iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heart Attack Survivors

Started by Burlkraft, November 09, 2009, 10:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I was wonderin' if any of you feel like I do about yer next heart attack ?

My rehab and recovery was long and painful with not quite the end result I was hoping for.
I always carry my nitro, but I told Jill that if she's around to let me sit down and have my attack and she should take a nitro or two.

I have always felt this way, but others seem to think I should not have this attitude.

So I was just wonderin' if it was just me or if others have this same feeling?

Inquiring minds wanna know  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Burlkraft

Before ya'll start freakin' out........

I belong to a survivors forum and that is the topic of debate right now.

To veg or not to veg.

I was just wonderin' how many sawyers would want to spend their days starin' out the window at their mill?

Tom

I can't speak for a heart attack, but I get the same sense of mortality.  My ailment also involves the damage of heart and lung tissue and recovery is long.  I don't think of dieing .  I didn't think of dieing when I was diagnosed, nor during the initial recovery.  It was only after the week in the Hospital that I realized how lucky I had been.  Unlike damaged muscle, much of my damage is lung tissue and arteries. Blood thinners are my only medication and I'm in the process of being taken off of them. Fear comes only when I lie on my back and try to go to sleep.  But, even then, the Oxygen is a wonderful comfort.

I sit in my window and look at my sawmill. So far, walking to it is too much of a job, running it is a dream.  I can't make myself get well, I have to heal the same as if I had been cut, or suffered bad frostbite.  It's been a year, to the month, September.  Recovery may be tomorrow or another year from now.  I don't plan on dieing.

Gary_C

Not sure it's the same, but I take all the questions I get about working in the woods alone and just brush them off. I don't have time to worry about those things.

And I approach any health or injury issues as merely a bump in the road of life and something to deal with and overcome. I will do everything I can to stay safe and healthy, but never spend any time worrying about the "what if's."

Guess I am just an optimist or farmer, always believe that next year will be better. If it isn't, there's always the next year.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

Wow Tom that sounds serious. I'm glad yer gettin' better.

I'm not saying I want to die or anything like that, but if I was to have another severe heart attack I don't know as I'd try to save myself. Believe me you know when yer having one weather it's a big one or not.

Who knows, I might not have time to take nitro next time.

DanG

I feel pretty much the same as Gary_C about this.  I suppose it may be because I was introduced to mortality a long time ago, but I just don't worry about the end of life.  I do worry about the prospect of being crippled and helpless, but not about being handicapped.  As long as I have the capacity to take care of myself, I feel like I could find something to make life seem worth living.

Steve, you got a link to that survivor's forum?  I'd like to look in on it. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Burlkraft

Quote from: DanG on November 10, 2009, 09:54:11 AM
Steve, you got a link to that survivor's forum?  I'd like to look in on it. :)

Sure thing it's www.imsurvivor.com

The guy who runs it is Rob. A fairly new site that is growing fast.

A good section on NDE (near death experiences)

Check it out

Ernie

I've had six of them and am full of stents got to keep away from the MRI machine :D.  So far no open heart surgery but I ALWAYS have my GTN in my pocket or beside the bath or on the bed table.

When the Lord calls, I'm ready to go  but I'm really in no hurry, the grass looks good from this side.

I usually joke that every morning, I throw back the covers and look down---- No toe tag, I am in for a great day.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom

Ernie,
An old-timer friend of mine once told me that he knew it was a great day when he sat up and put both feet on the floor.  :)

DanG

Quote from: Tom on November 10, 2009, 11:56:46 PM
when he sat up and put both feet on the floor.  :)

Hey, that's what I'm gonna do at my wake. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

My grandfather and his brother both went out quietly. Although, my grandfather had gone blind 3 years before, he was otherwise fine except for being out of shape. He was just waiting to go and had no interest in even learning to be blind. He couldn't hunt and fish no more so life wasn't fun no more. Both those old guys just knew when it was time and each told their sons just hours before. Almost like someone turned the lights out.

They were 25 years older than you guys. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

A very good question. And I have no idea because I am still able to get up and around.But things can change very fast at times.I would feel as long as someone can get up and around and do things for themselves,that would be better than not being here.I use to go visit one of my Father's friends,in his 80's, that was probably like you.He would sit around and say how he was no good for nothing,can't do nothing. This was from a fellow that raised his family and was use to being out side in his younger years.Family need us around for many years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

I had a "mio cardio infarction" (fancy name for a type of heart attack) in March of 1995.
Been on a dose of pills every since.
It was caused by a small blood clot, the size of a pin-head in one of the small arteries on the front of my heart!
The angioplasty cleared it.  No stents back then!
I've been doing pretty good, but over the past year or so, I get short of breath once in a while!
Just last year, my Dr. visits were extended to once a year rather than twice a year.
And yes, I do carry my nitro.  Very, very rarely take one, in fact I've given others a nitro here and there more than I've used myself!

So, I plan to run my mill as long as I'm physically able!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!