iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing maples from seed?

Started by scgargoyle, November 11, 2009, 07:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

As many maples as there are around, this may seem like a dumb question, but how hard is it to raise Red Maples from seed? Where my property is in up state SC, fall foliage can be hit or miss. But there's a red maple near my buddy's house that is a consistent performer in the fall. Nice shaped tree, too. I'm wondering if I can get seeds from it, what are the chances they'll produce trees with the same characteristics? Once I clear a spot for a house, and thin some of my woods, I'd like to have a few specimen trees on the edge of the woods, and these maples would be stunning in the fall.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

James P.

scgargoyle , I am not a forester but having in the last few years thinned a few acres of tightly grown small gums 4 to 6 inches thinking I was going to improve their growth and recently clearcutting it all have noticed alot of red maples and small loblolly pines. I have no pines on my propert but a large old loblolly in some old woods next to my propert has set out alot of seedlings. I am noticing them every where. Same with the red maples they are very small just a few inches but it seems that since I let sunlight into the woods thru the yearly thinning it has caused them to finally start to grow. I think if you plant the seed  on the edge of your woods they would grow fine . I never realized what a role the sun played in the growth of the seedling. I actually have to watch where I am walking cause there are baby pines literally all over, which is exciting . I am not as happy about the maples but you are wanting the foliage . I will let some grow but hope to grow mostly pines and oaks if it works out. Good luck

SwampDonkey

Not hard at all to germinate. They do ripen a lot sooner than hard maples, by mid summer. I think they need to over winter before germination, but silver maple mature about the same time and germinate the same season. Only 1 of the two seeds in the double samara will be viable, the other is a dud.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

By 'over-winter', do you mean just letting them age, or actual cold stratification? I've done that before- planting seeds in the back of the fridge for a few weeks! I assume when they fall off of the tree, they are ripe?

Tom

I have more trouble getting rid of red maple seedlings than trying to get them to grow here. It's a never ending job.  I can't get down on my knees very good anymore and I'm on my third set of tweezers already this week. Just six more acres to go.  :-\

SwampDonkey

Quote from: scgargoyle on November 12, 2009, 03:05:03 PM
By 'over-winter', do you mean just letting them age, or actual cold stratification? I've done that before- planting seeds in the back of the fridge for a few weeks! I assume when they fall off of the tree, they are ripe?

Yes to cold stratification and yes to when they fall from the tree they are ripe.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll have my buddy harvest some seeds next summer. Hopefully, I can get them started in the winter months. With any luck, I'll be up there building my house by then!

Raider

I have some Silver Maple(soft), that my Mom's Grand father started as a boy. Not sure on the year but my Mother is 88 yrs old. We taped the tree 4' off of the ground it was 19'-8" around. Tad big for the wood-mizer :D   Raider

Thank You Sponsors!