iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any suggestions?

Started by profaller, November 04, 2009, 12:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

profaller

I feel the way me grandad did when they came out with the power saw, Ive lost three cutting jobs in the last few years to mechanical harvesters. Today their pumping out the wood but there is not enough room for old men like me. any suggestions?

chucker

yupp! i know just how you feel!! join the old timers club like i did... www.minnesotagreatoutdoors.com and check out chuckers (woodchucks) site with everything you can do now....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

fishpharmer

I am an amateur timberfaller at best.  I just wanted to welcome you to forestry forum. 

I don't mean to oversimplify, but have you considered learning to run a mechanical harvester?

Seems like your experience with a saw would give you an edge over someone without that experience.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

profaller,  Welcome to FF.  I know very well how you feel.... smiley_chop..... smiley_old_guy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

welcome
ya, their pumping out wood left and right. their also pumping them selfs right out of work can you say "overproduction" if alittle is good alot is better right? not when it comes to wood production.
if you want to keep working in the woods, learn the mechanical machines. my dad always says " it's an ever changing world learn to adapt"
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

islandlogger

Them bloody harvesters really hit a nerve with me, I lost a position as well to one of those and swore I wouldn't again and opened my own business. The smaller wood lot owners don't want one of them things chewing through their woods but they still want to sell the timber...not everyone is in a position to open up a business I realize, so target the harvesters week points, no good on slopes and they can only handle trees up to a certain size, it's a hard industry to keep a job in so I realize cutting jobs are hard to come by, but invest the time to look up smaller companies etc and see if you can find a spot, persist long enough and some thing will come up. Other wise, I dont want to but have to agree with the above, it's a ever changing world, maybe bite the bullet and learn to operate the very thing that put you out.

Best of luck and really hope something happens for ya!!

islandlogger

By the way where do you call home??

profaller

grew up in mn but wherever im logging feels like home i liked mt except for the winters  after cutting timber for fourty years its too late to think of any thing else God willing there is 10 years left

stonebroke

In the Northeast hand falling is the norm not the exception(except maybe maine) this is probably due to our relatively high value hardwoods and the difficult terrain.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!