iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did you get started Wood Working?

Started by BcWoodWorks, November 03, 2009, 08:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BcWoodWorks

Hello everyone! smiley_wavy

I'm Alec, I'm 20, I'm new to the forum, and generally new to the wood-working scene. I'm looking forward to talking with all of you. For starters though...

A rather simple question; What got you fired up and started with your wood-working "careers"?
Was it a family member, or did you just get bored and start chipping away at something?
How long ago was that?
What was your first project?

My fire-starter was a Cherry / Redwood burl table that Steve (Burlkraft) made for me this summer. It's got me wanting to build my own misc. things...Equipment donations are accepted.  :D

Just a way to get to know you all better/Idea hunt on how to get myself started.

I'm interested to hear your replies.  ;D
-A
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

Hilltop366

Hi Alec and welcome

I never liked working with wood it was always metal and gas powered equipment and toys for me, I started being more interisted in woodwork around 20 years ago for a change of pace the knowledge has proved to be very handy when building my house 10 years ago, you can save thousands of dollars in building cost ( the only things I did not do when building my house was the electrical and troweling the concrete floor) everything else was done by myself sometimes with help from friends or family although it took a lot of time it was a big $$ saver and very satisfying.

For tools I watched the sale flyers and used stuff adds and garage sales and bought a little bit at a time always trying to get good quality tools.

You could try to see if some one offers night courses or weekend workshops to get some "learn'in" an acess to some gear.

Cheers and good luck on your endeavors.

Radar67

I got the bug in 8th grade wood shop. First project was a bookcase, still have it today. That was back in 79. I moved up to residental construction in 81 and later over to commercial construction. Spent several years running a cabinet shop, and off and on, just playing with stuff around the house.

Pick up your tools as you go and it won't seem like it costs as much to get started.

Welcome aboard!  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Larry

This is my very first project...circa 1958 or so.

Sis broke his nose off and I'll never forgive her. ;D  Notice the attention to detail and the immaculate design? :D :D :D

Dad pushed me along a bit as he was a woodworker.  Took shop classes in High School which helped with my education.  First full time job was in a sign shop but we did a lot of wood working and cabinet making.

A long interruption than a gradual and slow return.  I hope to get back to making something for beauty and design rather than function (kitchen cabinets).

At your age...join a woodworking club and try to find a mentor.  If you have the drive and desire there are schools.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

low_48

I got fired up in Junior High when we started Industrial Arts classes. 1965. Kinda stayed on the back burner till I got married. I wanted to go drag racing, the wife wanted furniture. Built my first coffee table on a second hand kitchen table as a bench. Bought every issue of Fine Woodworking and taught myself. Luckily I was able to build up a basement shop, and didn't have to work on that kitchen table very long. Started with all Craftsman tools, then would sell a piece of furniture, then buy better machinery. I left my day job as an designer/draftsman in 1987 and opened a custom woodworking shop. Closed that to go to work for Woodworker's Journal Magazine as a project builder/designer. Publishing business is cut throat and the magazine closed, then sold. Went back to a day job after the 8 year business, and 3 year magazine job. Then after a year I got the job as Modelmaker for the largest construction machinery manufacturer in the world. There's only two of us, but a pretty sweet job. So been professional woodworker for 25 years now. Still do it in the basement too. Mostly turning now at home.

Welcome to the forum, good luck.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Family member? Good lord no. As mother would explain it, it had something to do with a wooden plug and a dog. Poor dog. :D

Built my first project in grade 4, actually the teacher had the pieces all cut and we made napkin holders. I still have that darn thing right here in front of me. Also, like Radar got the bug in shop class and I too have my first project, a pine shelf and my second a red oak bowl. That was awhile ago, even though I ain't an old fart yet. :D

My first tool was an axe and buck saw, actually. I would go out to the woodlot and make lean-tos from fir bows and cut a yellow birch to make paddles and axe handles. Widdled them all out by axe. I never made a lot, this was winter pass times. I later turned part of my barn into a shop and gradually acquired tools over 20 years. Filled the rest of the barn with hardwood lumber cut from timber from the woodlot and small acquisitions from local hardwood sawmills and lumber broker. The lumber broker has cherry and walnut that you can't get otherwise. I have sawed some cherry from my own ground and got some decent lumber, but cherry is odd ball up here and mostly open grown.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

As a kid , watching an addition being built.  Saw guys making something.  Using Dad's tools.  Making stuff here at the farm.  Scouting crafts.

