iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calculating board feet in a log.

Started by Dieselrider, October 31, 2009, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselrider

I am cutting some pine out of my wood lot to build a pig pen and a couple other projects. I have walked around using a Tree stick scale to estimate the total number of board feet in the trees so I know how many to cut. The tree stick is calculating the number of 16 foot logs per tree and gives some estimates as to the total bd/ ft per tree.  I have my list of lumber needed and the lengths needed but, how can I tell how many bd ft of lumber is in a certain log say at eight feet long or at twelve feet long so I can know when I have enough 12 footers and enough 8 footers cut? I am not a logger or a forester but, I have cut locusts for poles and pulpwood etc,but this is the first time I have needed to calculate just what is needed for each length. Is there a standard to use. Thanks.
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

beenthere

You can use the Forum tool box, use the tree volume estimate that needs the diameter at breast height and your log length estimates. :)

https://forestryforum.com/calcs/Board%20foot%20calculator.htm

Hope that helps.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dieselrider

I hereby announce I am a dope! All I had to do was turm the tree stick scale over and there is the exact information I needed. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees!!! Ok, now I am going to hide my head before any of the real loggers and foresters show up. smiley_whacko
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

LeeB

All those real loggers had to find the other side of the stick too. None of them were born knowing how to use it. ;)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Quote from: Dieselrider on October 31, 2009, 11:39:45 AM
I hereby announce I am a dope!

Nope,  The only dumb question is an un-asked question...... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Sometimes I wish that it was as easy as looking on the other side of the stick :).

Good luck with the project!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!