iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about quote email.......part two

Started by Jim_Rogers, November 10, 2009, 07:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Are any of you guys getting this email:

Hi
  Jeffery Ast is my name and i would like you help me place an order some lumber and below is the full details of what i am requesting

Hardwood
Size :2x4x8
Quantity: 500 pieces

I will be grateful if you could get back to me with the  pick up price for the 500 pieces in quantity of this  material plus tax as i am not exempt and also advice on system of payments and contact details,Don't hesitate to email me with what you have or make if you dont have what i am requesting .
Regards
Mr Ast

I think it's too generic to be a for real request......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

paul case

i havent got that one jim, but i cant get some people to pay when they place an order in person. if you want to saw it send him a quote with a note that a 50% deposit is required on all orders   thats the way i do any new customer.p c
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jim_Rogers

James P.

Jim, that sounds like an phishing email , well several I got after listing a car on craigs list. Its a scam in my opinion. They sometimes mention they have someone else handling shipping and will send you a money order which you send extra funds to the guy who will handling the shipping. It sounds like that kind of fraud.

Dodgy Loner

Yep, it's a fraud. They'll attempt the same scam with all sorts of merchandise. My fiance had some football tickets for sale on Craigslist and got an email like that. The message is usually very generic, the English is usually poor, and they almost always want to send you extra money to forward to the person who will be handling the shipping. Ignore the email.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

sgschwend

Absolutely a fraud.

To slow these scammers: 

In your advertisement write:
For email customers please provide your phone number; true customers have phone numbers scammers do not.

It works for me.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

red oaks lumber

i don't see enough yet to write it off as a scam. he is simply asking you if this is something you can provide. alot of people request qoutes this way, very impersonal.
email him back with all your info. he's reqesting, see what happens next.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Tom

QuoteDon't hesitate to email me with what you have or make if you dont have what i am requesting .
Regards
Mr Ast

I wouldn't give the guy the time of day.  If he's really interested, and not just shotgunning the world, he'll come back with a better request.

He might be just sending this out from a list of email addresses.  If you answer him, it confirms that he has found a legitimate one with warm blood on the other end.

Jeff

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 10, 2009, 01:06:46 PM
i don't see enough yet to write it off as a scam. he is simply asking you if this is something you can provide. alot of people request qoutes this way, very impersonal.
email him back with all your info. he's reqesting, see what happens next.

Its absolutely a scam. Mail him back with all of red oak lumber's info instead. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Toolman

I just went through this after advertising my Sharpening business on Craigslist. I'll never advertise through them again. I've had at least 50 scammers contact me about business opportunities. I've had one claim to live overseas and supposedly owns land here in the states. Wanted to send me a check to cash for him, keep a portion of it for myself, then send him the rest....the scams went on and on.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

red oaks lumber

send it my way.. the worst thing it's just bogus.
why do you think it's a scam? cause he can't type or spell, then most f.f members are scammers, based on those rules.
i deal with people all over the world via email, all i see he is looking to see if you have that mat'l. he's not asking for your account numbers or s.s.number. if his next email starts to smell like fish walk away, but i won't ever walk away before i know the details.
  what would you have done if he called looking for pricing? most likely gave it to him. same result, different channel.
i'm not saying this is not a scam, just haven;t seen enough yet

red oaks lumber

earlier this summer a good friend of mine had horses forsale, they recived an email from someone not written very well wanting info about the horses. my buddy thought it was a joke or a scam so, he wasn't going to do anything with it ,finally his wife told him why not respond what can it hurt. so he did, turns out it was a couple from france, they flew over to meet them and see the horses, they bought one for$10,000.
not everything in life is a scam!

Cedarman

Got it too.  Simply deleted it.    It is a big scam.  I get 100's of legitimate requests for wood each year.  I can spot the difference.
If you think it is good, then say your terms are good check that clears before you ship.  You won't hear back from them.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dodgy Loner

You are correct, red oaks. Not everything in life is a scam. This email, however, is a scam.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Wudman

Scam emails are a daily occurrence.  However, last week I received something that was new for me.  I got a scam letter by US Mail.  The letter was addressed to me in care of my business at my Post Office Box.  It was post marked from Malaysia. 

The text was about like most.......I could get a portion of $120 million of Sadam Husseins money frozen in a bank account......I'm not sure where they gathered my address.  I suspect it was from the phone company as my company name was spelled incorrectly (as the phone company did when I connected the phone lines and I recieved junk mail after that with the incorrect name).  Anyway, it cost them the postage on an envelope. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Jim_Rogers

So, I just got another one....
Have any of you seen this one?

Hello,
My name is Mr. Phil Larry,I'm  looking  for Hardwood Flooring's to
order,I will like to know if you carry or can custom order Hardwoods
flooring's to be picked up at your store location when assembled for
pick up after payment.I will like to order the wood sizes  unfinished
red oak 3 1/4" X 3/4".Andi need  905.80sf as the quantity to order
plus sales tax.I would be expecting your email with the total price
asap and let me know your major credit cards accepted for payment.I am
looking forward to have a successful business with you.Warm
Regards.....................

Mr. Larry

york

Jim,
he wants your banking details-you should not even open his mail,flag and block,this guy on the mail server.....
Albert

Jim_Rogers

York:
I don't intend on replying at all.....

Radar67

I didn't see anything asking for banking details. He asked what credit cards the business would accept.

It sounds legitimate, but I would still be wary, especially if it is an overseas customer.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LeeB

Sounds like someone using stolen card numbers to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Google the enclosed sentence

"I would be expecting your email with the total price
asap and let me know your major credit cards accepted for payment.I am
looking forward to have a successful business with you"

and a raft of similar scams or ploys will google up. Interesting that the phrase is used over and over.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Can we start one of these and get the money to fund the FF?

wouldn't it be nice to rip of the scam artist for once........

Cedarman

The nice thing about Phil Larry was that he let us know it was a scam.  Just deleted it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Piston

It's sad that so many people probably fall for this type of thing, especially people who aren't very internet savvy and hear that craigslist is a good place to sell things....next thing you know someone wants to send you a check that sounds too good to be true....well it is! 

A Vietnamese friend of mine posted his Mercedes on Craigslist for sale, he isn't too accustomed to American scam artists and someone from overseas sent him a check for the car, for way too much money.  Turns out the guy 'accidentally' overpaid and wanted my friend to send him back the difference, gave him his banking and routing number, my friend actually tried sending the money to him since he thought it was okay, he had the money in the bank already so figured it was ligit, only problem was the scammer gave him the wrong numbers for his bank, missed a digit or something. 
Two days later all the money that he had in his bank from the check was taken out, it never cleared because it was a fake check and the bank took the money back.

For any of you who think this might not be a scam and it 'looks ligit' because he isn't asking for you bank info, your wrong, it is a guaranteed 100% scam, I'll put money on it. 

Glad you didn't fall for it Jim  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!