Teach kids to make stuff from scratch and avoid kits!!!

Read in a book every day,  work on a project every day,  work on your maintenance list every day , tell your wife you love her every day.   It's a good life......
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Ironwood

Morale support activities in the military. Photography, stained glass, pottery and woodshop.

Another great benefit to serving your country. Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodsteach

I'd say around the age of 10 for Christmas I got a kids hand tool set in a wooden briefcase looking thing.  Then I enrolled in 4H woodworking and build 4H bookends.

Next was 6th grade shop class Mr. Burenheide just happened to be my neighbor!! 8)  After our 6 weeks of woods class I was officially hooked.  Mr. B let me turn a couple of bowls on his Shopsmith at his garage.  It has been downhill ever since.

Since the 6th grade (1982) I've had 2 years when I wasn't either in a woods class or teaching them.  Ok that is the first time I've thought about when it all started.  I'm getting old.

woodsteach

As I'm home today w/my youngest (she has been ill) she just told me to come and see what she was doing.  She was building a light house and castle out of WOOD blocks.  So I get to thinking maybe I started before the age of 10  ;D ;D.

I can hardly take my kids to the mill or the shop when they aren't diving into the scrap pile to drag back to the house to construct something so look out there might be 3 blonde female woodteachers in the future.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

BcWoodWorks

Wow. Your replies have all been awesome! I appreciate the input guys.

Woodsteach - Sounds like you had the foundation to start a long-lasting and rewarding hobby. I think it's really cool the kids are getting into it; just goes to show...computers can only do so much. Passing it on to the next Gen. is important. Good post bud.

Ironwood - Must have been a nice MOS you had. I'm working on enlisting myself, and I can only imagine the looks on my recruiters face if I asked him if I could lathe a chair leg after Infantry school.

Lud - You tell your wife you love her everyday? Must not have been married too long!  :D (just kidding of course) Sounds like you've got a pretty solid routine down. What's on your maintenance list?

S-Donkey - So THAT'S what happened to lassie. I was starting to wonder...  :)  It seems like those first projects always stick with you. Lean-to's and axe handles hey? Now there's a modest start, I like it. I've tried whittling, but the end product looks like a piece of wood that came out of a chipper  ???  Did the cherry sawing turn out alright? Ever turn it into anything?

Low48 - Thanks for the kind Welcome pal. That's one heck of a resume you've got. What would you say was your favorite out of those jobs? Did you enjoy the publishing while it was still going? What kind of furniture did you make when you first started? I'm sure the wife was happy when you turned to furniture instead of drag cars hey?  ;D So you taught yourself from Fine Woodworking's magazines eh? All fingers still accounted for?  ;)

Larry - Sisters are trolls aren't they? The engineering on that Rhino is just...Smithsonian worthy! Any projects lined up for your epic return to wood-working? I live in Northern California; so I'm sure I should be able to find a club if I dig. Finding a mentor I can actually learn from though, that might be a bit harder. I certainly would like to get started somewhere. Excellent post Larry.

Radar - Thanks for the welcome! Excellent way of putting it. How's that book-case holding up?  I'm curious ; where should I start for collecting tools? Machines are a little out of my reach until work comes around; but surely there's a starting block somewhere. Not sure how I feel about construction; do they teach you the job basics; or are you expected to know a certain amount before you start? Cheers for the reply man.

