iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tach Question

Started by WH_Conley, November 06, 2009, 08:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Wanting to hook a tach to my 25HP Kohler. Being cheap, Being cheap, I already have a tach that came off a gas engine, Sunpro, old engine had a coil, hooked to the hot side. Can it be hooked up on the Kohler, and how?
Bill

logwalker

Those are typically set for a certain number of cylinders. Some times they have a switch to set it. What is it off of? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

pineywoods

Kohler probably has electronic ignition. forget it, splurge $10 and get a bicycle speedometer and put it on the bandwheel. Much better all around.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

You could get a small proximity tach like they use for chainsaws.You just need it to check throttle setting no need to watch it all the time.Give or take a little RPM on a bandmill dosen't mean much.Stewart Warner makes a dandy hand held tach with a rubber nub to check RPM's.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mrnero

Quote from: WH_Conley on November 06, 2009, 08:06:35 PM
Wanting to hook a tach to my 25HP Kohler. Being cheap, Being cheap, I already have a tach that came off a gas engine, Sunpro, old engine had a coil, hooked to the hot side. Can it be hooked up on the Kohler, and how?
Hi WH_, The way you explained ( ..coil .. hot side..) sounds like you have an external coil setup( e.g with ingition points) from an old engine.  I think that most newer Kohler engines has internal coils setup ( enclosed coil .. activates while fly wheel spins ... no ignition points ). Therefore, I believe that the (external coil) electric tach that you have won't work with a (internal coil) setup. Try Kohler or JCwhitney. If you buy a new electric tech, make sure you purchase a tach that operates on "BOTH" 1 and 2 impulse ignition systems.

WH_Conley

Pretty much what I thought. Just wanted to check and make sure. Thanks guys.
Bill

sdunston

Quote from: pineywoods on November 06, 2009, 10:42:28 PM
Kohler probably has electronic ignition. forget it, splurge $10 and get a bicycle speedometer and put it on the bandwheel. Much better all around.
I think PINEYWOODS is on to something here, this would not olny let you monitor blade speed but miles per blade change.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Fred

How many miles can one put on a band blade? 
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

pineywoods

Quote from: Fred on November 10, 2009, 10:09:28 AM
How many miles can one put on a band blade? 
Might be interesting to track. Likewise, how many miles before it gets dull. I put the speedometer on mine to get a handle on blade speed. I have a whole new respect for broken blades after seeing the band speed runs pretty close to 50 mph. Only problem I have had is the button battery doesn't last very long, and the magnet on the bandwheel has come loose a couple of times.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!