iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing question

Started by Bigdogpc, September 19, 2003, 02:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdogpc

What is the going rate for 6" x 8" x 16' pine beams?  How much for the same beam in live oak?  I've been asked and since I am just beginning to saw, I really have no clue.  Thanks!

Fla._Deadheader

Your logs or their's???  I THINK Joey Lowe posted a while back, that, he charges $25.00 per beam, their logs. He is in Texas. We saw slower than most because of the Pine sap, and charge 35cents bd/ft, no matter what we saw. Their logs. We supply labor, my son and I.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

If they were my logs I would shoot for $32 in pine and $64 in oak, though if the customer was gonna buy a lot or become a repeat I would probable lower prices to $25 and $50.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tobacco Plug

If they are the customer's wood, I would probably charge by the hour for sawing them.  You should insist that the customer have plenty of help or a loader on hand to move those large timbers.  A 6x8x16 is pretty big.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

LeeB

hate to soumd like a broken recordbut the live oak is harder than rock. Make sure ypour mill is intune and have a really sharp blade(it won't stay that way long). Keep the live oak outta the sun as it checks badly real quick like. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

smwwoody

I would sell the pine for $35.16 ea and white oak for $41.60
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

RMay

I would cut there logs at $12.78 a beam $200.m or my logs at $28.53 a beam $ 450 m  ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bigdogpc

Thanks guys!  Now I know I was in the ballpark with 32 for pine and 64 for oak.  They only want 4 beams.

Thank You Sponsors!