Hilltop -  That's a great point. The cost of housing as it is; knowing how to DIY seems extremely important. I realized the importance of that, working on a Gazebo with Burlkraft last month. The ability to saw ones own logs, and turn them into a structure is amazing; and quite sensible too. I'll keep my eyes on the for sale ads; and for some classes. Thanks for the suggestions, and the good luck wishes. :)

I've almost finished with my first project which was started at Burlkrafts shop. I'll upload a picture if you guys want to see it?

Alright, I need to go take a walk in the redwoods. All this W.Working talk gets me antsy!

Have a good one dudes :)
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

SwampDonkey

Quote from: BcWoodWorks on November 04, 2009, 10:39:25 AM
S-Donkey - So THAT'S what happened to lassie. I was starting to wonder...  :)  It seems like those first projects always stick with you. Lean-to's and axe handles hey? Now there's a modest start, I like it. I've tried whittling, but the end product looks like a piece of wood that came out of a chipper  ???  Did the cherry sawing turn out alright? Ever turn it into anything?

Cherry turned out fine, and after air drying I made a queen sized bed, head board and foot board of cherry. Last winter made the plinth to my butternut blanket chest from local cherry. Rails in my coffee table and some marquetry inlay in the coffee table from cherry. The rails were from PA cherry. Also a pedestal stand, the pedestal was turned from PA cherry. The later 3 projects are posted to this board. Gotta dig a little. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

BC,

Nice pointed reponses.  ;)

I dont know your backround, but enlisting (I getting a GOOD job/MOS) is a life expanding event for many. You will grow leaps and bounds and hopefully expanded your mind. I came from a small town and for me to "get away" was the most formative event in my life. I had not too much to look forward to at home, no money for school ,or potentially good job prospects. It was the single best trajectory change in my entire life. It has built from there. I excellled in my MOS (honor graduate, Defende Mapping School) and then an assignment in Kansas until Spec Ops was looking for a strong canidate for a new targeting team. I never did great in school (didn't care to), but when I got into something I loved, the sky was the limit. From there things have always built on that solid foundation. College, jobs, self-employment, family, friends......

Enjoy the ride, love what you do.
                  Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Radar67

Quote from: BcWoodWorks on November 04, 2009, 10:39:25 AM
How's that book-case holding up?  I'm curious ; where should I start for collecting tools?
Not sure how I feel about construction; do they teach you the job basics; or are you expected to know a certain amount before you start?

The bookcase is holding up well, just as good as the day I brought it home from school.

I'm sure you can take classes on construction, but my experience was learn as you go. I started out carrying material for $50 a week, then moved into hammering nails, cutting boards, layout, and etc. So, finding a good contractor willing to teach is a good way to start.

As for Infantry, I can tell you from experience (2 years with 101st and 3 with 5th CAV) you will not have time to be in a wood shop. I've spent upwards of 280 days a year in a field environment. My advice would be, it you score well on the ASVAB test, take something other than combat arms. The Army does have a construction MOS that teaches framing and carpentry.

As for tools, if I had to select one power tool to start with, it would be a router. It is a pretty versatile tool if you learn how to use it and spend some time building jigs for it. A good hand saw or Skil saw (the Skil 77 is my favorite), hammer, and a few good chisels and you will be surprised what you can build.

As Ironwood says, the military is an experience of a lifetime, but be wise from the start and go into something to help you in the future.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ironwood

Look for an MOS that is not field oriented. Mine, 81Q Terrain Analysis was division G-2 and higher. So, not much field time. Intell analyst was the same. FYI

Ironwood

metalspinner

QuoteAs for tools, if I had to select one power tool to start with, it would be a router.

Agreed.  I dare say, most furniture project construction can be done with a router/router table alone - from rough wood to assembled piece.

I started out of neccesity.  After marriage, we needed furniture and we could not afford what I would have liked to have.  After a little convincing to my wife, I would purchase the wood and a needed tool then build something.  Looking back, it's amazing the amount of work I did with so little.

I learned mostly from margazine publications.  Woodworkers Journal was one of my favorates.  Lots of great info without all the glitz and stuffiness.

