iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 55 keeps dying on me

Started by idaho04, November 09, 2009, 10:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idaho04

Well I have purchased a Makita DCS510 20. But my old Husky 55 is dying on me. I have a Husky 55, about 7 years old, never had problems before, never serviced, tuned up, or maintenance done. It started with stopping after a couple of hours work, but progressed, and now shuts down after about 10 seconds. I was wondering where to look, how to fix it. I was thinking that it could be fuel filter, carburator, but it could also be ignition module heating up, and other things. Anybody had a similar experience?

ladylake

Check for spark when it shuts off, if it has spark then the usual, fuel lines , clogged carb, plugged filter.  Maybe do a compression test .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

treedog

my 385 did the same thing about a year ago. it ended up just being a crack in the fuel line. a simple place to start.

John Mc

clogged up spark arrestor screen on the muffler?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

GASoline71

Well... no servcie, maintenance, or tune ups will do that.  :o

Clean the air filter and put a new fuel filter in it... maybe a new plug... EZPZ.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

logwalker

Sounds like a fuel line to me also.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

idaho04

I did not have much time to work on the Husky. But it won't run at all by now. I do suspect the fuel line or carburetor. But how do you check the spark? I din't see the spark even in the dark though the chainsaw would start. I worked on engines before and it would be easy to crank the engine and see the spark. I understand that it is pretty difficult to see the spark on the chainsaw. How do I tell is I have spark?

GASoline71

You check the spark on a saw just like in a car.  pull the plug and insert it into the terminal.  ground the side of the plug on a cooling fin, and pull the cord.  You'll see spark.

It's easy to see a spark on a saw.  No different from a car or a mower.

Did you check the fuel filter yet?  Has it ever been replaced?

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

John Bartley

Crack in a fuel pickup line
Plugged fuel filter in the tank
Plugged screen at the inlet of the carburetor
Cracked pulse line
Cracked intake manifold boot.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Rocky_J

Quote from: John Mc on November 10, 2009, 09:00:30 AM
clogged up spark arrestor screen on the muffler?

This is my vote, as this problem exists on almost every piece of equipment brought to me by friends asking if I might be able to get it running again. Whether or not it is the only problem is another matter.

Al_Smith

True ! They don't run worth a hoot if they can't breathe .

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 13, 2009, 05:08:20 AM
True ! They don't run worth a hoot if they can't breathe .

I'm curious if you guys often see other causes for a clogged muffler screen besides running too rich.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Rocky_J

Most two cycle oil will leave carbon residue when it is burned. The exception is the synthetics. I ran regular Stihl mix oil (orange bottle) for a few years and the carbon buildup was horrible. I've opened mufflers of saws that had used Stihl oil for years and they have all been heavily caked with carbon and sludge. On the other hand, I've run either Echo or Stihl synthetic (black bottle) for the last 5 years and I've seen a distinct lack of carbon buildup in the mufflers.

Al_Smith

There are a lot  of opinions on why a saw carbons and I 'm sure the oil has a lot to do with it .

I don't let my saws idle for an extended period of time .They are either cutting or shut off .  They have very little carbon build up .I can't say my way is best but it seems to lessen the carbon build up . Then too the ones I use the most have been worked over a tad bit regarding the porting and mufflers and I'm sure that figures into the mix also .

jteneyck

If you're still having problems, take off the muffler and take a look at the piston/ring to see if they are scored.  I have a Husky 55 that has burned through 3 pistons, for a reason that still alludes me.  And when the piston gets fried the saw will run for a few seconds and then quit.  Hope it's something else, but this saw seems to be a piston eater. 

idaho04

While I bought new DSC510 I am trying to repair my old H55. It really comes down to not getting a spark. I did purchase a new ignition module, even though most everybody said it is not it, and they were right, it did not help. There is not much left there, except the module installation (distance from the flywheel magnets) and the flywheel. Anybody has experience with these? Can the magnets on the flywheel wear out? What else should I try?

ladylake

Try leaving the kill switch wire off and make sure the wire isn't shorted out.  Did this new coil come with a wire or did you screw the old one in, if so try a new wire. Also I've had saws that I swore didn't have spark yet they run, it is hard to see that spark on some.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

idaho04

The new module came with a wire. But I had to install the end connector and the boot. I will try to wire it hard to test. I know it may be hard to see the spark, but i did see the spark before, also when I tried the new module first time it did not run. I am running out of ideas.

ladylake

Did you try a couple different new plugs, sometimes even a new one is no good. Those end caps can go bad also.   Steve

DR_Buck

Fuel Line.....

Same problem on my Husky Rancher 55 two yrs ago.   Pain in the butt to change.    Also,  my Husky 55 dose not have a real bright spark and it is hard to see.   But if you hold it and pull the starter, it will knock you on your a$$!  :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ladylake

I'm not brave enough to hold on to the plug wire.  Dump a couple on teaspoons of mix down the plug hole , put it on fast idle or hold the throttle open and give it about 10 pulls it should fire by then if it has spark.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!