The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: pine coming back?  (Read 5717 times)

Offline semologger

• Senior Member x2
Re: pine coming back?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 11:32:57 pm »
Sorry the logs are 8 foot even

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
I've just had 53MBF marked by my forester for sale off my own land, 80% of it is 18"+ dbh and straight.  I'm hoping to get over $100/MBF for it in my pocket.  Mills around here seem to be actively buying EWP.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 04:21:44 pm »
It seems to me that New England  is the biggest market in these parts for EWP from conversations on the forum. But the mills here have pretty much been shut off for pine for awhile. I see in the market pages most not buying pine until further notice. About the only buyer around here is Irving. I see $400 mbf for 16'-6" footers, min.10" top , up to 40" but end, , 1" knots in their Doaktown mill.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 06:03:18 am »
well I must be lucky, because the yard I sell to has a contract with Irving.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 05:30:50 pm »
I figured it had to be Irving behind it. ;)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 07:43:45 pm »
funny how the scale stick gets long and sweet when they need logs.... :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:34 am »
Years ago they thought they could entice woodlot owners to cut the one standing pine on their woodlot and gather those lonely logs. Most people don't bother with pine in my local area, because what do you do with one or two pine logs? The majority of white pine was logged a century ago around here and usually 1 or two old pine on a lot and many lots none. The logistics of gathering up those lonely logs would be impossible and desperate. They never did get anyone interested and they sure weren't about to go gather them with their own truck.

Dirty Harry

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 07:12:14 am »
It seems I have found a good niche, picking up tree service trees from companies too small to have a log truck.  Today I am going to the next town over for a single pine tree and one red oak butt log.  When I get that home I should be able to cobble a full truck and trailer load from the 2 loads of the pine and hardwood I picked up friday that was mostly firewood with a few shorter harwoods and three nicer 16 foot pines.  then I will do a delivery to the concentration yard in milford tomorrow and pick up more pine in dunstable mass on the way home.

now that I have the blue ox, I always have logs for my sawmill orders and will easily top 100 thousand bd ft of sold logs.