I can remember my first little project from way back in Junior high.  It was for history class.  We needed to make a model of something that reminded us of America.  My choice was the Washington Monument.  Seems simple enough, but mine was so good that the teach thought my dad made it and wanted to give me a zero.  >:(  After a parent/teacher conferance, it was pretty clear to her that Dad didn't know what was going on. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

It was just in my blood I guess.  I started out by hewing hickory for handles with a draw knife as a youngster.  Building my house required acquisition of many basic skills.  I did not really tool up to make serious projects until about 12 years ago.  Prior the that, everything was done with only a circular saw and basic hand tools.  Like Metalspinner, I am amazed with what I accomplished with so little tool capability. 

The sawmill gives me the capability to acquire the wood to build just about anything that I have the guts to try. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

It was all my Wood-Mizer's fault.  ;) After I bought my mill eleven years ago I soon had all of this nice wood. I didn't want to sell it , so I started building furniture. I bought a bunch of nice woodworking tools and started building.  I am amazed with what little I accomplished with so many tools . ;D 
I mostly tried to learn by watching TV Norm and reading some books.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Quote from: pigman on November 05, 2009, 12:04:36 PM
I am amazed with what little I accomplished with so many tools . ;D 

Yes, but you are perfectly positioned for the up-turn  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jdtuttle

I started out at about 3 yrs old with a hammer trying to hit ants on an asphalt sidewalk. Got pretty good 8). Started building cabinets right out of highschool with an old carpenter,we worked for a cheap lanlord & we built the cabinets out of old wooden crates. Moved to Montana & started framing residential & commercial. Became a foreman and shortly after started my own construction business. Now I'm a code officer that will retire in 2 years. Got my woodmizer, kubota, PH 260 moulder and woodshop to keep me entertained. Looking for a kiln in the near future. Just love the smell of fresh cut wood. ;D
jim
Have a great day

DouginUtah

Quote from: pigman on November 05, 2009, 12:04:36 PM

I mostly tried to learn by watching TV Norm and reading some books.

I just read the other day that this season will be the last for The New Yankee Workshop.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

WDH

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

zopi

I guess I got started by building a birdhouse or something in cub scouts...I inherited all my father in laws tools, so I had some stuff to play with, had a great grandfather who was a master carpenter, and another who was a master blacksmith..guess it is in my blood. I came to the sawmill out of economic necessity, wife wants wide board floors in the house and that coasts ans much as a new truck..sawmill was cheaper..I am now building my third building using only materials I have scrounged and milled myself..I have yet to pay for a log...had a guy wanted mto charge me 1500 dollars for a walnut farmyard tree the other day...and I 'd have to take it down and move it...uhh..no thanks..

anyway..I am alousy carpenter, mostly owing to the fact that I was a hardheaded little snot and wouldn't listen to my 7th grade shop teacher...sure wish I had him back.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

HOOF-ER

What will Norm do? Maybe he will show up more on this old house?

I have a abnormal thirst for knowledge. That is why I like it here at the FF.
My father always did everything him self. Built 2 homes before I was born. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I love building things, wish I had more time for woodworking. :(
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Brad_bb

I was into classic car restoration, metalwork, welding etc. since I was 14.  I never thought I would have any interest in woodworking(probably because I never knew how to cut wood straight or precisely).  Then in 2006 (age 35), I knew I wanted a nice home and someone turned me on to discover timber framing.  I knew I could learn how and build myself and save cost, and do some fine work.  It's all snowballed since then.  I've been acquiring "wood" tools ever since.  I got every thing I need for timber framing, I also bought a 1953 Delta Unisaw, and having worked designing tools for Bosch, I have some power tools from there as well as others.  I'm surprised how the wood bug has bitten me.  I do so much more in wood now.  I'm just finishing my first box jointed drawers.  I've build tool cabinets on wheels, fancy closed rod brackets for my mom, a neat garden planters box for trowels, shears etc.  and a lot of other small projects.  Timberframe workshops taught me a lot of important wood working skills.  Theory is the same, just on a different scale. ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!