iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Lathe Design

Started by Donald D, November 02, 2009, 11:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald D

Hi to all,

I am trying to design a lathe that will compliment (fit onto)my LT40 so I can turn logs for log cabins, then saw two flats on them. I built a fixture for cutting 45 degree angles for a notch on the side of a log, and on the ends of the logs to fit in the notch that works quite well and is very accurate. I would like to talk with anyone that has toyed with this concept. I have a steel fab shop with a CNC plasma table, brake, roll machine, lathe, track beveler, and so on, so the fab work is not a problem. I want to operate the future device with the mills hydraulic system, and keep it as simple as possible.  If you have any idea's, I'd love to talk with you.

Chico

I would get a pole machine pretty simple to use and keep up it's basically a debarker and a cutting head a lathe of the size your talking to peel the longer logs is going to be very expensive  most cabin cos use profile machines much like a planer but it'a shaper jmo
You could build one fairly easily with the tools you have but you can prob buy one right now cheaper than buying the metal
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Donald D

Thanks for the input. Your the only person that replied so either I'm way off base for trying to build this, or there is no need for it. I figure with my resources I can put it together for about $5,000.00. Rome was not built in a day....

Thank You Sponsors!