iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gaurdrail tubing for shed posts?

Started by jmmy6767, November 12, 2009, 08:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmmy6767

Hey everybody ;D,  I got some galvanized tubing from work, and was wondering if any of you had ever heard of anyone using this stuff, for building purposes ?  The tubing was attatched to the backside of some gaurdrail, and the approx. dimensions are 5"x8"  and 25' length.   Could this stuff be used as  posts to an open sided shed? 
jimmy

Ironwood

YUP, local steel shop used it to put up an additional building. Got it CHEAP, lucky dogs, wish I could have gotten in that deal. FYI, bolt to the galvanized, even if you grind it "off" it still effects welds AND fumes are bad.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironmower

WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Woodwalker

Something like this?

It's 24' X 34'. 3" X 1\4" tubing, The I beam on the post are 3" X 8" with 12" X 34' "C" purling on 4' centers.
I did design it for our snow load :D and it has survived  two hurricanes.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

jmmy6767

You guys are fast and full of good news 8)   
  Yo are right about the fumes >:( , I just spent two days torching the stuff off a bridge We are tearing down >:( >:(    And how did you guys know I wanted to build a sawmill shed?   Of course I don't have a sawmill YET ;D   But when I get one the shed will be there.   I am going to be loading the stuff on a trailer this sat.   I will try to take some pics and figure out how to post em.    You guys have a good night!     jimmy
jimmy

Donald D

If you get sick from welding the galvanized steel, drink milk. It neutralizes the toxic  effect in the blood stream. Know from experience...

stonebroke

drink milk before you do anything with galvanized

Stonebroke

SPIKER

never heard about the drinking milk when working with galv.   huh learned something new today...
:)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

isawlogs

Best thing is still having a ventilated helmet ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on November 15, 2009, 09:02:14 PM

Best thing is still having a ventilated helmet ...

Right, protect those lungs.  Milk won't do that.  Use a "carbon" mask.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

I don't think the damage to the lungs is what kills you, I think it is heavy metal poisoning of the blood.

Stonebroke

Magicman

Quote from: stonebroke on November 16, 2009, 08:16:07 AM
I don't think the damage to the lungs is what kills you, I think it is heavy metal poisoning of the blood.

Stonebroke

It gets in your blood through your lungs when you breathe it in......
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

Yeah, probably kill you either way.

Stonebroke

Magicman

Yup, there's no degrees of dead.  Bottom line.....don't breathe that white/green/yellow smoke that comes off of galvanized metal.

tughill

How about just don't attempt to weld, or cut galvanized steel w torch or plasma?  That's my method.

We have used the square galvanized guardrail tubing for years to build pole barns.  Cut it into 6' long pieces, cut 55 gallon drum in half to make two big 'buckets'.  fill 'buckets' with concrete, put guardrail tubing standing up into the center of the concrete, fill tubing w concrete up to about 10" from top.  Let them cure (you can also cast in place), dig holes for pole barn with backhoe about 3' deep, drop your bucket of concrete with tubing sticking up into hole, plumb the tubing, and backfill.  The standard guardrail square tubing will accept a 6"x6" post almost perfect.  Bucket of concrete prevents frost heave and sinking into soft ground, as well as keeps wood out of the ground.

There is now a product that does the same thing, but is quite $$ called a perma column.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

jmmy6767

Thanks for all the replies.   I spent two days cutting  the gaurdrail , I did not have a mask or respirator.   I feel like an idiot, but I didnt know it was that serious(blood poisoning etc....)   Fortunatley I don't havre to cut anymore.    Its not even my ususal job.   I am actually a heavy equipment operator, but, there wasn't any other work to do those days so it was either do it or go home.   But anyhow,  I went back and did some searching here and found where the posts had been used like you suggested  (Moonhill)   I was hoping to sink them in concrete and use them as the entire posts themselves.   The shed will be in South eastern Indiana.   So I am going to have to find the snow load for my area.   I had thought about filling them with either bank run (sandy gravel mix  =   free$$$)   or concrete.   Then having  a friend of mine weld  (with a mask)  Brackets ,  8" down from the top to rest 2"x8"s on that would then be held on each side with lag bolts.   Is this a good plan?  Is filling the posts over kill?  I am afraid the might buckle?    By the way,   the tubing is 8"x4" in diameter  21' in length, and approx  3/16  thick.   Thanks,   jimmy ;D
jimmy

Thank You Sponsors!