iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who's in the Triangle area of North Carolina

Started by rockman, November 07, 2009, 08:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockman

I am seriously considering a portable mill, I would like to meet and talk to as many owners as possible before I take the plunge. I am in the Southern Granville county area.
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

mrnero

Quote from: rockman on November 07, 2009, 08:53:31 AM
I am seriously considering a portable mill, I would like to meet and talk to as many owners as possible before I take the plunge. I am in the Southern Granville county area.
Hi rockman, I was considering in purchasing a used portable mill a few years back, but that was soon changed. Having my own logs was not a problem. But maketing your product and trying to competing with other local portable mills and the initial cost of the mill did seem to be a profitable business. I check in the yellow pages and found to be 6 to 8 portable and custom sawing mills within 100 miles from me which it didn't seem feasable to me at that time to purchase a portable mill. It was best (cost wise) for me to ship my logs to the mills instead. Furthermore, how are you going to compete with the big box store lumber prices too !!.  Secondly, If you had a contract to produce large amount of bd ft (e.g. custom sawing) to a few wholesale manufactures would be a plus for you. but in todays market, thats few and far between. Most of your customers base will be looking for the bottom dollar per bd ft., plus the profit margin in custome sawing, seems to be very low. Consider in looking at all aspects before you make the big plunge. Good luck
Just my own thoughts

rockman

mrnero, thanks for the thoughts and comments. I guess I should have said first It will be a hobby mill NOT a business. I am interested in seeing different set ups, brands of mills etc.
Husqvarna 455 rancher

Magicman

Quote from: rockman on November 07, 2009, 08:53:31 AM

Well, it all depends upon which market you are considering going after.

I don't sell lumber.  My market is 100% portable mill service.  I move in, saw the customer's logs to his specification, and then move on to the next customer.  There are many ways to generate free advertisement for this market which I will gladly share.  Many are described in my previous posts.  Even as a hobby, there's nothing wrong with turning a buck $$$.... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

I'm Durham and you're welcome to see my setup. e-mail me.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Rockman,having a small mill as a hobby is a good way to get into milling, no pressure,no market worries,leasurly learning,its a fun machine.Later on if you turn a buck thats like ice cream on your pie.Don't just shop price,get a good mill,used is a option in todays market.Also consider a swing mill.If you find one local sawyer he'll know where the outhers are there are probibly more hobbiests than commercial.Offer to help spend some time learning and you will know exactly what you want.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Joel Eisner

I am in the Chapel Hill side of Chatham  and have a Lumbermate 2000 set up for personal use.  You are welcome to PM me and stop by.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

mcfcfan

Hi Rockman,
Lee here from Peterson, the link to our web site second from top, i have a rep in New Canton VA who would be willing to talk to you and or demo for you.
USA Reps details are all under the contact sectionof the web site, good luck with your research.
Regards
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

mrnero

Quote from: rockman on November 07, 2009, 04:09:58 PM
mrnero, thanks for the thoughts and comments. I guess I should have said first It will be a hobby mill NOT a business. I am interested in seeing different set ups, brands of mills etc.
What I gather, It appears that saw milling is an expensive hobby to get into. What the heck, go fo it! good luck

pasbuild

One can get into a  manual saw mill for less then the cost of 4wheeler / snowmobile / motor cycle
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

rockman

Quote from: pasbuild on November 08, 2009, 06:07:15 PM
One can get into a  manual saw mill for less then the cost of 4wheeler / snowmobile / motor cycle
I hear that, I don't have a 4 wheeler or snowmobile, but I do have motorcycles, tractors, welders and such, although I am in heavy construction/mining, I come from a long line of wood craftsman, never had any interest in it when I was younger, last couple years I have been getting more involved in wood.
Husqvarna 455 rancher

LUCASMILLDO

hi, dj here from bailey's logging supply...
here's a link to a lucas mill demonstration in your area...
just click on your state, and you'll see a list of my happy customers ready
to demo for you...

dj  1-800-322-4539 ext 233
http://www.baileysonline.com/brp/referrals.htm

scsmith42

Rockman, I have a Peterson WPF swing mill and am located about 30 miles SW of Raleigh (New Hill, NC).  Joel and Bob are each about 30 minutes north of me. 

You could probably make a day of it visiting all three of us.  We each have different manual mills and different setups.  Joel an I are both stationary, and Bob is mobile.  Bob is totally manual (even log loading), Joel is partially automated (tractor to assist with log loading), and I use skid loaders and a backhoe for log handling.

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rockman

Thats Awsome... I can't think of a better way to spend a day. Although I will be working away from home for the next couple months I'm not sure how it will fit my schedule. Thanks for the reply, I'll keep in touch.

Kevin
Husqvarna 455 rancher

Thank You Sponsors!