iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RED OAK, IS IT DRY?

Started by btmsx, November 11, 2009, 09:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btmsx

I cut down a Red Oak, 14" DIA, in August 08. I limed it and left it laying until this past weekend. I drug it up to the house to cut up for fire wood and thought about milling it into lumber. Would yall think it is dry enough to use the cut lumber now, or, should I have to stack it? I will probably use it for lap siding on my barn.

beenthere

Not sure what "limed it" means, but I'm figure you sprinkled lime on it.  :)  Not sure why tho.

If the log has been laying a year, you didn't get much drying so will need to expect some shrinkage as it dries on the barn as siding.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

I think he meant limbed it

Stonebroke

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

customsawyer

If it is going up on the side of a barn then I would cut it and then nail it up with enough over lap that it can shrink and still cover the area with out cracks. Be sure to nail it up in a way that will let it shrink with out spliting the wood. If you dry it first you will have to nail it up to allow it to swell when it rains or snows.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Jim Spencer

I sheeted my pole barn barn with some of the most beautiful red oak I have ever seen.  I rough cut it on my Logosol Chainsaw mill and nailed it up right away.  I put boards as tight together as possible with staggered nails so boards would not split while shinking.  I used boards in a vertical position and put 1/2"thick X 1-1/2"wide oak over the cracks between the boards.  I believe you call this board and batton construction,(don't matter as it worked great for me).  Looks very nice.  Stained side of barn after I had it up.  Used the red oak because I had lots of dead oak logs about 18" to 24" in diameter.  The horizontal pieces I nailed it to were about 3 foot apart and nailed to the 6X6" posts.  I did not plane the boards but chainsaw finish was very smooth.  Really does look great and nails kept boards nice and straight.
Jim

solidwoods

I'd mill it and hang it quick.  Don't let it dry much before use.
Especially if its thin lap siding, it will dry quick and cup before you can get it up.
I'd also use the new type of nails approved for pressure treated.  Plain steel nails will rust/streak.
A coating of Outdoor deck preservative would go a long way also.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!