iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Field Day

Started by Magicman, November 07, 2009, 03:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

:)  Today we had a very successful Lincoln County Forestry Ass'n Field Day.  "Pine Straw Harvest for the Landscaping Market" was the topic.  Speakers covered marketing, herbicides, fertilization, and harvesting methods.  We learned a lot to determine whether we would be interested in pine straw harvest or not.  We had over 100 landowners in attendance and  good lunch featuring brisket.

I even met Pinenut.  He is the first fellow FF member that I have met.

The entrance to the property

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

That looks like a good time.
Would you explain the entry way to the property.  The cowboy on the left, leading the horse and the one kneeling at the cross on the right, begs for an explanation.  :D

Burlkraft

Looks like ya got an awesome place there Magicman   8)  8)  8)

The event looked well attended too
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

Quote from: Tom on November 07, 2009, 06:14:05 PM
Would you explain the entry way to the property.  The cowboy on the left, leading the horse and the one kneeling at the cross on the right, begs for an explanation.  :D

The Acy family graciously hosted our Fall Field Day.  They are a logging family that rides horses as a hobby.  They participate in several "Trail Rides" through out the year.  I only know that Mr. Acy is very proud of his entrance.

You should see his home.  I sawed most of the lumber that is used throughout the construction.  Different species in each room, exposed beams, etc.  If you look down the drive and to the left, you see logs that are waiting for me to saw... 8)

Quote from: Burlkraft on November 07, 2009, 06:34:54 PM
Looks like ya got an awesome place there Magicman

Not mine, but I agree, very beautiful.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Looks like a good time MM.  I had considered going when you first mentioned it.  Too far for someone with less than 10 acres of pine.   Nice looking spot.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pigman

Quote from: Magicman on November 07, 2009, 03:49:00 PM
...... good lunch featuring brisket.

I even met Pinenut.  He is the first fellow FF member that I have met.

I am sure if more us  had known about the lunch featuring brisket, you would have met a lot more forum members. ;D digin_2
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

Quote from: pigman on November 07, 2009, 10:13:30 PM
I am sure if more us  had known about the lunch featuring brisket, you would have met a lot more forum members. ;D digin_2

If you use the right "bait" you can catch a fish.  I had my face full and didn't take a picture of the chow line..... :D

Coon

You should have been set up there with your saw and doing a demonstartion.  ;) You could have had some free labour there without a doubt. I'm sure you could have shown them the efficiency of a well tune woodmizer.  :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Warbird

That looks fun!  Glad it was successful. 

Mooseherder

That looks like a beautiful piece of property Magicman.
I had a gentlemen call me last week wanting to collect the Pine Straw underneath my Red Pine Stand.
He has 200 Blueberry Plants ordered for next Spring and his research said one of the ingredients to correct the PH of the ground ahead of time is Pine Straw.  I gave him permission to go ahead but advised him he would be getting a call in the future for help on growing Blueberry Bushes. :)

Magicman

Quote from: Coon on November 07, 2009, 10:50:11 PM
You should have been set up there with your saw and doing a demonstartion.  ;) You could have had some free labour there without a doubt. I'm sure you could have shown them the efficiency of a well tune woodmizer.  :D

Brad.

Funny thing is that is exactly what happened on my first experience with the Forestry Ass'n.  The host for that event approched me about setting up and giving a sawing demonstration during a Field Day.  I did, and ended up joining.  That day brought in a ton of free advertisement and many new customers.

I would encourage anyone that is not a member of their Forsetry Ass'n, to join and become active.  You'll learn a lot plus it's good for your sawing business.

Thank You Sponsors!