iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a firewood processor (with updated 7-10-2011 pics and video)

Started by GF, November 11, 2009, 10:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

Started on my new project building a hydraulic firewood processor.

This picture shows the infeed conveyor that is 15' long the main frame is made of 3" square tubing

This shows a porttion of the splitter area still in the process of being built.  The hydraulic ram is a 5 X 24.  The splitter carriage rides on the 3" x 6" frame and uses two 3" x 3.5" solid steel
rollers to help eliminate wear on the bottom as the logs are split.

The chainsaw bar is 29", and will be powered by a hydraulic motor and eventually powered by a hydraulic cylinder.  Eventually a six way and eight way splitter will be located in the back portion and will be adjustable up and down with a hydraulic cylinder.

Still have a ways to go until its completed.

chevytaHOE5674

Looks like a good start. Looking forward to seeing progress pictures.

rs1626

LOOKS GREAT DO YOU KNOW WHAT SIZE ENGINE YOU WILL USE ?WHAT SIZE PUMP? 

GF

Plans are to use a 40 to 68hp engine , looking at running 25GPM pumps. 

GF

Modat22

really nice looking project! building it super heavy duty as well.
remember man that thy are dust.

tonto

Nice looking unit. Did you have plans or did you come up with a design after looking at some of the manufactured units? Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Ernie

What a great project.  I look forward to more pics and technical details as you progress.  Well done.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

After the mill you built, this has no choice but to be a great piece of equipment once its done. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woody1

Great looking project !!  Can't wait to see the progress.
I just purchased a homemade firewood processor and can see how much effort and time goes into making it operate properly. I've been tweeking some problems with mine, but overall a great unit.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

GF

Tonto,
     I didnt really have any plans, I had looked at several different ones on the internet and like ideas from different ones they I plan on incorporating.

Jeff,
    The sawmill is still going strong, the only problem I have is my full time daily office job is starting to get in the way of what I really like to do making sawdust.

Woody1,
    I would like to see some photos of the processor you purchased, and any ideas you could recommend on making the processor more effecient etc.

As I progress foward I will continue to update photos and how the progress is going.  Right now I am catching up on cutting lumber this weekend and wont get much in. 

woody1

GF,
There are a couple pictures in my gallery. There are a couple things i would like to change on mine.
1) The hydraulic chainsaw throws the sawdust out in the direction of the operator. It's no problem, but if the wind is blowing it's annoying.
2) The chain used to advance the log is #55 barn chain. There is no problem yet, but heavier would be alot better.
3) The box the cut pice falls into was too small for the wedge and pieces were getting hung up between the wedge and the box. I welded a thinner wedge on and that took care of the problem.
4) I don't have a live deck....soon to come.
5) There is not a solid brace under the dog. I am going to weld a piece of 2x2 box under the carrige.

If you have any questions at all..just ask .

GF

I was needing some information prior to building the six way splitter if anyone can help.   On the center vertical section of the six way splitter how much further out does it extend before the rest of the six way splitter wedges make contact with the log?  Thanks

GF

sawdust

Ran across this,   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZq9OLLA0tI

I wonder how large diameter it can handle? The conveyor is a hoot, maybe a little too enthusiastic.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

beenthere

Clever concept. Chops and splits all in one rotation of the rotating knife.
There are several videos connected with this, but only one shows a larger diameter about 12", and likely spruce.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

That is a clever concept but how long could the belt on the infeed put up with that abuse?

Warren

GF,

Looking at your processor.  It appears you have a very good start on it.   I am considering building something similar and am looking for an idea for an oiler.  How are you planning to oil the chain ?   Local equipment dealer suggested something simple like a gravity feed bottle with tubing.  Set the bottle up with saw so that when the saw is vertical, no flow.  When the bar goes down, the bottle inverts and gravity does it's thing...  Had a similar set up to oil chains on a round baler.  Seemed to work O.K.

Also,  did you ever settle on hw to control the saw chain, the saw bar and the clamp from one valve ?

All help appreciated. 

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Hilltop366

Hi Warren

I know you were askin GF but I give you my 2 cents any way (free of charge).

I tried a gravity feed on my CSM because I used a B&S engine from a lawn tractor instead of a chainsaw, it didn't work, may be I could have tried larger tubing to get more flow but I found if I thined out the oil and it was not too cold out it almost did oil enough but the next time I would try it, it was colder and did not work good at all.

What I ended up doing was adding a large electric bellows fuel pump to it (the low pressure kind that make the clicking sound when running) at the hole where it goes to the bar & chain I put a small ball valve to turn off when not in use and a needle type shutoff to adjust flow rate, I my case I wired the pump to the same switch as the drive clutch so it only oils when the clutch is on.

Another idea I had was to add a small 12v air compressor to pressure the tank and a electric valve wired to  the clutch switch.
For a firewood processor the switch or a valve (electric or not) could be controlled by the movement of the cutting bar.

Hopefully some one who knows how the real ones work will chime in and let us know, I am enjoying watching this thread and waiting for the next installment.

Cheers

Warren

Hilltop,

For my situation, air will not be an issue.  However, the electric diesel diaphram pump would be relatively simple and cheap ( $40).  Pardon the thinking out loud...

Set the bottle up in a gravity feed situation.  Use a normally closed plunger switch.  like off of a car or truck door post for cab lighting.  When the saw bar is all the way up, the switch is pressed, the pump is off.  AS soon as the saw bar starts down, switch closes, pump starts.   At top of cycle again, switch is pressed, pump shuts off...

Could be workable...  Thanks for the idea...

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

woody1

On my processor the bar is oiled via the hydraulic line going to the saw motor. There is a small drip valve teed into the line. It works fine and dosn't use much hydraulic fluid at all. I was worried about using the fluid for bar lube, but the old guy that built, has used it for years with no problem. If you would like a picture of the setup..let me know.
Woody

Hilltop366

I think I get it , I had thought I had heard of that before but wasn't sure enough to say it out loud.

As for myself I wouldn't mind seeing it if you get the time.

Cheers

woody1

I know exactly what you mean.  ;) But it's easier to say it when you can prove it works ;) ;). I will go and get a picture tommorrow and post it, if I can. If not it will be in my gallery.
Regards,
Firewoody  :D :D

GF

Plans are to use a small 12v pump probably a electric fuel pump of some type, I will them install a small switch where the bar is located, as the bar is lowered the pump will kick in and start oiling.  Hopefully this plan will work.  Thoguht about gravity but on cold days was not sure how well it would actually work.

GF

woody1

I went and took a couple picture of the bar oiler. The silver adjuster in the center of the picture is drip adjuster. The fast the chain spins the more oil.
Woody

Hilltop366

Great stuff Woody. Thanks

Looks like a well made rig!

It looks like the hydro motor, saw bar cylinder and oiler all run off the same curcuit, Does it have a way to control the speed of the cylinder?  I was wondering if the bar moved too fast the chain would stall? Also wondering if it is all on the same valve there must be a one way check valve after the cylinder tee so the saw chain won't run backwords when returning the saw to rest position?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been thinking of making a processor although on a much smaller scale than yours and thanks again.

Cheers

mainiac

I like what you have done so far. I bought a Timberwolf Pro-MP almost 2 years ago and the thing that sold me most on it was the clamp/roller for advancing the log for the next cut. I have put some real crooked logs down through it. If you could design something like it, I think it would be well worth the time and effort.

Timberwolf uses an electric pump for the bar oil. It is activated when I pull the lever to engage the chain that is driven by a hydraulic motor. One lever for the chain one lever for the bar.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Thank You Sponsors!