering the log, that was "enlightening".  It happened the first or second day that I ran my woodmizer.  The blade actually popped out of the throat, and had several feet sticking out.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Bands come out where ever the end is pointed when it breaks.  Some are simple, and some really make a mess.  It seemed like that was the first time that he had ever seen a band break, and really didn't realize that it could/would happen.  And he didn't even have but one blade.

As Bibbyman mentioned, you could hear the "thump" and see the previous cut on the cant.  He hit something on that cut, but the blade was badly out of "whack" before that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Night Raider

I'm impressed by their creativity (both of them) but you wouldn't catch me near those mills.

Thank You Sponsors!