iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop Floor?

Started by Bro. Noble, November 01, 2009, 03:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

My brother just had a building built for a wood shop.  The floor is 'advantech'.  What would you reccomend covering it with?

Thanks,  Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TeaW

What is this advantech?
TeaW

ScottAR

Avantech is an engineered wood product similar to OSB but
much more dense/heavy duty. Does the floor need to be
periodically replaced or stay there for the long haul?
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

DouginUtah

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on November 01, 2009, 03:43:27 PM
My brother just had a building built for a wood shop.  The floor is 'advantech'.  What would you reccomend covering it with?

Thanks,  Noble

Latex paint. Cream colored.

Or garage floor epoxy paint.

Then with woodworking equipment.  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Norm

I used it in my house and put down a polyurethane floor finish on to seal it in until I put carpeting down. I only used one coat but I'll bet 3 would hold up for a long time. Best thing any scratches would just need a little recoat to hide them.

Don_Papenburg

Norm is on the right track .  I would cover it with another layer then varnish it  I like a thicker floor ,much more stable.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

scsmith42

Advantech is good to use for a subfloor.  If it were me, I would install some type of hardwood or reclaimed pine floor over it.  There's nothing like a wood floor to add warmth to a woodshop.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

As I understand it, Advantech makes a great floor for humans to walk on.  If he's going to be rolling heavy machines around on it, it may just be a good subfloor like SCSmith said.  If it were mine, I would consider if the machinery was going to be fixed or portable.  If fixed, I would just place the machines on 4/4 material and walk on the Advantech floor, but if portable, I would top it with a full 4/4 floor.  Does your Brother know anyone with a sawmill? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

I used the same thing but a differnt manufacturer in my case it is I-Level. I've found that it is a bit bouncy as you can feel anyone walking across it. I hope to get the bounce out of it with a real wood floor like Scott mentioned.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SamB

I'll side with those who say cover it with wood. Advantech is an excellent choice for a sub floor more forgiving to moisture than OSB or plywood, but for additional strength and stability in a wood shop, IMO,  I'd go with ¾" T&G or 4/4 planks run perpendicular to the floor joists.

IMERC

Thanks,  Noble

avantech doesn't like abuse...
but that aside..

oil base prime and then the decking paint of yur choice..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Bro. Noble

Thanks for the advice.  If I am asked my opinion,  I will pass along the options that you have presented.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

IMERC

Thanks,  Noble

something else...
the advantech is ruff enough despite the paint job to make sweeping up difficult..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

ksu_chainsaw

This is my opinion on this- the thickness will determine how thick the top layer needs to be.

If he used a standard 3/4" panel, I would lay down rosin paper then cover with 1/2" BC T&G plywood, then cover with 1/8" rubber matting in the high traffic areas.

I used to work in a carpenter shop that had original concrete floors.  We nailed down 3" wide strips of 1/2" plywood every 12" then covered with 1/2" ply and then covered with the rubber mat- it came in rolls 4' wide by 50' long- it made a forgiving floor if you dropped sharpened tools or finished pieces on it- less damage ;D

If he is going to be using the floor a lot, the Advantech won't hold up that long, even though it has a 300 day guarantee- but with high traffic over several years, it can start to seperate and flake off.

Just my 2 cents.

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!