iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How are the Makita Chainsaws?

Started by idaho04, November 01, 2009, 04:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idaho04

I am looking in Bailey's catalog and they do not sell Sthl or Husky. Besides the Echo and Solo the are selling Makita, are they good chainsaws?

Cut4fun

John Mc

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 01, 2009, 06:18:36 PM
Makita = Dolmar dressed in blue

So is there a Makita equivalent of the Dolmar 5100?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tree Reb

The DCS5000 is the same I think, it has the same specs. They sell both here, if you can find a dealer..  http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-dcs5000-50cc-2-stroke-petrol-chainsaw-45cm-p8368

I was going to buy a 5100 last year after the big fuss about them on another forum, but there aren't many dealers around.

rickywashere

i love mine i have a dcs520 /// this saw was recovered from a flood after it sat in the mud for almost 2 months i bought it from a friend cleaned it up put a new plug in it flushed the motor wd40 on the rope case to clean added a little oil for lube new gas 3 cranks and been running fine since .. hope that helps ya on your choice.... also would like to add i backed over the handle got a Katrina recovered saw... for parts its running  now also

RSteiner

It appears that Makita like Dolmar there are two different grades of saws.  Dolmar has a 510 and a 5100 model that are the same in displacement but somewhat different in how they are put together.

From what I have seen Makita is the same way, both Makita and Dolmar are the same company made in Germany.  I have the Dolmar 5100 and really like the saw.  If the DCS5000 is the same saw as the 5100S then it should be a good saw also.

Randy
Randy

simplicityguy92

my neighbours got a older small makita and it works real good

patr

Hi

I have a Makita DCS 7901 with a 30" bar which I use on an Alaskan mill. It is a superb saw and I use it primarily on my own oak. I chose it after some pretty thorough research over the Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna equivalents including back to back comparisons at a chainsaw exhibition. I own two Stihls which have been excellent but the Makita won me over because it is a very powerful saw for its weight and it was considerably cheaper.  I have had it a year, it has never missed a beat and it starts first time every time. The decompression valve make starting very easy.

The Makita DCS 5000 is the chainsaw of choice of the British Army where it has been used and abused from Iraq to Afghanistan. The Makita's are just blue and grey versions of the Dolmar saws and they are built like the proverbial brick sh** house!

I am so pleased with my Makita's performance that I am going to replace my US built Stihl MS170, which has died after 8 years of great service, with a DCS 4610.

Pat

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Glad to hear you like your Makita. Will hope to hear more about what you use it for, and we like pics. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tree Reb

Welcome Pat, I was just looking at the DSC5001 in the link I posted earlier.

For $30 more you get a few extras. I'm thinking about getting one, again. smiley_book2_page

logwalker

I really like my 6401. When it is worn out I may out the big bore kit on it for $100 thru Baily's. I think it becomes a 84 cc then.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

WoodChucker81

^^^^^^

The 84cc kit is nice but it has some issues that need fixing.

The 7900 P&C are much more reliable.

dmartin

Quote from: WoodChucker81 on December 23, 2009, 03:00:13 AM
^^^^^^

The 84cc kit is nice but it has some issues that need fixing.

The 7900 P&C are much more reliable.
Woodchucker, what are the issues that need fixing?

WoodChucker81

^^^^^^

They need "fixing" by the manufacturer.  The P&C are a bit cheesy, sloppy, and cheap.  They've been noted to get hot and burn up - in an uncommon fashion.  The 7900 P&C are a much better setup.

dmartin

I guess you mean piston and cylinder by P&C. I just installed the 84 cc kit on a Makita 6400 and the fit and finish of the parts was great. The saw runs well but the carburator does need to be adjusted after the installation. Did you have one burn up in an "uncommon fashion"?
I haven't used the saw much since I installed the kit but the saw does run well and as the piston and cylinder fit well I'm not concerned about cheesy, sloppy and cheap. I'm hoping there are no problems down the road. Could you give some detail on the burning up in an uncommon fashion. Thanks.   

Thank You Sponsors!