iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a firewood processor (with updated 7-10-2011 pics and video)

Started by GF, November 11, 2009, 10:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

Logboy,

1) Welcome to the forum

2) Thank you for your service.

3)  A 25hp power plant will work.  However, horsepower equals speed.  The speed will depend on size of pump, cylinder size, saw motor displacement, max pressure.  If you Google around the various hydraulic manufacturer websites, you can pick up the formulas to determine max pressure/volume for a given HP input.
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

John Mc

If you've already discovered LogRite, you might check out their section here on FF. Scroll way down on the Forestry Forum index, or try here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,58.0.html

Look for a thread on "firewood processor" for a video of their new processor. It takes care of a lot of the processing, however, you still use a handheld chainsaw to block up the logs. It might be something you could modify to mount a chainsaw on?  It's certainly less expensive than some of the big processors.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

junkfxr

Hello all. New to this forum but no stranger to the timber industry at all. I joined this forum because of this thread, found it while looking for info on processors and just read all 11 pages.

GF, is the splitter cylinder only attached to the splitter base at the back end or is it also attached at the rod end also? I couldn't tell by the pictures. I did see that the pusher isn't attached to the base, it just rolls along on the rollers. What keeps it from riding up while splitting?
Great job by the way. Wished I had 1/2 the motivation that you do.

GF

Welcome to the forum junkfxr.  The splitter mechanism was built seperate its much like a normal log splitter.   The bottom the the push plate does not have anything to keep it from rising when splitting.  The push plate is made from 1.5" thick plate.  On the top part of the push plate you maybe able to notice there are two ears that protrude out, these ears fit inside of some 3" c-channel.  

On the backside of the push plate there is a large portion of steel  made of 1" x 6" plate that is welded to it, this is where the ram attaches and this also keeps the push plate square with the bottom where the rollers are located.  On the top portion there is a steel frame made from 3" heavy wall square tubing that is about 36" and the width of the ears on the push plate. This frame bolts to the push plate portion with 15 grade 8 bolts and this rides along in the 3" c-channel at the top.   This is the frame that prevents the push plate for rising or twisting when you split a log.  Below are a couple of pics that may help out.

Hope this helps.
GF

junkfxr

Yes, it sure does help. I wasn't looking at the top, just at the bottom like a conventional splitter. Thanks.

hiluxpig

Hi everyone just trying to get some info for everyone that is after it.

This is the model of chain i am going to run WH-82 in the in feed deck

What rpm and toque needed for the log deck, in feed and out feed conveyor?

Any one in Australia looking at building a smallish firewood processor for aussie hard woods looking for someone to share ideas/supplier with.

Brad
redbackengineering@gmail.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Hilux it good to have another Aussie on board  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) where abouts in Australia are you from and how old are you Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

711ac

Johnny come lately here WOW GF!
What the heck do you do "for work"? I'd like to grow up to be like you but uhoh I got 8yrs on ya. Really exceptional work, can't express enough envy. Your (mill & splitter) projects are both at the top of my pipe dream list to build. How about some shop pics, I imagine that too, will pith me off :D What's next on your build list? jet plane, space shuttle II, D-11? Thanks for letting us in on your fine work.

GF

My full time job is dealing with computers 25+ years, now I do architecture and design for computer systems and networks (boring).  To be honest I cannot stand sitting at a desk but its always been a job that is out of the weather, has stability, and pays the bills.

Not sure what the next build will be, with the price of steel now I have slowed down.  Been thinking about building an splitter to build split rail fencing, another thought is to build a stump grinder that would go in place of a bucket on a backhoe.  Right now I don't seem to have enough time to use the things I have built. 

weedman7

Hello everyone, i'm new in this site, my name is Roberts.
I want to make firewood processor similar this one, but i will make it with two electric motors. One is for oil pump and second is for saw blade. I just now blueprint a simple model (just for a look, without any exact dimensions, just to understand the idea), of how the saw blade will be connected with electric motor, and i want to know your opinion, is this bad idea or not, or what could i change there to advance it. Here are some photos below:

beenthere

weedman7  
Welcome to the forum.

Usually the saw system you show is referred to as a slasher.  Such a system is also referred to as a buzz saw in the bucking of firewood, with flat belt driven or PTO driven.

Up to what diameter logs are you figuring into your design? And what do you have in mind for a saw blade?

Baker, one of our sponsors here, has a slasher.
http://www.baker-online.com/Log_Cut-Off_Slasher_Saw_Log_Cut-Off_Slasher_Saw.aspx?productid=2646&categoryid=106
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weedman7

beenthere
Many thanks for the information which you told me, based on Saw name, now I can search in google more info about slasher, but actually BAKER have a great idea, because the weight adjusted on both sides, so the hydraulic cylinder will not need so much energy to lift up slasher. And it is more easy to build it when electric motor is on the same frame as the saw blade.

In response to your question, The max diameter of log will be about 28 cm, so the saw blade will be 80 cm.

Den Socling

Weedman7,
Welcome to the forum. I think you write with an accent. Where are you from, if I may ask?
Den

weedman7

I'm from Latvia, it's in the center of Europe. I'm only 17 years old, my father have wood processing companie, and I want to make a firewood processor to supplement the companie. He already have firewood procesor from PALAX, it's totaly hydraulic. And 3 simple firewood proccesors. I decide to build firewood processor to improve my skills in engineering, welding, etc. So i decided to build processor similar to GF's. Should i make new topic as GF did? Add photos to show progress? I apologize for my accent, i'm not very good at English.

beenthere

Good on you for designing a firewood processor. And your english is quite good. No apologies needed and glad to have you aboard, accent and all.  :) :) 
Am sure that Den feels the same and also wants to hear more from you about your processor development and about your experiences.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

I'm with beenthere. No apology needed. Your English is fine. As for a new topic, maybe you should start a new one titled slasher. GF's is long and I wouldn't want to see yours buried.

Norm

Welcome to the FF weedman7. Don't worry about your accent, I have less trouble with yours than the guys south of the mason-dixie line.  :D

zopi

Weedman...I would mount the motor on the moving frame...maybe a plate offset from the bottom of the swingarm...with the motor mounted to a fixed frame and the blade moving up and down, you introduce more dynamic stresses on the entire drive train...even with a spring tensioner to keep belt tension fairly constant...methinks it would be easier to maintain as well...maybe fewer bearing failures...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

weedman7

Thanks for greetings :)
Allright, I will make new topic, this one is too much mixed up. And talking about slasher, i'd thinked over it, and decided to build firewood processor with one electric motor, who will be combined with circular saw and oil pump, all on one axis, taking the idea from PALAX.

I will finish draft this month (3D model with all correct dimensions etc.), and when i'll finish at least skeleton (that could take 1 - 2 weeks) then i'll come back to this awesome forum to show my progress.

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the forum Weedman  ;) good drawings and idea on the firewood slash saw but like Zopi said mount that motor on the frame counter balanced over the piviot point and id also mount the Hyd ram on the other side to reduce the stroke needed and reduce cycle time Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thorracing01

GF,

I have been reading your post while deployed to Iraq. I'm now getting ready to head home and it really has inspired me to fire up the welder and get to fabricating. But I was wondering if you had a list of parts you used? If you had anytype of dimensions/ blueprints? I can't really see everything in the post (videos and links) due to are limited internet access. I will be doing a lot more research once I return home so any information really helps out.

Thanks
Joel

GF

I did not create any type of parts list or any type of blue print, I just bought things as I went along.   About as close to a part list I have is all the receipts of everything in a folder.

GF

thecfarm

Thorracing01,welcome to the forum and thank you for serving our country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gorshi

Hi Guys,
First things first...Two thumbs up GF  8)..nice processor.
I'm in the process of rebuilding my processor to accommodate my injury. I only have 50% movemnet in my one arm. So my processor needs to be able to be operated with one hand.
So I am looking for info on orbital motors to turn a 4' blade and pump. Also a gillateen or rocker arm??
Any suggestions on which to use. I have researched but am unsure. So if anyone has any info/suggestions all are welcome.

And welcome to all the new members.

blackfoot griz

Gorshi,
It seems like most commercial processors use a rocker arm--Cord King, CRD etc.

Could you use foot petal controls for some of the functions...like on a skidsteer?

Thank You Sponsors!